games that have ruined your life (or almost)

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by shmily_dana, Mar 16, 2007.

1. shmily_dana

shmily_dana Warlord

Many years ago I was caught playing "Wizardry" on my MAC at work by my boss. Somehow, I managed not to get fired.

So has anyone else have a game almost destroy some part of their lives? (work, school, marriage, family, etc)

2. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Russian Roulette.

3. Metromonkey

Metromonkey Prince

Do you play with your family and friends?

4. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

When I was studying in a university, several games completely wracked my life and my GPA to hell:
    1)Simulations: Simcity, Caesar III, Railroad Tycoon, and so on...
    2)KOEI series of (Edit: Uncharted Water), I'm lucky that I don't play their RTK series.
    3)Redalert, Starcraft, C&C, AOE 2 and other RTS series, again, I'm lucky that I don't get involved in Warcraft 3.
    4)Civ, need I say more?

5. D'Artagnan59

D'Artagnan59 The Gascon

2 is New Horizons.

I'm positive. I have it on my Genesis.

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

No games.

At least, I don't think.

7. teccuk

teccuk Lurker Extrordinaire

Simcity... all of them
    Civ... all of them
    Inselkampf and Travian
    Oh and Transport Tycoon

Damn games!

8. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Civ3. Although in the long run I think it worked out since I now make games for a living.

9. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

I protest to KOEI for abandoning single-player version of the game Uncharted Waters!

10. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

All of them.

11. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

CHampi and Civ 3 almost made me fail my BSc degree......

12. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

Games in general really held me back.

13. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

All of them, starting with Red Alert 2, circa 2001.

14. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Final Fantasy XI, a MMORPG (Yes this final fantasy IS actually a mmorpg).

It took up all my time! Maybe i should thank the person who stole my account and changed the password. :p

15. Cornstalk

Cornstalk Chieftain

World of Warcraft at one point really consumed my life to the point that it was all I thought about even if I wouldn't play it for a day (which was rare in itself). Thankfully this made me grow increasingly bitter towards the MMO because it felt like I was in a bad relationship that even Dr. Phil wouldn't be able to help resolve the differences with...

With the release of Burning Crusade I had become disenchanted with WoW's increasingly poor choices in game design enough that I didn't even get the xpac and have turned off my account. The game still torments me once and a while, but all it takes is a trip to their whine fest forums to remind myself why quitting really was a good thing for me.

MMO's are specifically designed to steal every free moment of your life to keep your subscription active (and therefor you constantly paying) and having been sucked in to them a few times (WoW being the worse) I understand why China is enforcing MMO limits. They're getting to be more destructive then alcoholism and gambling problems on a standard family unit. :(

16. teccuk

teccuk Lurker Extrordinaire

You know there is a serious lesson to be learnt here......

Nah, maybe not.

Actually SimCity2000, Civ3 and Cornstalk is right, MMO's are evil. And don't think browser based MMOs are any better than client ones :S

17. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I think the closest a game has come to ruining my life was when I got Half Life when I went to university. I was playing it for the first time and it was exams week in May, around this time. I had to turn in a paper by a certain time that day and I kept reminding myself "Okay, turn in this history paper at 1pm." But Half Life sucked up my time and the next time I saw the clock, it was 2:30pm.

I raaaaaaaaan across campus and got a D in the class. :lol: Luckily it was more of a filler class than one that was for a requirement of sorts.

World of Warcraft probably had the highest possibility for such but never came as close as Half Life. :D

18. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

I got a little close to being addicted to games around sixth grade maybe, but luckily reading and sports kept me out, taking up most of my time. My first three years of high school I really didn't play much.

Then, last January, I bought Guild Wars. My high school is easy enough to carry a 4.0 without effort, but otherwise, I play the game way too much, and I can see it messing me up in college. I should probably never have bought it, but it's too fun to stop now.

19. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I don't think I've ever had a game come close to 'ruining' my life. Closest I got was with games like TIE Fighter and Civ2, in which I would literally forget the time before realising it was 3am. But the worst this affected was homework when I was at school, though I don't doubt revision suffered a bit too, sometimes.

20. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

Any Pokémon game, probably because it's handheld and I therefore can play it A LOT. Now that summer break is coming it's time to dust off the GBA. :cool: