[GS] Game won't start on Mojave?

dan-the-man278

Chieftain
When I try and open the game, either from Steam or from the executable in Finder, I get an Aspyr splash screen that is blank except for the "play" button - on clicking the play button, I get a black window for a few seconds and then a crash, with an error reporting screen. It used to work fine, I'm not sure what has changed! The game files are stored on an external Thunderbolt Drive if that makes any difference, but it shouldn't (as it used to be fine). Any ideas?

OS version is Mojave 10.14.6

EDIT: Already tried verifying local files in Steam, but not done a full reinstall yet (would really like to not have to do that!)

My first guess would be that the problem's related to OpenGL vs Metal. Check out the Full Screen Mac Issues thread and see if that helps.

Best of luck.

Hello. Somewhat late to the party
I recently upgraded to Mojave and I'm getting pretty good performance in comparison to my previous OSX, which was 10.12 Sierra.
There's a noticeable increased fps. Game runs much smoother overall. Although, I haven't tested it for more than 15 minutes.
I'm using an i5 1.6ghz, 8gb RAM and Intel HD6000.
Also, for example Hearts of Iron IV runs much better as well. TW Shogun 2 also runs smoother.
The Intel HD6000 should be metal compatible. However, when running civ6 for the first time, as always, it says my video card is unsupported. There's no option to switch between openGL and metal afaik... So I'm not sure the game is actually using metal.

Edit: the game is using Metal for sure

Last edited:
Top Bottom