Gary's Model Shop

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
As Partizanac has wisely suggested I'm going to post all models I create to this thread instead of creating a new thread for each model. This way I can keep everything under one roof and keep people informed of any updates. Probably most of them will be towed artillery pieces of the 20th Century to start off with since they are a little easier for beginners like myself and also because there are still a LOT of artillery pieces of the First and Second World Wars which have not been done, while conversely the variety of ships, tanks and planes seems almost complete by comparison.

Also if anyone has requests for models please post them here. My skills are still limited but I'll do the best I can if the request looks "doable" for me. Right now I am doing most of the more complicated shapes in Google Sketchup and importing them into Bryce as OBJ files via Vue 6 Infinite. I owe Bjornlo bigtime for recommending this method to me. :)

MODEL UPDATES: First off there has been an update to the Type 96 15cm Japanese Howitzer. The new version has been uploaded and the old version taken down. Looking at pictures of the recoil mechanism on the Type 91 10cm howitzer I saw similarities to the Type 96 and the recoil I had for the 96 looked like it may have been configured a little incorrectly. This is now fixed. The color has also been changed to match the color of the Type 91, which I like better, although, since there are relatively few moving parts to the model it is easy enough to change it to whatever color you wish.

All future modeling projects will be dealt with here.

In the lineup for the near future is a "Schneider" m-907,75mm for Partizanac.

Also a quick run down of what is uploaded so far:

German 105mm le. FH 18 L / 28 Howitzer

DOWNLOAD FH 18 HERE

Japanese Type 96 15cm Howitzer

DOWNLOAD TYPE 96 HERE

Japanese Type 91 10.5cm Howitzer

DOWNLOAD TYPE 91 HERE

Thanks all. :)

EDIT: Of course everything can also be found here in the "Civ III 3D Models" section of the Downloads Database-as well as some great models and model accessories from other designers on the forum.

I know I'll be a frequent visitor here. :D

Just some inspiration for Japanese artillery tractors...

The one shown on this page pulled the Type 96 howitzer. Would be great for a Run flc...

Just some inspiration for Japanese artillery tractors...

The one shown on this page pulled the Type 96 howitzer. Would be great for a Run flc...

I'll give the artillery tractor a try. How do people normally do tracks so that they will rotate? Please tell me there is a way to do them other than one track at a time? :D

@aaglo: Thanks! According to my calculations 105mm comes out to just a shade over 4 inches. 1 inch = 25.4mm.

Tracks are done by rotating the texture of the track (the texture having all the lumps and bumps painted on to the flat surface model, rather than moving the actual track. Wym is the man to talk to about that, i've only had a quick run through about it, and that was quite a while ago :)

Tracks are done by rotating the texture of the track (the texture having all the lumps and bumps painted on to the flat surface model, rather than moving the actual track. Wym is the man to talk to about that, i've only had a quick run through about it, and that was quite a while ago :)

Yes, but it all depends on your texture.. Could take some work.. You may need to rotate the texture if its in a circle... or move the texture.. I don't know since I dont have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CAFOiUrHQk

Let me finish a couple things I'm doing right now and then I'll be open for other suggestions. :)

Things I'm working on right now:

In Progress: Japanese Artillery Tractor
Next in line up: Land Rover
On Hold: 128mm German Flak Cannon (towed single mount)

Here's the Japanese artillery tractor as requested by TopGun 69. :)

Download Here

This is the only picture I had to work off of so there are sure to be some discrepencies somewhere. I did embellish a little in various places to make the model a little more interesting, most notably on the back of the rear seat there are a few shapes added.

Spoiler :

Type 92 8t Prime Mover "Ni-Ku"
- Ko Model

Introduced Year : 1932
Weight : 8.0 ton
Dimensions: 4.3 x 2.0 x 2.58(h) m
Speed (max) : 16 km/hr
Engine : Gasoline Engine 130 PS/1600 rpm
Crew : 7
Drawn Artillery: 15cm Cannon
- Otsu Model

Introduced Year : 1936
Weight : 8.35 ton
Dimensions: 4.3 x 2.0 x 2.58(h) m
Speed (max) : 20 km/hr
Engine : Diesel Engine 120 PS/1400 rpm
Crew : 7
Drawn Artillery: 15cm Cannon
Production Qty (Total) : 1,657

Source: http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/Ni-Ku.htm

sweet... nice detail!

I hope no one is working on animating the German FH 18. Working on the Land Rover was driving me insane so I decided to do a unit for a change of pace. :crazyeye:

This is just a preview. Fortify and attack have been done. I still have to do the rest of the animations.

It doesn't look like the barrel is recoiling.. More recoil on barrel, less on the whole piece.

Then add a little forward motion to the blast as well.. the gasses are explosively moved forward afterall.

Top Bottom