GameTrailers Top 10 Breakthrough PC Games

The only graphically interesting game in that list is Starcraft...
and it has the most cult following

Any titles not in the list worthy of note? Someone mentioned Wing Commander, which i remeber being breakthrough in its graphics. They didn't mention unreal tournament. Also what about Leisure Suit Larry? That game was awesome. Building your bankroll at the blackjack table, stealing lottery numbers, seeing boobies. Hilarious.

I loved Wing Commander, more than Quake, Doom, and UO. However, I have to agree that it didn't have as much influence as Doom, Starcraft or Civ for example. Right now space flight sim games are hard to come by compared to FPS, strategy, and roleplay. I'd give Wing Commander an honorable mention however.

I also disagree with Wolfenstein not being on the list. Wolf 3D kicked off the entire FPS movement. Hell I only ever played three FPS in my life, and one was Wolfenstein. That's influence!

I don't think Quake belongs on the list. Quake stands at an evolution over Doom but it's not as much an evolution as doom was evolution over Wolfenstein. Doom and wolfenstein belong on the list, and you can argue which is more influential all you want. Then again I don't play much FPS but if the criteria is influence then I think Wolfenstein was more influential than Quake, since it broke major ground.

I used to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Counter-Strike. The FPS genre owes everything to Wolfenstein. Civilization has also spawned many games as well. The top 3 on the list should have been in my opinion 1. Wolfenstein 2. Civilization 3. Half-life(only because of Couter-Strike). This leaves out the World of Warcraft style of games, but never having played them I can't really say how breakthrough any games in that genre are.

Well if this is an list of "which is the best game here?", it's definitely AitD, though I don't have experience on Ultima Online. Seems many of you haven't played it.

AitD actually manages to be scary and humorous. And it's a very different experience from survival horror games. This is adventure game like, much less a shooter. There are maybe two firearms in the whole game with only handful of ammo, and you can miss them too if you dont pay attention. They aren't something the game drives you to, like a goal of a level you see in oh so many survival horrors. Same goes for any healing equipment.

The game world is only a mansion, and thanks to that the game isn't segmentet into different parts, but is one big continous exploration with the player having total freedom of choice.
It's a ruthless game, there are unfair ways to die - by just walking to the wrong spot or reading a book, but because that it keeps you on your toes, but the deaths are very unique too - you will see yourself killing the character on purpose - quite a different style from those where are send clone monsters against you in waves having to shoot them with a machine gun and if your HP's run out and you manage to die, you fall down as a bloody corpse *yawn*...

This game has remarkable amount of unique monsters and horrors, all which aren't even dangerous, it really gives them character. My memory says there is only two stock monsters which you will see more, but this isn't filled with monsters either. There is a nice contrast of running away and dealing with all the horros compared to peaceful exploration, puzzle solving and observa... OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT SLIDING THROUGH THE BOOKCASE?

The camera angles are just brilliant, and are used in a delightfully different ways. Personally I love all the leaning camp-feeling angles and zooming either in or out ones, like it would be watched through someones eyes.

But since this is a list of influencial titles, what did AiTD do to deserve it's place? Jacksh*t.
Even it might be the first in it's genre, and argueably last if you don't count its two sequels, it didn't certainly build any foundations. Resident Evil did that, and it shows in those console survival horror shooters, there isn't a squat of the helplessness feeling of not having an ability to fight back creatures and situations or the accomplishment feeling when you manage to outsmart them. Then there are those games which just use the cheap way of providing shock images and sounds, scary maybe, but not something you will remember for years.
AitD isn't necessarily that scary game throughout but it has an nice mysterious eerie feeling which is present strongly in Lovecraft's works.

I hope I got some of you to try this classic. :)

I also disagree with Wolfenstein not being on the list. Wolf 3D kicked off the entire FPS movement. Hell I only ever played three FPS in my life, and one was Wolfenstein. That's influence!

I don't think Quake belongs on the list. Quake stands at an evolution over Doom but it's not as much an evolution as doom was evolution over Wolfenstein. Doom and wolfenstein belong on the list, and you can argue which is more influential all you want. Then again I don't play much FPS but if the criteria is influence then I think Wolfenstein was more influential than Quake, since it broke major ground.

Wolfenstein 3D didn't had the same impact than Doom did. Doom gave birth to controversial game violence and the genre of countless clones. Between Wolfenstein 3D and Doom there wasn't much FPS life. Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the first FPS either, so its merit is being the father of Doom. Excellent game though, even a bit labyrintish like. Wolf 3D for Doom is like Dune 2 to C&C, which reminds me why C&C isn't there?

Quake introduced fast-paced deathmatch. Doom also has multiplayer, but Quake invented a competition sport of its kind. This was also the 3D shooter. It introduced three dimensional gibs! Sprites were going to be more or less history in FPS'es. This is the great-grandfather of all gaming tournaments and professionals there are. Also licensing engines and modding practically started with Quake.

Civilization has also spawned many games as well.

Outside of Civilization franchise... Call to Power? Freeciv? uhmm.. some free-/shareware titles? Oh and Alpha Centauri which was done by pretty much the same Civ persons.
edit. and few 4x space games, most of them don't have much resemblance to Civ gameplay at all.

Thank you for bringing this video to my attention. I could watch it over and over again, wallowing in memories.

While there might be some minor entries I don't agree with (where's duke & unreal?!), the top spots are just perfect.

It's quite interesting that of the top genre-defining 4 games, only civ and it's original inventors managed to (1) stay true to the roots, (2) evolve towards perfection with each installment, and (3) keep the top spot in terms of commercial success.
Congratulations :king:

This might be due to the fact that in a sense WoW grabbed the essence of the other 3 titles (Ultima Online, Wizardry and Doom) and combined them into the perfect drug...

Man that review made me feel my years, not just because I remember all those games but because I remember the original 2d Castle Wolfenstien game from my com 64...

Top history breakthrough games and no diablo or wow?

Those 2 games werent the first in his genres, but they sure made a BIG difference and in both cases the genre became popular thanks to them and other companies started launching copies like mad

If the video were about first games in each genre, then they would talk only about wolfenstein and not doom, quake AND half life like they do. But like the guy speaking says, doom made a difference over wolfenstein in how the masses played it. Well, wow and diablo, hello?

Wizardry number 2? Come on.

Agree about the rest more or less.

Top Bottom