Games like CIV?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by backthief, Jan 15, 2012.

1. backthief

backthief Chieftain

Hello all

Like a CIV fan i am, i am always looking for similar games like our belvoed one. Any suggestions?

I recently tried Anno2070, but wasnt exactly what i thought.

2. mintegar

mintegar Warlord

There a quite a few space themed 4x games out, but i'm not sure any is as good as civ4.
    E.g. Galactiv Civilization, AI Wars, Sword of the Stars

The feel of them is quite different. Your working with abstract future technolgies and your mostly building bases on planets in fixed position determined by the starmap.

Probably best to try some civ4 mods if you haven't already. Look in Mod Forum. Fall from Heaven, RoM / AnD, Planetfall are very good.

3. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

There's Europa Universalis 3 if you want super hardcore micro

4. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

There is the Total War series, but that is more focused on combat than empire building.

5. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

What aspect(s) of Civ are you looking for? The building part, exploration and colonization, or the conquering?

BTW, I'm kinda considering Anno 2070: what part or parts disappointed you about the game?

6. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

I was addicted to Europa Universalis II for a long time, but could never get into EU III.

7. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Conquest of the new world. Although its old now

8. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

For a carbon clone of Civ2 with Civ3 graphics and completely ******** global warming enviro-fascism, Call to Power 2.

9. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

cIV mods can give you any type of gameplay you want.

10. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

The fall from heaven 2 mod is my favorite alternative to normal Civ 4.

Although a completely different game, if you like chess and civ, you should love might and magic heroes VI. Anno games are more like sim city, might and magic is much more like chess with RPG exploration elements to it.

11. backthief

backthief Chieftain

I didnt like the quest and campaign. I sincerily hoped for a straight up strategy game, a mix of CIV with Simcity

12. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I want to second "sword of the stars". I enjoyed that game alot.
    I did play it before I found civ4. But now I play only civ4. :)

You colonize planets, research technologies and design spaceships consisting of the parts you have researched.
    Then you build the ships you have designed and wage war with them.

Almost everything is turn based, but the battles are in real time. Quite interesting mix. ;)

13. BooNL

BooNL Chieftain

One of my favourite 4x games is still Galactic Civilizations II.
    The tech tree is insanely huge where every race has unique starting techs. The combat and buildings strategies are varied and every game is different, pretty fun. It isn't quite as abstract as most space civ games, though it skims the border quite a bit.

Another good series is the Master of Orion series, with II being the best. It's quite heavy on the abstract though and though the game is good, there aren't a lot of varied strategies to go for. The diplomatic victory conditions ruin half the game as you can't stop it like you can in CIV.

As for historical 4x games like Civ, there's Call to Power, which is basically a civ clone (wasn't it an old partner of Sid Meiers who made the game? Not sure).

Heroes of Might and Magic have been mentioned which is a great series, I personally like 3 and 4 the most. The games are quite difficult though as everything depends on your timing. Also, it has more of a boardgame feel. Like Civ4 compared to Civ5. Civ4 is basically the recreation of the world, Civ5 is a boardgame where everyone is a player trying to win.

14. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

If you want to play Heroes of M&M, play Age of Wonders or Lords of Magic instead. Both excellent games, if dated.

15. krazybastid

krazybastid Chieftain

1503 AD is my favorite game after Civ4BTS on computer. It's not the same. 1503 AD is like a boat/settlement game where you build a number of things trade in alot of goods and exotic goods and the map is a giant sideways square where you compete with up to 5 AI's. The thing is it's pretty easy if you know what your doing. The AI never declarte war on you unless you enter there territory with militairy or lode your trade ship with cannons. The pirates attack but its really not that bad and piates only attack your shipping. They never land troops. If you deside to declare war on an AI. They can land troops but the AI in that game is really dumb. The AI only puit up a good fight when your invading there main settlement. Its real easy to take there colony settlements.

16. JK_47

JK_47 Chieftain

I don't have much to add to this conversation; you've all listed the games I spent most of my 4X/Strategy experience playing. Except...

Pharoah. A city-builder, nearly a clone of Caeser III, except you are at the Nile's whim and must construct wonders which can take a long, long time.

Mount and Blade; Mount and Blade - Warband; Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword. Really neat games that I lost about 2-3 months to during 2011. Similar to Sid Meier's Pirates!, but entirely on land and more empire management, if you wish.

~JK_47

17. Seraiel

Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

Those games are really really good. But there is no game actually, that can beat Civ IV imho, none even comes close to it. Played GalCiv 1+2 and all of the MoOs. Only games I had that much fun with as with Civ were MMORPGS like DAoC or Warhammer, but that's a totally different Genre.

18. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Glad to see you are still the global warming lover like we all know you :D

I seem to own the same game. Seem, as in my version the AI does attack you, does not do a decent job in defending it's home settlements (just unloading cannons, shoot, and get them in your ship again ensures you can kill all melee units). I do like the game, though.

19. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Proving that you haven't actually played the game. You do realise that Envirofacism IS a government type in the game, right? And they get to build the eco equivalent of a nuclear terrorist unit? That is even more powerful than actual nukes?

I don't know whether CtP2 is prescient or just plain ********. For the sake of the future of humanity, I am going with the latter.

20. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

Is 1404 any beter? At least there is some time overlap with Civ4. I found 1404 for the standard fire sale price and bought it but I haven't gotten tired of Civ yet so I have yet to install it.