GamersGate Void

NBAfan

boss
GamersGate has a new feature called Void. Basically, you can play a game for free, you just have to watch a advertisement before you play.

Oh thank goodness, I assume this means the NDA is over. This thing was in beta for like a year or something.

Anyway, Void is pretty sweet although the selection is limited. You start off with one free game slot which can be upgraded (cool down period between switching games shortened, extra slot for games from the same publisher or share the slot with a buddy's account or just buy another slot entirerly).

As of yet you probably don't need more than one slot active at a time, but it is a great way to try out a whole bunch of Paradox's games (minus the expansions) without a time limit or demo. Most of the other games on there right now aren't very good, but not all. I currently have UFO: Extraterrestrials in one of my slots.

So far it is only available for residents of USA, Canada, Sweden, Norway and Denmark (I don't know if you can change your country in your account to get around this) but they plan on expanding the service considerably.

EDIT: Some notably games available:

Men of War, Kings Bounty: The Legend, Risen, UFO Extraterrestrials, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Elven legacy, Painkiller, Space Rangers, Space Empires IV, Jagged Alliance 2 and others.

There's also EU 1&2 and Vicky 2. I think there's one or two more Paradox games. The other interesting game is Majesty. It's like an RPG, except you play as the country hiring the adventurers. So RTS with a rather big gimmick. I'm going to start playing it tomorrow.

As far as I can tell, you need to wait 14 days before you can change the game in your slot out for another one.

I've had a crazy anti-virus problem with this Void. I'd suggest pausing your anti-virus right before pressing the Install button on Void. It actually just downloads a download-installer which some anti-viruses will see as registry hacks. Unfortunately interrupting that installation botches the install in the Registry so that the installer thinks the game is still in the process of installing. Rebooting the system didn't help either.

fair warning!

This is probably just a problem with Majesty, but alt+tabbing pretty much causes the game to stop responding, as does leaving it alone for somewhere between 10 minutes and an hour.

But all my fancy new games don't mind!

Top Bottom