1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamestar German preview Video - packed with info

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Stilgar08, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

I decided to make this an own thread because there were many information I didn't have before. Maybe it's the same for you. Some good news, some Bad, some nice late game footage. I hope this is not old news overall :
    http://www.gamestar.de/videos/civil...eo-das-bislang-beste-civilization,90599.html#

- City layout "puzzle" works great
    - golden age is gone :(
    -capacity of neighbourhoods depend on tile appeal, certain GP can raise appeal...
    - the game on prince level as it is in prebuild is too easy to master (and it's level 4 out of 8)
    - amenity system seems too easy to Master as well, at least on prince - almost no happiness problems at all! The guy says amenities will scale with difficulty (more amenities needed for same amount of happiness)
    - spies options look cool and have an impact, but no more CS turnovers possible
    - faith is powerful and not only in early game
    - AI in this prebuild IS pathetic, not able to defend itself and running around with old units in later eras.
    - AI as well not able to compete for CS in this build
    - competition for GPs seems to work good
    - Shipwrecks being archeological sites being confirmed
    - archeologists will vanish after all slots in the museum of their "hometown" are taken.
    - you can't have more archeologists than museums...
    - no parachute troops
    - beach resorts to raise tourism
    - he states game is packed with stuff and if AI will be competitive (enough) (maybe on higher levels) it will be a great game.

2. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I thought Paratroopers were in the game.

3. npburg

npburg Chieftain

This is good to know. Most of the youtubers couldn't figure this out.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Nope. Some people saw a balloon at Flight and thought it was a Paratrooper. It's the Observation Balloon.

5. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Hmm, 4 out of 8 difficulties? But it seems to say 3 for the difficulty level. I don't think this is the first article to say there will be 8 difficulty levels, though the build seems to contradict that.

6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

It could still be true: Settler could be level 0; which life long programmers get in the habit of counting from simply from dealing with computer code for arrays which always starts at 0.
    However, it's more likely that before release you'll see Prince relabeled as 4 so that Settler can be displayed to the user as level 1.

7. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

I can see as well Settler keeping level "zero". (meaning no difficulty at all, mainly sandbox tutorial play)

8. Acken

Acken Deity

Or just remove the settler difficulty.

9. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

Don't know if I'm too keen on how those resorts look.

10. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

I'm surprised GAs are gone. We already knew that?
    I don't have a problem with paratroopers not being in the game.
    Look at a resort from above - realistic look in the game! Congrats! :p

His observations concerning AI are sobering my expectations to some extent. He says there has to be done something about it otherwise the game is way too easy. This I didn't expect at all and I hope they worked on it in the Day's after this prebuild... :coffee:

11. criZp

criZp Emperor

Golden ages being gone is fine. Paratroopers actually don't need to be an own unit, it could be a special promotion, since they are identical to infantry except for the drop ability.

12. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

The AI part is worrying to say the least. It was already obvious in the LPs from the 2 month+ old event. And it's just the same in the current LP's.

I really hope there's a reason for this (development priorities, missing parts in the released build, etc.) because i cant have another CIVBE AI experience.

I'd love firaxis to come forward on the matter, especially as they said they've been running full AI games 24/7 in their office. So they should know about the fact it sucks.

13. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

From what I've seen in the streams, the players have happiness problems all the time, they just don't realize it. A content city is losing a lot of growth and non-food yields compared to an ecstatic city. The goal should be to have +3 amenities in all cities. Go below that and you are effectively taking a hit from too little amenities, the game just doesn't warn you about it until your cities are discontent.

14. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

I have different experiences. Watching Writing Bull and Piruparka they seldom have less than +3 amenities in their cities. Granted they are slow and thoughtful players. Not like some of the let's get things started-youtubers (many more of that category). Quill18 doesn't have problems with it either...

15. isau

isau Deity

In Civ IV you actually got a Happiness and Health hit as you went up in difficulty and I won't be surprised if it's the same in VI with Amenities/Housing.

16. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I'll have to watch those then. Marbozir never has any cities at +3. In his Rome game I think Quill mostly got them to +3 once the buildings with regional effects kicked in, but I didn't watch that series all the way from the start.

17. EvaDK

EvaDK Chieftain

Yeah, the AI part is the worrying part, although no one should expect 2K to have perfected this at this stage, when the game is right out the gate.

The more intertwined complexity they've added to the game mechanics, the more difficult it will be to program an AI that can perform as well as a human player.

18. rastak

rastak Emperor

Thanks as always Stilgar!

Yea, this sums up what I've observed for the most part. They've got plenty of tuning to do but it looks like a fantastic addition to the series assuming it gets sorted out.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  19. indradiva

indradiva Warlord

at the beginning they mention you can raze the districts, but don't say how. I always thought it is not possible, it is a big surprise for me!