Games do not show in multiplayer lobby

morbidoats

Chieftain
Hello, I've been searching around for an answer to my problems but couldn't find any previous posts about it, so I had to start a new one.

A friend and I have been playing multiplayer civ4 for years on windows XP via the multiplayer lobby with only the normal issues there. We started playing the Rise of Mankind mod that way as well, loading the mod and then going to the multiplayer screen, noticed that only RoM mod games would show up in the lobby once that was done, no problem! However, I upgraded my computer and OS to windows 8, had to repurchase Civ4 (i had the physical copy of Civ4 complete before but the disk has long since been lost), and did so thru Steam D2D. I got RoM back in and tested it single player, worked fine. Tried to make a new multiplayer game the same as we've always done and our games are not showing up in the lobby. Didn't worry about it because he was upgrading to windows 7 anyhow, and with that upgrade could make C2C possible. so after he upgraded to 7, dl'd C2C, we tried to connect again and same issue. our vanilla games are fine, as well as the vanilla mods, we can connect with those fine, but none of our player created mod games will show up in the lobby. I assume, and could be incorrect, that this issue is because i used steam this time around, and he does not. anyone know? i tried removing all the civ4 info from the steam folder and making it its own folder thinking i could bypass steam but this does not work as steam seems to have embedded itself within the civ files.

anyone know a fix?

by the way, we were sure to have the same version of C2C... so sadly it isnt as simple as that

also we thought that it would be better to use direct ip, but found that we had more problems that way, with OoS errors non stop.

also we thought that it would be better to use direct ip, but found that we had more problems that way, with OoS errors non stop.
Direct IP is the only way that works somewhat but unfortunately there has not been any proper maintenance of the multiplayer state of the game (aka fixing OOS errors) lately.
There have been few OOS reports with the right logs and we have several modders that started programming into the DLL without any real idea what OOS safe programming means (and what to look out for).
So I have to admit that I have not been very motivated to fix OOS errors in the last months as very few people play C2C in simultaneous turn multiplayer (hotseat or play by email don't have these kind of issues).

Nonetheless if people really request it and there are some proper OOS reports with the right logs then I will probably look into it.

Thanks for the reply, but any idea why this problem same for the RoM mod, when we were playing fine before i switched OS and started playing thru steam?

Thanks for the reply, but any idea why this problem same for the RoM mod, when we were playing fine before i switched OS and started playing thru steam?
The lobby has always been somewhat unreliable for mods. We don't know for sure what it looks at to see if the version is compatible or not.

Top Bottom