1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gameplay Discoveries

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by henyo10, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bjam

bjam Chieftain

You get an additional 10% discount per turn the spy is in a city (10% for 1 turn, 20% for 2 turns...) with a maximum discount of 50% at the 5th turn. At each turn your spy is in a foreign territory he can be detected, so you should send him only when you have enough EP to do a mission.
    Spy detection
    Complete Espionage Mission Cost Guide
    Cloak and Dagger: A Basic Guide to Espionage
    Those 3 threads are really worth reading. :goodjob:

2. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

Just check whether it's salty or fresh water.

3. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

One of the most annoying things in my current game is the two land locked "Oceans" in my territory. One even has whales!

4. henyo10

henyo10 Warlord

im not sure about this but i think having an enemy city with your state religion lowers the espionage cost missions?

5. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

That's correct. If the enemy you're about to perform espionage on doesn't have any cities with your state religion, find the cheapest city to infiltrate, and send 2 spies (in case one gets caught during the wait) along with one missionary for best effectiveness ;)

6. GooglyBoogly

GooglyBoogly Freakamongus

If you control the holy city of said religion it is reduced even further.

7. mystyfly

Before doing late-game espionage missions, sabotage the security buero.

8. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Alternatively, Tectonics sometimes likes to generate really big inland seas... So you can build a "coastal" city, build a lighthouse, get some Fishing Boats, and build a Caravel... only to have your caravel hit another continent just three turns later, populated with a civilization you already found.

9. henyo10

henyo10 Warlord

Grenadiers get a 50% attack vs. Riflemen. Always thought it was 50% generally towards riflemen and same goes for marines and mounted flanking units.

10. Og The Caveman

Og The Caveman Chieftain

Catapults, Trebuchets, artillery and mobile artillery only gain 1 exp when they withdraw, never more than that.

11. VirginiaRounder

VirginiaRounder Warlord

It took me longer than it should have to learn this, but sometimes the the only way to improve the trade route production in your cities is to bribe other civs into stopping trading with others.

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Quechuas only obsolete when you can do maces and axes and spears, unlike normal warriors, that obsolete when you can do axes and spears. Yup, I play with Incas that much :lol:

13. mystyfly

Ques are obsoleted by enemy axes or warriors behind walls :p

Founding any religion earlier than confucianism only hurts you generally.

14. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Or Barb Axemen.

15. NovaDream

NovaDream Chieftain

Why do you say this? Because it means researching religion in place of more valuable techs early on?

16. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

No, but beelining for one like Judaism and ignoring more useful techs like Agriculture can hurt you. Personally I prefer to go AH -> Writing -> Alphabet (Trade for missed techs) -> Currency +> CoL, or if I start with Mysticism, Buddhism(Yay if I get it, if not) -> Priesthood -> Writing -> Alphabet, then Oracle CoL.

17. cj7loop

cj7loop Warlord

I think I've prevented a border city from flipping by doing that, I didn't really see through that.

18. NovaDream

NovaDream Chieftain

I almost always go bronze working first. And use it to chop a settler or worker, and prepare a city near some copper.

19. Og The Caveman

Og The Caveman Chieftain

I've noticed that if you move your settler alone into a tile obscured by fog of war it'll be eaten by a panther.

Always.

20. mystyfly

RE founding religion: 1st you delay worker techs wich is very bad. You need to have land development as number one priority.
    Second, the AI that founds the religion will most likely stick to it until FR. Now if you found one, only the other one will really spread (the AI has way more hammers to waste on missionaries), creating a religious slugfest where you can be the oddball or simply join. Founding that religion hasn't been any use. It only created a difficult diplo situation. Tech pace is high, you're slow since, by your slow developement will have fewer cities, you can't really catch up even with bulbing. This is bad.
    Every game with no AI-AI hatred is bad for the human, that's why lots of ppl try to bribe some AI into attacking another.