GameRant: 10 Forgotten Features That Should Return In Civilization 7

The trend today is towards revising history, otherwise yes, slavery should be in - it was the key to ancient civilizations as well as modern ones.

In fact, a lot of features from Civ4 mainly - that may have been the best civ game. What I didn't like about Civ4 was that you could get food without having any farms, so by mid-game you have nothing but towns and in the late game every tile had a windfarm. I think tiles that are used for mines, wind farms or anything other than a farm should not generate any food.

I actually somewhat liked the slider system where you could emphasize science, gold or luxury at a civ level. I also liked the idea of public works and setting the length of the working day, wage rate etc in Call to power. (The length of the working day, distribution of money between land/rent, labour and capital are again key elements of civilization.)

In Civ6, capitalism has existed since the dawn of humanity - but humanity only became wage- and commodity-based relatively recently. Feudalism and other things are abstracted into 'game cards' that provide bonuses that can be swapped in and out like a board game.

In Civ6 gold pre-exists since the dawn of man but cannot be mined anywhere on the map.

Again the trend now is towards 'pay to win board game' with big exaggerated leader graphics and civ bonuses so I don't think we're going to get a more thoughtful Civ7.

Last edited:
In Civ6, capitalism has existed since the dawn of humanity - but humanity only became wage- and commodity-based relatively recently. Feudalism and other things are abstracted into 'game cards' that provide bonuses that can be swapped in and out like a board game.

In Civ6 gold pre-exists since the dawn of man but cannot be mined anywhere on the map.
All economic ideologies are pretty much only represented by policy cards and governments, and that could use some work. It is certainly good that a couple of the more obvious policies are now tied to the kind of government that enables them to exist. The ol' free market communist country is always a stretch too far imho :p

What you're talking about in terms of gold being there as a currency from turn 1 has been that way all throughout the Civ series. It isn't something that Civ 6 added. Of course it's a deliberate abstraction, which isn't at all suggesting that capitalism was in play in antiquity (though I think you'll find most people had a very good grasp on some capitalist notions like supply and demand back then!) I'm open to some way of making this a little less abstract, but I suspect anything that tries to replicate pre-currency trading and hiring and paying etc etc, will take that one part of Civ in too complicated a direction.

Top Bottom