"gamer" professor conducts sociological study

laffy

Chieftain
An "interesting" sociological study conducted by an actual prof.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/loyola_university_professor_be.html

'City of Heroes' character 'Twixt' becomes game's most hated outcast courtesy of Loyola professor

Loyola University media professor David Myers palmed his computer mouse and zeroed in on his prey.

A role-player in an online game, he aimed the pointer at his opponent, the virtual comic book villain "Syphris." Myers, 55, flicked the buttons on his mouse and magically transported his opponent to the front of a cartoon robot execution squad. In an instant, the squad pulverized the player.

Syphris fired an instant message at Myers moments later.

"If you kill me one more time I will come and kill you for real and I am not kidding."

The chilling text shook Myers two years ago. It served as a telling detail for his ongoing study of social customs in Internet gaming communities.

At the time of his clash with Syphris, Myers was just three months into an in-depth behavioral study of the "City of Heroes/Villains"" online community. Already, someone had threatened to unearth his real identity and take his life.

As part of his experiment, Myers decided to play the game by the designers' rules -- disregarding any customs set by the players. His character soon became very unpopular.

At first, players tried to beat him in the game to make him quit. Myers was too skilled to be run off, however.

They then made him an outcast, a World Wide Web pariah that the creator of Syphris -- along with hundreds of other faceless gamers -- detested.

The Slidell resident plans to soon publish a book drawn from his experiences with the game. The study's results dismayed Myers, who in 1984 became one of the first university-level professors to study video games. He believes it proved that, even in a 21st century digital fantasyland, an ugly side of real-world human nature pervades, a side that oppresses strangers whose behavior strays from that of the mainstream.

In the online realms of "City of Heroes" and "City of Villains," 150,000 or so players from around the world try to defeat computer-controlled comic-book characters, in order to boost their skill ratings and popularity.

Eventually, according to the game's design, the players -- who can choose to play as either heroes or villains -- gain access into an area where they should battle each other. The battles are designed to distinguish the most skilled players.

Myers, who bought "City of Heroes" when it hit store shelves in 2004, quickly learned that players ignored the area's stated purpose. Heroes chatted peacefully with villains in the combat zone. Instead of fighting each other, members of the two factions sparred with computer-controlled enemies..

Myers sensed a research opening. He created "Twixt," a scrappy, high-leaping hero decked out in different-colored spandex suits and rocket boots. He took his character to the virtual war zone and set out to simply battle villains.

Twixt proved difficult to beat. From a distance, he could transport villains anywhere he wished. He always took them to a cartoon robot firing line that instantly defeated whomever he zoomed before it.

During the first few sessions, other players gently informed Twixt that his method of play was unwelcome. But Twixt kept on vanquishing villains.

Mobs of villains then ambushed Twixt, hoping to defeat him so often that he would quit. Meanwhile, Twixt's fellow heroes watched without joining the fray.

One by one, Twixt coolly picked his opponents off. As play sessions passed, popular villains and heroes stepped up their attempts to change him.

"I know (how Twixt plays) is considered 'legal' but this person is getting really out of hand," a user at the game's public message board soon posted. "This guy has got to go."

But no one could stay alive long enough to defeat Twixt or drive him to quit.

Players turned to verbal abuse, hoping an offended Myers would log off and cancel his subscription.

When Twixt celebrated his victories, lobbing messages like "Yay, heroes. Go good team. Vills lose again," in the game's chat box, users like Hunter-Killed responded, "U are a major sh--bird."

Another player added, "I hope your mother gets cancer." Yet another wrote, "EVERYONE HATES YOU."

Myers was stunned by the reaction, since he obeyed the game's rules.

Contrary to some stereotypes, people that play online computer games like "City of Heroes" aren't adolescent misfits. They tend to be what most would consider mainstream adults.

Research shows the average gamer is 24 years old. Three out of 10 are women. Most are college students or work in information technology departments. Only 2 percent are unemployed.

One study even indicated that developing skill in a "highly distributed, global, hypercompetitive" online gaming community can translate into a successful run as a business CEO.

But Myers stirred a different kind of response.

Jon Martin, a longtime "City of Heroes" gamer who befriended Twixt off and on, explained, "They didn't like him or how he played, so they figured if there was enough of them, they could stop him and his evil."

Twixt eventually asked his fellow heroes why they never came to his aid. A hero named "Cryo Burn" answered with another question:

"Who would disrespect them(selves) and their family enough to do that?"

"It started to not be fun," said Myers, a video game aficionado. "I became the most hated, most reviled player."

Game community leaders only intensified their efforts as Twixt became more entrenched. They turned to out-of-game venues such as message boards to punish him.

When Myers took a break from the virtual world and went on vacation for a couple of weeks with his wife and daughters, players noticed his absence. One player started a discussion thread that claimed Myers had been banned from the game because he had called a fellow player a "n----r."

Another posting claimed Twixt was a convicted pedophile.

Then members of those boards, in another threatening tactic, launched campaigns to discover and publish Myers' real identity and address.

Myers reported the abuse to officials at NCSoft, the game's publisher and moderating entity. They acted appropriately, he felt. Players delivering extreme messages tended to do so just once, and Myers assumed it was because the company punished them. Company officials didn't respond to a request for comment.

"But the abuse was so widespread they couldn't completely stop it," Myers said. The company, he noted, had no right to police out-of-game forums.

Though he worried that someone would show up at his Loyola office or home in Slidell and harass him or his family, no player ever succeeded in discovering Twixt was Myers.

Myers revealed his identity and his character's purpose in "Play and Punishment: The Sad and Curious Case of Twixt," an academic paper on his experiment. He published it in 2008 and presented the paper at a video-game conference in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Gamer Martin said that while many gamers treated Myers like a pariah, he doubted anyone wanted to hurt him in real life. And he insisted that Internet games like "City of Heroes" actually do "encourage originality," allowing participants to design original costumes and script complex missions.

But Myers likened his journey as Twixt to a "bad high school experience," especially the verbal abuse and rumor-mongering.

The professor was disturbed that game rules encouraging competition and varied tactics hardly mattered to gaming community members who wanted to preserve a deeply-rooted culture.

He said his experience demonstrated that modern-day social groups making use of modern-day technology can revert to "medieval and crude" methods in trying to manipulate and control others.

"If you aren't a member of the tribe, you get whacked with a stick," he said. "I look at social groups with dismay."

Ramon Antonio Vargas can be reached at rvargas@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3371.

Editor's Note: A July 7 story about Loyola University Professor David Myers' study of the "City of Heroes/Villains" computer game drew material from a draft version that identified some game names used by individuals playing the game. The names people use while playing the game do not necessarily correspond to actual individuals. In fact, different individuals on different game servers can play under an identical name. The names can also be deleted, then re-used by another player. As a result, the names quoted in the newspaper story in no way identify any real-world individual. All player character names were removed from later versions of Myers' study.

Some of the comments are much more interesting, in particular this one, which tells a completely different story:

Iltat said:
I'm actually a CoH player who PvPed both with and against Twixt (I am not any of the players named, and my verbal interactions with Twixt were quite limited). I'd like to clear up a few things that seem to be missing. Note that I am, in no way, discounting the seriousness of death threats, but maybe a little more understanding of what really took place will allow people to relate better to the frustration.

1) Twixt's actions in PvP translated to an investment of time. By teleporting (the action described) villains into a row of firing squad computer-generated enemies, he would give the other character debt. This debt would impede the character's ability to gain experience by cutting it in half for a certain period of time. Thus, anyone who suffered from what Twixt did would pay for it by having their progress cut in half the next time they got the opportunity to play. A full portion of debt could take upwards of 3 hours of nonstop play to be worked off.

Imagine you go play miniature golf. Directly in front of you is a group of 10 children who have no idea what they're doing. You are unable to skip past them, and as is allowed, they refuse to let you pass. Due to this inconvenience, you only get to play 9 holes (or 4, if you're only on a 9-hole course). Would you be frustrated? I sure would be. They didn't break the rules, but they hurt the fun of my outing by specifically robbing me of the time that I had dedicated to accomplishing my goal. It's not much different than traffic, bowling balls getting stuck in the lanes, people talking during a movie, or any other issue that would rob an individual of their free time. The individuals causing your frustration may not be breaking the rules, but they are affecting your enjoyment.

2) Twixt's account of what took place in the PvP zones he visited just plain isn't accurate.

People did chat because many of the players had played together prior to the release of City of Villains (CoH was released in May of 2004 while CoV in October of 2006). Most of us already knew each other. However, that didn't result in a lack of fighting. Many times, Twixt would simply teleport people from battles already in place to his computer-generated death squads. He's presenting the situation as if he was the only one using the zones correctly when, in actuality, he was just the only one manipulating loopholes to allow him to generally be mean to other players. That's the biggest reason why he was despised.

3) Twixt commonly made fun of players he killed.

He did not simply say random hero-supporting things, he oftentimes bragged openly after using his computer-generated helpers to kill someone. Like any other competitive situation, bragging and talking trash will earn people talking back and becoming more upset. He worked to goad individuals into becoming angrier at what he did.

He mentions the forums as a place where people speculated about parts of his life, but he seems to have left out where he posted kill-logs from his time spent in PvP zones. He posted quite frequently on those boards, and he went out of his way to fuel the hate that developed for him. Professional athletes who do such a thing are widely derided by the media and fans. Twixt worked hard to generate hate, he was not simply an innocent victim.

4) Twixt died. A lot.

Twixt perfected his method of generating debt for other players by dying a whole lot along the way. Statements like, "But no one could stay alive long enough to defeat Twixt..." completely misrepresent what happened.

5) Twixt's research plays a role by examining another realm of society, but his results are predictable.

It's not surprising that people get upset when you're mean to them without reason. On an unmarked curb, it's legal for me to park 5 feet away from the cars in front of and behind me, but it's simply rude to do so. If I did so directly in front of hundreds of different people who were looking for a parking spot, it's not unreasonable to think that these individuals would be angry with me. I would say that's completely predictable. It's also not unheard of for such individuals to threaten others in such a situation. The fact that the anonymity of the internet allows such hotheads to go more extreme with their threats shouldn't exactly come as a shock to anyone either. Thus, while I think research into the societies of online communities can be interesting, I don't think Twixt's can be classified as such.

It's a shame that Twixt is the face of the CoH PvP and gaming community. He presents a very one-sided tale that some folks, such as the writer of this article, have apparently bought into entirely. A whole lot of good takes place in that community, but apparently, writing about that just wouldn't sell a book.

discuss.

Sounds like something Adult Diapers would get worked up about.

Edit: Also, I could imagine better sociological research would have resulted from Hatgate.

Yes, I did read the article.

Some people on the internet overreact.

Some journalists don't get the whole story before writing the news.

Nothing new...

I've read this article already and I'm familiar with the Game being mentioned. He was teleporting people to npc drones that attack and destroy the opposing faction(hero or villan). This was fixed in a patch released later. This was a known bug he exploited the game to get kills. This in the mmmorpg world is known as greiving which under the contract hesigned when he got the game has was not allowed to do. So what it's just a game? Well in the game after you die you get "debt" which is the penalty of dying which makes leveling up even harder. The guy that said I'm going to kill you in real life is nothing more than a punk that hides behind a screen and won't go through with it. Big woop what his study shows is if you act like a jerk people will treat you like one good job Loyola.Plus most reviled practically nobody payed attention to this guy...one guy on one server of about 8 different servers...please.

I read the post. It seems the comment you posted in your OP, by Iltat, brings up some good points.

If I understand correctly what is written, some guy treat others like test subject for his studies, act like a jerk and then cry that he's being rejected by the community ?

/facepalm

He gets a book deal out of this? Damn, I might pop by a few TF2 achievement servers for a few days of griefing, maybe they'll offer me a miniseries. :D

Man gets addicted to griefing on MMORPG, decides to try and make it seem like work.

Top Bottom