Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CornMaster

Romulan Commander
Retired Moderator
Here is this weeks grudge at http://www.gamespy.com :

And here are a panel of experts ;)

Fargo: The latest versions of Half-Life have integrated in-game voice chat for teammates, and GameSpy itself has a product called Roger Wilco that allows you to set up an in-game voice chat system with all your friends for any game. Now that you've had a chance to get used to it, what do you think of game voice chatting? In order to demonstrate the power of this technology, I'm going to conduct this entire grudge using in-grudge audio. [Fargo puts on a headset and taps on a microphone.] Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?

shaithis: Fargo I'm sitting next to you.

Fargo: Hello? Hello? Hello? Testing? Testing? Can you hear this? Can you hear me? Testing can you hear me hello hello?

shaithis: Fargo I can hear you already. Can you hear me?

Fargo: Of course I can, why do you ask?

shaithis: The thing with in-game audio is, I mean, sure it's kinda cool when you have a few close friends together playing on the same team. But you can't just sorta randomly fire up an Internet game and hope to be able to communicate with these people.

Fargo: Check it out, you can hear me make armpit-farting noises: **Pffbhpbt! Pffbhbt! Pffbhpbt!** Hello hello is this thing on?

shaithis: .... exactly my point. What I'm saying is, it's a cool idea, but 99.9% of the time when I log into an Internet game, I'd rather not have to listen to the people I'm playing with. At least with typing, you keep the noise to a minimum and you can easily ignore the jerks.

[Long pause, no sound but for static.]

Fargo: Dude, you have to say "over" when you're done speaking.

shaithis: [Muffled by hands covering his face in anguish] ... "over."

Fargo: Ten-Four good buddy!! Allow me to retort. You and I are used to playing games on a LAN, where we're within screaming distance of one another. Hell, I pack up my computer and bring it to LAN parties all the time. Because playing games is fun, but playing games where you can yell smack at your opponents and coordinate with your teammates rules. Sure, you have to find cool people to play with, but isn't that true in anything? All it takes is some voice software, bandwidth, and a microphone. Now then, listen closely as I blast my Blink 182 album at full volume--

[A loud, discordant stuttering cacophony of music, screaming, and static ensues]

typing all the way :goodjob:
The good old time ;)

Voice can be useful in CWs but even that pretty seldom since you got your homemap and after a few CWs everyone know the tactics anyway :/

Top Bottom