1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

games on large maps

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by miaasma, Nov 11, 2016.

1. miaasma

miaasma Prince

the map feels much smaller and the spawning locations feel uncomfortably close together; i've resolved to putting 8 players on a large map to circumvent this issue

has anyone else who has played a large map game noticed this? is it just me?

nzcamel and MisterBoomBoom like this.
  2. Staller

Staller Chieftain

I usually play with 10 players and the usual for 10 players map is big enought, and i always have a lot of good places for my settlers, and after i settle some cities, AI can settle between on near in bad locations

3. Roller123

Roller123 Prince

there is no reason to play bigger maps because the AI doesn't expand so once you grow past ~7 cities you autowon. and the rest of the game is just clicking through turns.

comatosedragon likes this.
  4. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

I play on the largest map size (can't remember the name), with the standard number of civ (think it's 12+me, but not sure) and on continental map. The starting locations are close but not so much. You have enough space to found 4/5 cities.
    You can try to lower the sea level when you set your game to get a little more space.
    May be true in some games and false in others. In my current game AI is flooding the map with cities

nzcamel likes this.
  5. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

It's no wonder if the maps feel smaller; they *are*. Specifically the larger maps; until Standard size they're about the same size as Civ V, or even a little bigger. But once you get to Large and Huge, they're very much smaller than in Civ V.

I'm not sure where I originally got these numbers from; probably Reddit. You may distrust them if you want, but I see no reason for anyone to lie about this:

Civ V Large map: 104 x 64 = 6,656 tiles
    Civ VI Large map: 96 x 60 = 5,760 tiles (15,6 % smaller)

Civ V Huge map: 128 x 80 = 10,240 tiles
    Civ VI Huge map: 106 x 66 = 6,996 tiles (46,4 % smaller! :eek:)

Why they did this is uncertain, but I suspect it had to do with fitting the game into their 'locked in' system requirements. If someone couldn't play properly on a Huge map, there might be too much complaints. Basically it's corporate suits triumphing over creative tinkerers yet again. :sad:

EDIT: Ofc custom map sizes can override these limits, thankfully. If you look in the 'Maps and Map Scripts' forum here at CFC, Gedemon has made a script for generating Giant and Ludicrous size maps already. Iirc, Giant is 180 x something, so it should be enough. :D On his world map (that is the main thing about his mod), that size slowed down my game pretty fiercely though, so make sure your computer is up to scratch if you try it (I dare not even try to load a 'Ludicrous' sized map :lol:).

nzcamel likes this.
  6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Indeed, Civ VI huge map is much closer to Civ V large map size.

But in the other direction,both "Tiny" & "Small" in Civ VI were increased in size so much they are closer to the next higher size in Civ V.

Civ VI standard map size is indeed slightly bigger than Civ V.

Basically they've greatly decreased the difference in map sizes between Civ VI between the various sizes.

7. JosephC

JosephC Warlord

I've posted it a few time but you can always modify the config files. I've set my "Huge maps" to 212x132 (x2 size of default). No major performance issues, turn times have gotten a little longer (approx 30-40 seconds) but not "Civ V" long. I'm currently in the modern age. I've killed off a few 3-4 civs and there are still 14 remaining.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Civ 6 is only 32-bit, which would mean that RAM is capped at 4 Gigs (I've never seen Civ6 use more). If that's the case the map sizes they've chosen probably have something to do with this limitation. I can't think of any reason any new game isn't 64-bit. Even the latest consoles are running 64-bit OSs with 8 gigs of ram.

8. joncnunn

It's in the official minimum specs that it requires a 64 bit machine.
    Also the Ludicrous map mod above used the entire 6 GB of VRAM on the creator's graphics card; and that was with graphics settings set to minimum.

9. kampori

kampori Warlord

Only play on the largest map, and am always 8-10 tiles away from at least 2 capitals. It sucks.

I now play only in Huge, with 8 civs involved. Last game 7 of us were on one continent, and last civ had an entire continent to himself and 90% of the CSs.
    My current Brazil game, opposite. I am alone on my (barren and pointless) continent m, and I only have a single CS to keep me company and be suzerain of. It's ridiculous.

10. miaasma

miaasma Prince

i figured the larger maps were smaller than civ 5's large/huge maps. i don't mind sometimes starting near somebody but it's annoying to run into 3 civs with nearby capitals by like turn 10 on a consistent basis. there aren't always a lot of good settle spots and on higher difficulties they'll almost always be gone, so this can get tedious quickly

this doesn't reflect my experience as consistently as you put it, but this did happen in prince games sometimes. it happens far less in king games

11. bladex

bladex Emperor

yep everytime i am surrounded the Ai is like 10-15 tiles away from me ALWAYS

nzcamel likes this.
  12. Cao Cao Mengde

Cao Cao Mengde Warlord

I love how close they are to me. It ramps up the race for good territory and the possibilities of early to middle era warfare.

13. bladex

bladex Emperor

i just block them in using mountains and what not and expand my borders right up to the tell them to piss off when they say i'm too close and my army is too close. than when they try and fail miserably to DOW me i end up taking a few of their cities and it all ends up better for me :p

14. joncnunn

15. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Agree. Playing on a huge map and was quite surprised (when discovering quite a lot of the world with just galleys) that its not as big as Civ V. I even reduced the computer players to 8 and it still feels a bit 'close'. I'm not too annoyed because I tend to reduce the number of AI players anyway but it would have nice to have a 'huger' option!

16. Sekraan

Sekraan Chieftain

Perhaps difficulty is a factor? I find that AI are nestling up to me more often than not on Immortal and Deity when on a contiguous landmass. They will even sneak in between my cities settle behind me, the jerks.

The AI starts with an obnoxious 3 settlers on Deity. Sometimes they keep churning out settlers like no tomorrow (Rome has been particularly annoying, in games I've played) for the rest of the game.

Island/Fractal/Shuffle maps have been hit or miss, but Pangea has indeed felt crowded much of the time, especially at higher difficulties. I feel like the AI didn't get in my face quite so fast in Civ V though my memory could be faulty.

17. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

This may help explain their new map sizes:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/why-are-the-maps-so-small.600612/page-2#post-14552273

So, if you've always played Huge in Civ 5, with close to the standard amount of civs, then Civ 6 is definitely going to feel a bit more crowded. Especially, as Sekraan said, if you play on Emperor and above, since the AI also starts with one more settler than they did in Civ 5. So, things will feel even more crowded faster than before.

18. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I use the YAMP, and play on Enormous maps. It is recommended to play with 16 civs I cut it down to 1 and in the 'settings' for that mod you can increase the distance the majors start from you from the default 9 tiles to 30 which feels MUCH better~!

19. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

The main problem I feel is that civs spawn to close together. It is a design choice I think they made because they made it so ancient warefare was more common and preferred.

In a pangea game I just started on huge, I had 2 civs within 15 tiles and 1 within 20-25. I just spammed warriors and archers and eliminated them early. Now I have half the map to myself. Of the other half, the AI only take up about 1/4 of it because they are so close together.

20. RandV

RandV Chieftain

I'm not sure how much this is a factor, but anyone else notice that city state count is locked in at 1.5 city states per 1 civ? So for every two civs added to the game you get an extra 3 city states. And if you're playing on a map and you cut out two civs, you're also cutting 3 city states from the map.