GameRant.com: Sid Meier’s Civilization 7 is Long Overdue

I wrote this in an earlier thread and I still believe it. I lost 2 friends to COVID. Others were hospitalized for > 1 week, and recovered. Since the peak, many friends have taken unscheduled time off to recover. Whether one is working from home or working in the office, losing the talents of key people -- developers, artists, testers -- for a period of weeks due to illness WILL affect the schedule for deliverables.

I wrote this in an earlier thread and I still believe it. I lost 2 friends to COVID. Others were hospitalized for > 1 week, and recovered. Since the peak, many friends have taken unscheduled time off to recover. Whether one is working from home or working in the office, losing the talents of key people -- developers, artists, testers -- for a period of weeks due to illness WILL affect the schedule for deliverables.
Really sorry to hear that. I don't have a lot of friends, but I have heard relatives of neighbors and even people on tv die from covid. If I have few deaths, then there's many deaths out there to the people that have many friends and if not then even better.

Given, upon reading these forums, almost every player of the Civ series has one or more iterations they feel most comfortable with and attached to, and have as a fallback, I don't think a new iteration with significantly unknown territory is really a screaming necessity, to be honest. It's not like a serialized TV franchise.

Given, upon reading these forums, almost every player of the Civ series has one or more iterations they feel most comfortable with and attached to, and have as a fallback, I don't think a new iteration with significantly unknown territory is really a screaming necessity, to be honest. It's not like a serialized TV franchise.

I would be fine with a more refined polished and balanced version of the major elements of Civ7 as long as we got some sort of limited stacking

I would be fine with a more refined polished and balanced version of the major elements of Civ7 as long as we got some sort of limited stacking
Which is absolutely what you won't get. You can't market Civ 7 as "Civ 6, but with the broken bits fixed".

Most likely I buy the next civ game at some point, whether or not it ever gets polished.

Yup. I too am part of the problem.

Mid 40's, no children, plenty of disposable income. I blame myself and others like me for the state of the gaming industry. When companies know that I will purchase 4-6 titles a month, and not play any of them more than an hour or so ....

What is the incentive for the gaming industry to only release "finished, polished" titles when there are thousands (maybe millions?) of people just like me? We buy all the expansions for games we don't enjoy (Humankind comes to mind most recently) hoping that somehow these lines of code will transform the game or make us feel nostalgic.

We buy AAA titles to test our new hardware, and then never play them again.

I don't deny that it's a mental health issue, but it does exist. I'm hoping that posting about it may make more people aware.
Apologies for the slight derail.

Yes, each of us in the Civfanatics community has a particular version that tops their list, that they will fall back to. It's possible to play all the versions, from 3 through 6 plus BE(RT) and Colonization, on PC's running Windows 10 or 11. In Civ7, we're looking for new thinking, new perspectives, on the challenge of leading a civ through history and managing an empire.

But... just outside this community, are tens of thousands of gamers who play on consoles and Macs. For the console players, Civ VI is their first entry into this wonderful franchise. A new iteration that could excite ALL the Civ fans, on PCs, Macs, and consoles, is a "screaming necessity." They would have a choice of two Civ games, and reasons to compare, contrast, and comment. Both the revenue and the mindshare possibilities are very attractive for both the studio and the company.

It's possible to play all the versions, from 3 through 6 plus BE(RT) and Colonization, on PC's running Windows 10 or 11.
You mean 2-6. I know this because my personal favourite standby is Civ2, and the Civ2 Community, especially the Scenario League and ToTPP have done wonders for the game, but a simple to mod to play both the MGE and ToT versions of the game on current OS's have been around for years. I'm not sure if the small, but still active, Civ1 forums have found such a trick, or if they all use old rigs, but I can indeed speak to mention the conspicuous absence of Civ2 from your list of iterations playable on modern machines.

...almost every player of the Civ series has one or more iterations they feel most comfortable with and attached to, and have as a fallback, I don't think a new iteration with significantly unknown territory is really a screaming necessity, to be honest.

With the little gaming time I already have, and the vast options and replayability of a Civ title, I'm quite patient indeed.

I'm not sure if the small, but still active, Civ1 forums have found such a trick, or if they all use old rigs, but I can indeed speak to mention the conspicuous absence of Civ2 from your list of iterations playable on modern machines.
30 years ago we joked, that PC-DOS / MS-DOS are just keyboard drivers with integrated program loader ... :D ... but it is IBM's remaining legacy, that within the PC platform we are still backward compatible.

So the task can be solved by creating a bootable DOS - CD / DVD / USBstick / SDcard. Boot with this medium, configure a RAMDRIVE, copy all the program files (~5.7MB) into that and start the executable there.

(The sys command is used to copy the DOS system files and command interpreter to a disk. The tricky part is that it only knows how to handle diskettes (or hard drives). But such an ISO image can be transferred to a modern medium.)

30 years ago we joked, that PC-DOS / MS-DOS are just keyboard drivers with integrated program loader ... :D ... but it is IBM's remaining legacy, that within the PC platform we are still backward compatible.

So the task can be solved by creating a bootable DOS - CD / DVD / USBstick / SDcard. Boot with this medium, configure a RAMDRIVE, copy all the program files (~5.7MB) into that and start the executable there.

(The sys command is used to copy the DOS system files and command interpreter to a disk. The tricky part is that it only knows how to handle diskettes (or hard drives). But such an ISO image can be transferred to a modern medium.)

Or you have Dosbox, a DOS emulator.

Its a PC franchise that focused on its future and expansion. I was mentioning TV people as an example of having people-similar to the Sid Meier franchise- that can be infected with covid. Not only that but there's plenty of topics on civilization on TV as well.

Its a PC franchise that focused on its future and expansion. I was mentioning TV people as an example of having people-similar to the Sid Meier franchise- that can be infected with covid. Not only that but there's plenty of topics on civilization on TV as well.
It doesn't seem that was the viewpoint when Civ1 or Civ2 (the latter being my favourite iteration) were released. I also see a lot less merit in such a marketing scheme for strategy games of the sort Civ is than a lot of people seem to.

It doesn't seem that was the viewpoint when Civ1 or Civ2 (the latter being my favourite iteration) were released. I also see a lot less merit in such a marketing scheme for strategy games of the sort Civ is than a lot of people seem to.
There's many places out there that are in civilization and don't have a computer or any access to internet. TV advertising could let civ fans that are out there where civilization isn't as complex, have that notification that civ 7 has come out for example. It could serve as a way to help people come back to civilization.

I like Civ IV better than Civ 6 for conquest, although Civ 6 has awesome graphics. There are several mods that would be beneficial to a Civ 7....like to build a peaceful empire by winning WARS with my neighbors and then developing culture and Science.

Last edited:
I’d rather wait and get a game that’s up to my expectations. 30+ years of civ experience should really visible this time.

I don’t actually demand much from civ7, just to be as robust, lean and flexible gameplay-wise as Starcraft 2 or EU4.

No more filler techs, mechanics or graphics in name of “immersion”. Or, at least not at the expense of gameplay.

If something’s in the game, it should have a clear, complex purpose. This includes as basic things like turns. Sc2 is a quite complex game where every decision has a meaning and it’s perfectly fine that games last 15-20 mins.

Its time that developers finally took the game duration as the main benchmark on what to change, add, keep or remove.

I’d rather wait and get a game that’s up to my expectations. 30+ years of civ experience should really visible this time.

I don’t actually demand much from civ7, just to be as robust, lean and flexible gameplay-wise as Starcraft 2 or EU4.

No more filler techs, mechanics or graphics in name of “immersion”. Or, at least not at the expense of gameplay.

If something’s in the game, it should have a clear, complex purpose. This includes as basic things like turns. Sc2 is a quite complex game where every decision has a meaning and it’s perfectly fine that games last 15-20 mins.

Its time that developers finally took the game duration as the main benchmark on what to change, add, keep or remove.
I believe Civ2 has already delivered that description. Many of the later iterations seemed to develop the, "filler techs," and, "extraneous techs, mechanics, and graphics for immersion," to be honest. It's only logical, given today's philosophy for game design in general, except in a few cases, that the pattern you gripe about going will be the gold standard of Civ, and even be compunded, going forward. Civ2 was the highwater mark in the series for the features you speak of, frankly.

I believe Civ2 has already delivered that description. Many of the later iterations seemed to develop the, "filler techs," and, "extraneous techs, mechanics, and graphics for immersion," to be honest. It's only logical, given today's philosophy for game design in general, except in a few cases, that the pattern you gripe about going will be the gold standard of Civ, and even be compunded, going forward. Civ2 was the highwater mark in the series for the features you speak of, frankly.

Regarding extraneous things, I'd say the following: I don't mind feathers, as long as they are attached to muscle.

A good example of good filler techs would be CIV Polytheism. If you don't go for religion, it's basically useless. But its also a prerequisite for Philosophy, Literature and Monotheism. So it's a filler tech for 7 out of 8 civs, for which you can trade if you want, or research it youself. In both cases, it's actually "built-into the real price of Philosophy".

Last edited:
Top Bottom