1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Wildlife

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scotland_no1, Jun 1, 2003.

?

Garden Animals

1. Yes i try to bring 'em in

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No! the noises bug me!

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I dont have a garden

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. I used DDT so now everything is dead!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. scotland_no1

scotland_no1 Jimmy Hat Salesman

Do you try to attrackt wildlife to your garden? if so what kinds of animals do you get?

2. Pillager

Pillager League of Empire Loyalist

I don't try to, no.

We have greenfly on our roses :ack:, the neighbour's cat, and plenty of birds, not much else. But then living in the centre of London one wouldn't expect much.

3. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Not at all. I love wildlife...

My garden, in which I was spending my whole day today, is host to foxes, hedgehogs, squirrels, the odd badger, owls and all manner of flying creatures.

Last night while walking the dog, I happened upon a hedgehog on the road,
    I helped it into the undergrowth at my hedge, to prevent the hapless beast being ran over.

After my work was done I rested in the garden patio, with the dog snoring at my feet, drinking a coke and watching a light aircraft flying lazily overhead...

More or less a perfect situation...

4. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

Typing on your laptop Curt with a wireless network? Perfect.

We have a stunning amount of birdsong. Anything that dares venture on the ground into our garden however gets short shrift from the terriers who regard as unforgiveable invasion of their personal domain. If it moves, chase it. If it doesnt move, chew it.

5. CurtSibling

Almost, Col!

In my front room, overlooking the vast airfield expanse that is 'the garden'...:D
    I only came inside once it got a bit cloudy a while back...

Still millions of birds tweeting in the area, there's tons of trees in my street...

6. Pillager

Pillager League of Empire Loyalist

Are you in Glasgow Curt, or down here in London?

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

No, they eat our vegatables, that's why we have cats :evil:

8. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

There are so many rabbits in my neighborhood that they act like they own the place. Every year they eat about 30% of the vegetables in my garden though they avoid the Pasilla and Thai peppers like the plague. There are also squirrels, a wide variety of birds and the occasional skunk and fox. We also have an urban deer population but I have never seen one in my garden though I did see a very confused looking fawn in my front yard once, they tend to hang out in the forest preserves and residential neighborhoods along the Mississippi and stay out of the more congested areas.

9. Suppersalmon

Suppersalmon Think Safely think again

my Garden is near a woods so we get lots of foxes invadeing at night have alot of birds of a wide varity cats and my Dog :p

10. GotD?

GotD? Do you have D?

Usually sparrows are in my garden, but every morning I see a robin through my kitchen window.
    Sometimes Canada Geese come into my lawn and leave their wastes there.

11. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

The Canada Geese in Minneapolis could almost be classified as a street gang. They hang out in the parks in large numbers, are totally fearless, and sometimes attack passers-by. I'm not kidding.

12. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Oh god, Drew our High School football field is the favorite hangout, we get 40-50 at a time, our football teams uniforms are all stained from their wastes

13. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

Living in an apartment block in a concrete suburb, i don't have a garden... I'd like to move to a house with a garden, though. And i'd love to have animals running around in it, but no cockroaches or giant centipedes. :ack:

14. JonathanValjean

JonathanValjean Porschephile

I love animals, but I don't like it when rabbits and other animals get into the vegetable garden and help themselves. I mean, this isn't the "all-you-can-eat" salad special, here! For me, the beautiful birds who have nests in the backyard (close to the garden), my dog, and two kittens are enough.

15. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

Several varieties of finches, two families of bluebirds, lots of hummingbirds. Not too many rabbits anymore - one of our cats is quite the hunter! Some raccoons reside near a creek down the road from us.

16. SunTzu

SunTzu Hooah Retired Moderator

nah, i like wildlife, i get to enjoy it everyday, while i live in the city(small one of 30,000 souls) my house has a big backyard and my mom uses my slave labor to help with the garden(both front and back) so i get to enjoy the wildlife, except for snakes, i beat the hell out of 2 copperheads the other day with a shovel :lol:
    one was a big ass momma and her decent size child, i took them out with extreme prejudice.

17. CurtSibling

In the outskirts of Glasgow...:)

18. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

As I live in the centre of The Hague, I don't have garden, but I do have a nice terrace on the roof. It has a great view over several ministeries and company headquarters, but the only wildlife I see is irritating seagulls ****ting on my car :mad: .

19. Mark Young

Mark Young Formerly Sir Eric

My house backs on to a national park in Sydney. We get flying foxes flying low over the house most nights.
    Heaps of spiders and insects.
    Since it's been pissing down in the last couple of weeks we've had a plague of trapdoors,mouse spiders and the odd funnel web.
    mostly we get a lot of birds like Eastern rosellas, Crimson rosellas, Black tailed and Sulphur crested cockatoos, Kookaburras, wattlebirds etc.
    Ringtail and brushtail possums, sugar gliders etc.
    There is just so much wildlife it is amazing. And there are plenty of tracks to go MTB riding.

20. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Before my cat died, my garden was a pretty little green paradise, but was a death-hole for birds. Now, it is a green little paradise full of living and safe birds.