Gameplay Discussion of Research

blastoidstalker

The Geographer
I want to open a formal thread for discussion of peoples opinions on what we should research, so people may post there opinions and ideas here.

Research path is partialy dependent on city placement, so it may be more general now and become more focused as a site is chosen.

I am thinking to start with mining to start regardless. It will allow us to build mines and is needed for BW (which as we all now opens up a bunch of options). After this my choice depends on city placement.

Mining is definitely the way to go gameplay-wise. We'll need those mines.

No man hunting is the way to go. We need a scout so we can use the warrior for defence and the scout will get better hut results. Also mining and agri can't be used yet. i don't think the worker is the first thing we will go for, its better to grow before you do that as it sucks food and halts growth.

Also hunting opens the door for husbandry which is key for development of our pigs

Agreed, beeline to AD to work those pigs.
This will also reveal if the are any horses nearby.

Yes, go for hunting, agriculture and husbandry, which also reveals horses.

EDIT: LOL, crossposted same idea.

I do not see the purpose of getting hunting, I would rather go to AH through through agriculture, as we can make farms, we have nothing to camp. I do not like building settlers early, I see it as a waste of resources. I just take my luck with warriors. I would say our first three techs are Mining, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry (I am not to concerned about order) and probably BW next.

Advantages of Hunting:

1. Scouts (value of which is map specific: The larger the map, and the larger the starting land mass in particurlar, the more valuable they are). I could be wrong but this has the "feel" to me like we're in the middle of a landmass of substanial size.

2. Hunting is a pre-req for Archery.

3. Hunting is required for Camps. (So far at least N/A)

I think we should go for hunting first. We need scouts so we can bring our warrior back to the capital. Not to mention building a scout is faster than a warrior.

If you're building a workboat*, you'll probably discover mining AND hunting before it's finished because of the lack of hammers in city radius. But to make sure you can build a scout immediately after the workboat, you should start with hunting. And if you're building a scout after the workboat you might discover AH even before your worker is finished as 3rd production order.

* If city is built on 1 SE of settler spawn place ofcourse..

What do you mean we can't use mines right away?? We sure can. However, good points about Hunting. I like getting AH early as well, since BW isn't much use for awhile (unless we want to whip).

I think I'll leave this up to the Philosophers...

What do you mean we can't use mines right away?? We sure can. However, good points about Hunting. I like getting AH early as well, since BW isn't much use for awhile (unless we want to whip).

I think I'll leave this up to the Philosophers...

I'm saying:
The turns it requires to complete a workboat when settling 1 tile SE will be more than the turns to research hunting AND mining [since lack of :hammers:]. No need to discover mining first if we don't have a worker yet..
Then if u build a scout after the workboat, and only then a worker, we'll have hunting, mining AND animal husbandry discovered before our first worker is finished to actually use those techs...

EDIT: It might differ a couple of turns, i didn't actually check out how many turns it'll take for the workboat and the tech researching, but my experience tells me this..

I agree with NZL, plus, we are better off finding horses and bronze on the map before we plan several new cities.Working Boat, Scout, Worker, Warrior and then Settler will handle this issue nicely, as we have uncovered some resources by then.

What about mining first, and workboat followed by worker? The sooner the hammer situation is fixed, the better, and when hammer poor, they should all go to the most needed items only.

Hunting for a scout, AH for the piggies, and Mining for Mines would all be good bets

Ya so we are currently researching mines. We have hunting-agri-ah

I suggest we research bw after

We are very close to BW, please also toss in Writing, since we need "smart" border expansion.

I would say we need Pottery before writing, granaries are generally higher up the build queue than libraries. Whilst also allowing us to build cottages.

I'd even say we don't need BW for awhile as we've got the horses we don't need any defence as the AI isn't going to be attacking for a few thousand years at least so the only worry we have is barbs (are they on). The only bonus we would therefore get is being able to chop two forests and see where bronze is. Whilst alternatively we could get an early cottage on the go which would speed up the research for anything else after it.

Top Bottom