Gamespeed

Aristarchus

Chieftain
Hello,

Just started playing CiV after a hiatus from the series--played a good amount of SMAC and TONS of Civ III, then tried Civ IV and didn't much like it (blasphemy I know). Now I'm playing V and enjoying it, despite its flaws; I really like the hexes and 1UPT. However I do wonder about speed. I'm playing on whatever the quickest speed is, since I have a busy life. I like how fast workers build improvements, however I do find that when I research a tech that grants me a unit, I can only get one or two of that unit before it's basically obsolete because of subsequent research. Is the latter a function of gamespeed, or does it scale?

I play on huge maps because I always liked big epic games, but while I used to prefer a more "marathon" feel in terms of speed, that was before I had two kids. :)

Also, it's 1990 and I just got tanks. Steam says I've been playing for about 80 hours. Empire is about 16 cities, and I just wiped out the Iriquois, my first real war. I have trouble keeping my income and happiness positive all the time. I was excited when I got railroads and built several, but my income went red so I ripped them all out and rebuilt the roads. That was a learning experience. Like I say, I'm still pretty noobish.

the duration before units go obsolete is definitely related to game speed, on marathon a warrior can be top dog for a good 50 turns.

thankfully you can (and should) upgrade units for gold.
so you can have your initial warrior go -> swordsman -> longsword -> rifleman -> infantry -> mechanized infantry

even on standard some units seem to have a super short shelf life... I'm looking at you lancers... so playing quick has GOT to be crazy....

But yeah... almost every unit has a complete upgrade path, so at least you can build them

They may all upgrade, but the archer/crossbow unit promotions are useless once they become riflemen.

They may all upgrade, but the archer/crossbow unit promotions are useless once they become riflemen.

Not true.... the "rough"/"not rough" terrain promos transfer across... at least they do for Keshiks and Camel Archers.... you'll see 2 separate bonii in the combat tooltip....

I'm like you in that I usually don't have much time to play so I've messed around with game settings to maximize what time I do have. I've found that the gamespeed doesn't really have much effect on the amount of real time the game takes (I haven't experimented with this much in CivV but I know that was the case in Civ IV). With faster game speeds each turn is much more important so there isn't as much room for error, usually I play at standard speed.

What I've found to have a major impact in the amount of time a game takes is the size of the map. The bigger the map the more real time a game takes, there's just a lot more to do. Also with the bigger maps you need a computer with more horsepower to keep up with everything that's going on late game. My computers aren't that up to date so I usually play on small maps.

So if you want to play the longer gamespeed go ahead.

unfortunately marathon also sucks, while you can use an army for longer, the effect vanishes because of the ridicolous amount of turns needed to build a unit, i'm talking about 17 turns for a tank for quite high production city, i'm not talking about very early game where all you do is basically:

-First city, building a worker = 25-30 turns don't remember
-After a really boring relationship with next turn button, you finally get your worker, after some turns you get your first tech which in my games is usually mining
-You send your worker to build a farm in a nice river grassland tile right next the city :D
-Wait another 20 turns for building that farm
-After those turns you discover a horse source in the capital, sending your worker in
-Another 20 turns for building it
-Rage quit
Also agreements last TOO long, 90 turns

PS: what a funny censoring system here :sad:

Not true.... the "rough"/"not rough" terrain promos transfer across... at least they do for Keshiks and Camel Archers.... you'll see 2 separate bonii in the combat tooltip....

it shows two separate promotions, but if you look at the actual numbers only the ranged/melee one apply. ie horseman -> keshik with shock 3 accuracy 1 will say +65% open terrain, +20% open terrain ranged, but their 12 ranged strength only goes up to 14.4 from the accuracy.

a different thread on this is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=407474

I can only get one or two of that unit before it's basically obsolete because of subsequent research.

It only gets worse. In my current Huge game, it's 1824 and I'm having a space race with Russia (and I might lose :(). By the 1870s, a cold war just turned red hot.

Top Bottom