1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Games keeps crashing mid-game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by chaz1356, Jul 26, 2007.

1. chaz1356

chaz1356 Warlord

I recently bought and installed BTS and started playing a game but 5 minutes in the mouse stuck and the game crashed. I tried it again and again but the same thing kept happening. I tried reinstalling the game (3 times) but the same problem kept occuring. Has anyone else had the same problem and knows how to fix it???:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I seriously want to break something!

2. Moon Pine

Moon Pine Nuke Attack!!!

I met several crashes, too. Most of them were between a turn ended and next turn began.

3. viz

viz Prime Minister

Mine crashes randomly when loading saved games. After about 1/3 of the loading is complete it drops back to desktop and displays an error. I'll get a screenshot uploaded next time.

I also get occasional instances where the mouse rollovers (tech details, diplomacy details etc) don't initialise. However, opening and closing a city screen fixes the problem every time without fail.

4. SoCal

SoCal Chieftain

The first night I only had the video memory allocation error (discussed in http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233408 and http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233385). Last night I started a hot seat game with the NextWar mod and at about the two hour mark the game froze. I rebooted and I got the video memory allocation error once and get blue screens of death after 20 minutes. A poster at apolyton.net (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=168561) also had similar issues.

Tonight, I am going to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic on my PC, reinstall DirectX 9.0c and install the latest drivers for my video card. I will play the existing games that I got the errors with and start a new one without any mods or user generated maps.

5. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

If you have saves that crash, then please post them here. Makes it possible to actually fix the bugs that cause them.

6. SoCal

SoCal Chieftain

After using a mem checker, reinstalling DirectX 9.0c and getting new video card drivers, the solution was to drop the graphics down to "medium". I had to do this on my laptop for vanilla but never for my "main" pc. Very annoying! :mad:

7. Gatsby

Gatsby King

Here is a save from RFC: Bts that crashes, if someone would please have a look. There is a CTD at the end of the turn right after I met Isabella (who's face doesn't show properly btw) and just before I meet Germany. I've just installed the latest drivers and directX and the problem persists. I don't think it's a hardware related problem because as I have said before, Vanilla and Warlords (and their respective RFC's) worked just fine (the game would sometimes auto-minimize itself, but never CTD).

Attached Files:

8. rnoble26

rnoble26 Chieftain

I don't know what is wrong with my game but it keeps crashing on me right around the 1900's, I say around because its never at the same place. It has done this for Civ IV, Warlords, and BtS. I have done all the updates, downloaded all the patches, and it still crashes. Does anyone please have any suggestions. I have played Civ for a long time and Civ IV is the only one I have had a problem with. PLEASE HELP!! I am missing out on some good Civing.

9. Gatsby

Gatsby King

I think I have just found a solution (of sorts) to the crashing problem, at least in the RFC mod; in my case, I actually had to increase graphics from "low" to "medium"! However, I say it is a solution "of sorts" because now there is a problem with newly explored terrain not appearing properly- for example, when I find a mountain tile for the first time only the peak of the mountain appears and the rest of the tile remains black.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. The CTD still happens, it just takes longer to happen...

10. Zloth

Zloth Chieftain

Hmmm, could be badly installed drivers. If you just install your video drivers without uninstalling the old ones, you might get bits of both versions on your PC. Sometimes you even need something like DriverCleaner to get the whole thing cleared out.

Re: crashing around 1900 - how around? Is it within a year of that every time? Is it every time you research a certain technology or make a certain Wonder?

Re: rollovers/tooltips - me too. Drives me batty. When Civ4 first came out it was really bad. Now, with BtS and a completely new PC, I still see the problem fairly often. VERY bad to have this happen when an event choice comes up.

11. wthrfrk80

wthrfrk80 Chieftain

I have had 2 mid/late game crashes to desktop where I get the message "encountered a problem and needs to close." Both times it crashed at the end of the turn where I declared war on another civ. Another forum member, "lankypeter", has expericenced a similar problem.

If I save the game after declaring war, the save immediately crashes upon attempting to reload.

I have already un-installed my old nVidea drivers and installed the latest ones; but the problem persists.

Anyone else notice a game crash in mid/late game after declaring war?

12. wthrfrk80

wthrfrk80 Chieftain

I forgot to mention that I was in Multiplayer Mode, Internet Games when the 2 crashes occured. My opponent had already retired from the game, and his civ was assigned to AI.

13. atomic83

atomic83 Chieftain

My game is crashing when ever i build a wonder the video will start to play and then it crashes to the desktop, when i load the auto save again the next time i play it will work for a few turns till i build another wonder anyone else having this problem? it only happens after i build a wonder,

14. jeepxj33

jeepxj33 Chieftain

i am having a similar problem i start a game and about the 10th turn the games goes black and the music keeps playing. the pc is totally hung until i power it off and on again. any help would be great

15. SoCal

SoCal Chieftain

I had the similar issue happen last night after various graphics were messed up.:mad: :(

16. Monnock

Monnock Chieftain

In response to drivers being messed up, recently BtS crashing prompted me to finally do a complete re-format of my computer back to factory defaults and re-installed everything. Upon booting up the game, within a few turns I got the exact same error message from my save game. Up until the late 1900's I had absolutely no problems at all, which makes me suspect that it has to do with all the junk it has to keep track of, but these crashes always happen in-between turns.

Being so late into the game it takes me a while to take a turn, and usually it happens some time into running the game without any apparent reason other than just playing that particular save 'too long.'

17. Nordfeldt

Nordfeldt Noob Modder

Hi guys

I have problems with a mid-game crash aswell. I'm in year 1506 and when I hit the next turn button it just keeps saying "waiting for other civilizations". I've tried on two computers and waiting for an hour, nothing happens. It's pretty annoying because I have spent so much time playing this game, I'm also reluctant to start a new game if it happens again.

By the way it's with the next war epic mod loaded.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

18. Nordfeldt

Nordfeldt Noob Modder

Hi

Here is the save file, hit the next turn button two times, between years 1506-1508 it crashes.

19. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I get mid game around the 1500's as well and I get the message 'we have encoutered and error and need to close. This occurs right after I hit the turn button. This has occured MANY times of several separate games. What I have done is restart earlier and change what I did. I would not build this wonder or I would change a civic and that would allow me to advance PAST where it previously crashed. This is annoying to say the least but I cant explain why it would crash but if I go back and change my path it would continue. This makes me believe it might either be a memory error or its just having a hard time keeping track of everything going on.

20. wthrfrk80

wthrfrk80 Chieftain

A lot of people have had the same exact problem; so have I on several occaisions. Hopefully the game developers are aware of this bug by now and will fix it with the next patch. Any developers out there than can confirm this??