[RD] Games as a Service

Synobun

Deity
Fallout 76 was already garbage, but now they've announced a new subscription service! You get the opportunity to pay them $100/yr (or $12.99/mo) to play Fallout 76 as a single-player title! You also get some micro-transaction currency lmao

Horrible. Bethesda is garbage.

*hisses at Synsensa*
I don't understand how people tolerate cats being such total *******s. Nobody would keep a dog that bit and scratched you offensively, on purpose, without cause.
*hisses at cardgame*
Fallout 76 was already garbage, but now they've announced a new subscription service! You get the opportunity to pay them $100/yr (or $12.99/mo) to play Fallout 76 as a single-player title! You also get some micro-transaction currency lmao

*hisses at the thought of paying $100/yr for a videogame when you can get them for a tenth of that for life*

quick rant : My mouse is behaving naughty today ! :/

also is STEAM classified as "games as service" thing ? ( well practically You do not own games there, just "rent" them from "their" library right ?) I haven't watched the whole video Aimee posted yet but from what I've already seen I pretty much agree , It is a fraud.

also is STEAM classified as "games as service" thing ? ( well practically You do not own games there, just "rent" them from "their" library right ?) I haven't watched the whole video Aimee posted yet but from what I've already seen I pretty much agree , It is a fraud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_as_a_service

explains it better than i can. Sort of. Not very well. :lol: Im not entirely here right now.

I figure as long as you can keep a copy of the Steam game and be able to play it offline i guess it doesn't count. I'm not sure.

There are some games whose files you can just cut off and make run on their own.

‘Games as a service’ has the same fundamental objection I have to Windows 10: I cannot let somebody remotely control my computer like that. Oh, and Windows monitors all my Internet browsings too, and I get to pay them for the privilege.

IIRC Steam used to have a clause saying if they ever went under they'd give everyone offline access to their games. No idea if that's true, or if it was, if it's still in effect.

I thought it was something Valve said somewhere, but not actually in the contract.

Here's some posts quote from Random Rants.

*hisses at Synsensa*

*hisses at cardgame*

*hisses at the thought of paying $100/yr for a videogame when you can get them for a tenth of that for life*

*hisses agreement*

quick rant : My mouse is behaving naughty today ! :/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_as_a_service

explains it better than i can. Sort of. Not very well. :lol: Im not entirely here right now.

I figure as long as you can keep a copy of the Steam game and be able to play it offline i guess it doesn't count. I'm not sure.

There are some games whose files you can just cut off and make run on their own.

‘Games as a service’ has the same fundamental objection I have to Windows 10: I cannot let somebody remotely control my computer like that. Oh, and Windows monitors all my Internet browsings too, and I get to pay them for the privilege.

IIRC Steam used to have a clause saying if they ever went under they'd give everyone offline access to their games. No idea if that's true, or if it was, if it's still in effect.

I thought it was something Valve said somewhere, but not actually in the contract.

I thought it good to continue the discussion in a new thread.

Last edited:
Conceptually I'm fine with it.

Not a fan of loot boxes.

If your games crap though meh.

I still have fallout 4.

I should amend my original comment that it's a subscription for single player "or" playing with "up to 7" of your friends.

But still ridiculous. You already pay $80 for the game, and they keep delaying updates. And now they want $13/mo or $100/yr if you don't want to play with griefers, while also making it so you get micro-transaction stuff that turns a game you pay for into a pay-to-win title as well. Just hilariously bogus. I'm sure the superfan minority will buy it happily, but Bethesda has done their best to kill public opinion with this iteration.

(Also, should I take the RD off the thread? I just remember some mess over in the game sexism thread. But maybe this isn't so touchy.)

My theory is you still need a good game up front.

GTAV never played online but never felt ripped off as the SP game was great.

(Also, should I take the RD off the thread? I just remember some mess over in the game sexism thread. But maybe this isn't so touchy.)

The RD tag serves as a @Broken_Erika deterrent with her drive-by one-liners. :smug:

But in all seriousness I like the RD tag, personally, because it does seem to make for a better thread when something specific is being discussed. Could be a self-fulfilling prophecy though, as I largely take the piss in non-RD threads and don't in these.

Who are these crazy people paying a subscription for FO76 ?
Go buy Outer worlds by Obsidian for $60 instead

People with too much money. And who like for the brand name maybe.

For the record, I'm pretty intrigued by a game that I just bought on sale at GoG for ninety-seven cents. It appears to have been better debugged than any BethSoft title since Morrowind. Other than the fact that the main character is a cockroach and all the other characters are also insects, of course.

A game for $1? Sign me up! Which one is it? :)

Moderator Action: I've merged the posts Aimee quoted into this thread, so that they're all in one place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom