Gamers beware

They are proper social interactions,if someone is trying to kill you :lol:

Please. Why must we deny reality when we argue?

Are violent video games, TV, movies, etc., likely to lead to increased violence by players/watchers? Duh! (And if "Duh!" isn't enough for you, there's plenty of solid research on the subject.)

Are the manufacturers of GTA protected by the First Amendment? Duh! Is keeping the First Amendment intact, more important than whether or not GTA exists? Duh again!

Do American leaders have options in-between an outright ban on GTA, on the one hand, and saying "to each his own - whatever", on the other? Duh!

FearlessLeader2 said:
Explain how the pix in this link teach proper social interaction.

http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto3/flash/infoScreens/index.html
Try PS2 screens 9 and 12. #9 features 'our hero' firing an AK down onto a surface street from a rooftop. Nice. #12 has 'our hero' heaving Molotov cocktails at some unspecified target. His mama must be proud of him...

ah there we are again, labelling everybody who disagrees with you as 'willfully ignorant' :lol:

I don't need to explain how these pics teach proper social interaction, because they don't, but they don't need to, it's not some kind of educational program. If you can't differentiate between fiction and reality, then something's already very wrong with you, not with society itself.

Are violent video games, TV, movies, etc., likely to lead to increased violence by players/watchers? Duh! (And if "Duh!" isn't enough for you, there's plenty of solid research on the subject.)
actually, there's about the same amount of studiest who claim that it doesn't lead to increased violence.

FearlessLeader2 said:
Explain how the pix in this link teach proper social interaction.
I was not aware computer games were supposed to do that. What is then the role of the parent?

Its a scapegoat to blame societies ills on. Politicians rather not look to tackle tough issues of crime, drugs, and prostitution, because some of their plans might not be popular. Blaming it on a video game is a way to push the blame off themselves to a harmless videogame. On another note, how can a study on video games cost $90 million?

Ok i'll explain it. Greedy capitalist corparations want to make loadsa money by selling these games to kids. Explained!

I would like to point out the GTA is basically allowing to do things you could not do in real life:

Drive like crazy, shoot people with guns, be a pimp and have a wealthy estate, fly helicopters and bash the police.

Evil things indeed, but I guess I enjoy them because I am not going to be a pimp in real life, shoot persons, run my car over them and kill policemen?

GTA offers a lot of freedom, you can do a lot of interesting things like stunts with motorbikes and stuff like that besides criminal acts in a crime-themed city full of stereotypical clichés.

People simply do not want a educational game where they help a grandmother over the road. They want more excitement, and GTA is giving them what they want.

It is about fun, not about learning how to become a better person. :)

I am also think GTA reached limit of normal gaming. Killing monsters, enemies OK. But killing innocent people on streets?

The problem is not games, it is violence in the community (and at home), poverty, marginalization, etc.

Kids raised by their abusive aunt because their parents were drug adicts are not going to be affected by these games.

Kids raised by loving parents in a stable environment are not going to be affected by these games.

Clinton is trying to get publicity and be seen as more conservative (this is one of those false 'family values' issues typically championed by conservative) while getting 90 million for a study that is undoubtedly based in her home district.

DBear said:
no shame at all. OK libs, explain this one!

She may be liberal by US standards but this isnt a liberal stance at all, but an extremly conservative one.

On topic, GTA games are classified 17 + and the median age of San Andreas players is 28. There is nothing to be worried about

Dammnit I played GTA from its first 2D version and played all three 3D GTA games.Have I killed anyone,have I sent anyone to hospital,have I beaten up people in real life just for fun or out of inspiration from the game???No I didnt,those who do that and blame it on the game have serious mental problems and the game in not be blamed if someone is mentally ill.

man, that woman is nuts. no one is forced to buy video games and they are not destroying society. i would like to have GTA, but my parents don't let me get games rated Mature. there is the solution to the problem, Clinton. (she better not run for president in '08)

The problem lies with parents paying too little attention, and that is all an 'investigation' is going to discover. Her heart may be in the right place, but she is going about it in the wrong way.

That said, I think one of the reasons many American 'youths' you encounter on the internet think war is cool is that they play games that make war seem cool...

El Justo said:
though i do not have children, i would never let them play GTA. that game is rediculous. why not play Madden or Civ instead?
yeah, playing genocide and bringing about complete annihilation of an enemy race is so much more fun ;)

of course, if I had kids I wouldn't let them play GTA either, it's not a kids game, but I can't deny that I have great fun playing it myself :)

KaeptnOvi said:
yeah, playing genocide and bringing about complete annihilation of an enemy race is so much more fun ;)

of course, if I had kids I wouldn't let them play GTA either, it's not a kids game, but I can't deny that I have great fun playing it myself :)
yes. well said. :)

i, myself, have no problems w/ the graphic nature of the game. however, why expose children to the epiteths and violence that GTA has?

it should be an 'adult-only' game but we all know that'll never happen. for once (and probably the last time ever), i applaud hillary. (ooo, did i just say that?!?! :lol: )

DBear said:

She probably found out about the game because she saw her husband playing it :lol:

@pepperoni she IS liberal, ultraliberal in fact. However, she is planning on running for president in 2008 so she's been doing lots of things lately to seem more moderate or even conservative on things like this and the war on terror, etc. To be fair, some Republicans who are planning on running are doing a similar thing, trying to appear more independent or bipartisan or whatever.

ComradeDavo said:
Ok i'll explain it. Greedy capitalist corparations want to make loadsa money by selling these games to kids. Explained!
As opposed to the record label that puts out your favorite music?

Top Bottom