Gamespot Preview (May 25, 2007)

Except we are running out of leader spots!

I couldn't agree more. Personally I'm hoping for Japanese and Spanish/Arab. They seem to me to be the civilization really suffering under a limiting leader personality.

BTW, I'm rooting for Meiji and Felipe II/Harun al Rashid, if you wondered..

Ninjas? That means that pirates must be in for sure, for game balance. Arrr.

18 new buildings, 25 new units, 100 random events

This is just massive!I didn't even imagined that they would add so much content, (Warlords added just 2 units and a few buildings).
My only question is can it be true?They are going to add nearly 1/3 of the units available in Civ4 +Warlords.
18 Buildings is likely due to Corporations, Spy buildings and buildings related to Space Race.
100 Random events shows how much quality this xpack will be!
Pesonally i would buy this xp even if it has the same price of CIV4 (Sheesh don't tell that to Firaxis!)

Ninjas? That means that pirates must be in for sure, for game balance. Arrr.

Privateers (although not really pirates) were confirmed a while ago. Check Methos' BtS Info Center. I am stoked that privateers are back in the game. I feel that they are an important part of history.

If barbarian naval units are included in BtS (I've never seen one in vanilla or warlords), then they would be considered pirates. One large difference between privateers and pirates being that privateers still had a devotion to a country. Pirates attacked anyone.

This is just massive!I didn't even imagined that they would add so much content, (Warlords added just 2 units and a few buildings).
My only question is can it be true?They are going to add nearly 1/3 of the units available in Civ4 +Warlords.
18 Buildings is likely due to Corporations, Spy buildings and buildings related to Space Race.
100 Random events shows how much quality this xpack will be!
Pesonally i would buy this xp even if it has the same price of CIV4 (Sheesh don't tell that to Firaxis!)

I bet these numbers include 10 UU's and 10 UB's.

EDIT: Though 8 new buildings, and 15 noncultural related units is still awesome.

Or at least, if not important, readily merchandisable!

I am assuming that you are saying Pirates are readily merchandisable, but unimportant in human history...

Yes, generic stereotypes of pirates are merchandisable (E.X. horrible movies such as the Pirates of the Caribbean I, II, and III). True piracy has been around since times immemorial. The Assyrians struggled against pirates in the Persian sea around 700 B.C., Alexander as well around 330 B.C., Julius Caeser was held captive by pirates, everyone knows about the Golden Age of piracy during the 17th Century, and piracy continues today in many areas (especially around the Indonesian Islands).

"There was never a time when piracy was not practiced. Nor may it cease to be as long as the nature of mankind remains the same," Dio Cassius

Piracy deserves its place in Civ4, but as I was saying in my previous posts (and I feel you may have just misunderstood me) was that Privateers are not Pirates. Though I also feel that privateers deserve their place in Civ4.

Whose the other leader shown with Pericles?

Also I hope they rename "Native American" civ. I don't see the advantage of clumping them, why not call the tribes what they are?

Waffles:
In the article, the author says that new civs include Native American Tribes

That gives me hope that the Sioux and the Iriquios are both in, rather than the native Americans as a whole. It could mean the opposite, but he would have said "New civs include Native Americans, Netherlands," etc.

That could just be refering to the Native Americans and the Mayans. Or maybe each Native American city is named after a tribe.

Edited for spelling.

Oh, I didn't misunderstand you, and I agree, having barbarians and hidden nationality units on the sea is great. I was just making a dumb joke about the prevalence of pirates in pop-culture the last few years.

Oh, I didn't catch your sarcasm. Sorry for the tangent. I'm a little obsessed with the history of piracy and privateering, if you couldn't tell already.

That could just be refering to the Native Americans and the Mayans. Or maybe each Native Amreican city is named after a tribe.

That it actually an awesome idea. I wasn't really excited about the idea about a grouped "Native Americans" but each city being a tribe would be interesting.

Well i sure got proven wrong about the space race in that preview, the space pictures are indeed a scenario set in space, and it looks absolutely awesome. Take a look at all pictures to see what im talking about.

Ninjas, eh? Diplomatic marriages (a la Marie Antoinette)? I give kudos to Firaxis for certainly coming up with some pretty non-traditional civ ideas.

Yes, it's very 'Call to Power'-esque isn't it. ;)

Whose the other leader shown with Pericles?

Probably good ol' Hammy (Hammurabi). But from his looks I would say that he could be quite agressive and not the culture hugger he's always been. But most probably he will look agressive, but play as the old culture-whore he's ever been. ;)

I think your forgetting they've included the 10 UU's in the tally. Its not like you'll be using all those in one game so its not that much a shock to the civving sytem.
Also Remember PtW had 6 new 'UU' plus 6 new 'king' units but only a couple that could actually be built by anyone where added :)

Dont' worry the game will still come shipped with tons of new units! Its just very small % are actaully added to the epic game :(

PtW had a treasure trove of over 50! Some were awesome like the King Tiger!. Mods like Rise n Rule and Rhyes used these free units in a great abundance of cases
-Its funny MECHS are the themed bonus package for modders this time round but can you guess what it was Last Sequal? :D Just the opposite...
Spoiler :
PREHISTORIC!!

Probably good ol' Hammy (Hammurabi). But from his looks I would say that he could be quite agressive and not the culture hugger he's always been. But most probably he will look agressive, but play as the old culture-whore he's ever been. ;)

I'm almost certain the picture is Hammurabi. The building in the background looks to be the Hanging Gardens so, unless Babylon gets a second leader, which is very unlikely, then it can only be Hammurabi.

That said though, Hammurabi lived from around 1810 BC to 1750 BC. The Hanging Gardens were constructed during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II (assuming that they definetley did exist) around 600BC, over a thousand years after Hammys death. I'm guessing this is another case of Civ getting it's history a little bit wrong again.

Maybe it's Nebuchadnezzar II and not Hammurabi? I don't know much about him, but apparently he was famous for his conquests AND he built the Hanging Gardens, so maybe it is him and he is aggressive. :)

Maybe it's Nebuchadnezzar II and not Hammurabi? I don't know much about him, but apparently he was famous for his conquests AND he built the Hanging Gardens, so maybe it is him and he is aggressive. :)

Or maybe Babylon has two leaders? Hammy could have culture-loving traits, while Nebby could be Aggressive/Industrious? Just a thought.

EDIT: That image struck me more as Nebuchadnezzar than Hammurabi anyway

Top Bottom