[GS] Gathering a financial storm?

What is your impression about the price tag for Gathering Storm? (40 US$)

• Too much

• About right...

• Take my money!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Will only be worth it if they fully playtest it before release, not just run AI games and look at the logs. I don't want to have a game that has a game mechanic or coding bug that makes the game unplayable multiplayer.I only play multiplayer, and they have regularly released games/DLC that break multiplayer.

I am in between too much and about right. I will have to see more gameplay to make up my mind if its worth the price tag or not. With that said, i generally never buy stuff at full price anymore. I either wait for a sale, or see if one of the few websites i buy games from has it as a cheaper price. Personally with todays games, i feel that the quality hasn't gone up generally, but the price has. While i love Civ 6, there are still a lot of glaring issues that have no business being in the game years after release. I hope most or all of them are being looked at in this patch/expansion.

Already preordered it, as greenmangaming has it on sale for $32 for VIP members. The price jump does seem warranted to me though.

I think it's a good price, though I was a bit surprised by it initially, particularly that it's not the same as Rise and Fall. It's definitely worth it. This price in my opinion is also set to factor in future sales and deals.

I expect the base game, DLC and Rise and Fall will get bundled or go on frequent enough sales that they'll be around $20-30 regularly, and then another $30-40 for Gathering Storm makes sense.

Like @Brownie Master said, there will be places that have it on pre-order for close to $30. I can understand the hesitation though of people who want to see AI improvements. Personally I don't factor that in any more, I play Civ 6 mostly to build a story, and I think this expansion is going to expand on that more.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind paying 45$ for it.
Hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment.
Pre-ordered already!

I think $40 for an expansion is pricey, but considering what looks like a lot of features, and considering the huge amount of gameplay that you can get from a 4X game I've got over 300 hours in Civ VI, which I haven't played that much compared to previous Civ games), it's not that outrageous.

At this point I'd be okay just paying firaxis an annual subscription top keep the content coming :crazyeye:
Don't give them any FREAKING IDEAS!

Really?!?!

Here is the list of new stuff and changes AFAIK:
- 7 natural disasters
- climate change mechanic
- canals
- railroads
- dynamic tile yields
- grievances
- diplomatic favor
- world congress
- world games
- Hall of fame
- power and consumable resources
- new tech and civics future era ( 9 new techs and 10 new civics)
- 9 new leaders
- 8 new civs
- 9 new unique units
- 4 new unique buildings
- 3 new unique improvements
- 2 new unique districts
- 1 new unique governor
- 7 new wonders
- 7 new natural wonders
- 18 new units
-15 new tile improvements
- 9 new buildings
- 5 new districts
- 2 new city sets
- landmarks have names
- new map generation based on tectonics
- new build queue
- enhanced espionage system with new options
- Updated Culture and Science victories.
- New diplomatic victory
- New historic moments
- rebalanced governor abilities
- rebalanced civ abilities
- 2 new scenarios

Seems like the equivalent of a full game to me and definitely worth $40.

I initially saw the price and thought wow thats expensive but seeing this list its totally worth it. It will add another 100hrs of gameplay at least and these days i get half that from 55quid AAA games....alah red dead 2 and poor strategy games alah Jurassic World Evolution.

In any event, even if the AI hasn't received any more work, the AI at higher levels might really benefit from the new disaster mechanic - both you and the AI can get wrecked by natural disasters, but the AI might well bounce back faster with its bonuses.
I'm concerned that the AI won't prepare itself well for natural disasters. In the 2k press release Ed even talked about how he was attacking a city that flooded when his units were already there, making it easier for him to take it.

Then there's the World Congress. Will the AI actually use it, or will they just do what they did in Civ V and ban luxuries for no apparent reason?

I mean I spent more than that on beer yesterday evening, which I got far fewer hours of enjoyment out of (and a few hours of dullness this morning).
Haha this is usually how i think about value for money. Eating out or drinking out for one evening is normally the price of a game or even more! Compare the hours and hangovers the games work out better value.

So yes good value for money and basically gives us another 2 years of playtime hence the near new game price. Otherwise theyd have to release a whole new game every year or two just like EA and Activision do...

I don't mind this price if the game is good. But if they don't do something about AI being decent at war, I'll stay away from this expansion too.

I did the math once on evaluating the cost to play ratio for all games I bought in two years time (around when BNW came out). Firaxis and Bethesda games were orders of magnitude lower, despite having spent more on getting all expansions, and having bought Civ V twice so my spouse and I could play team games. I’ll always buy expansions from Firaxis because they keep me playing for another few hundred hours, not maybe another dozen hours.

I voted "Too much", but now regret it after reading more about the expansion, and thinking about it all some more. Honestly, while I would have liked to see a lower price, I think the asking price is not that bad. I am certainly willing to pay it when the time comes, and given how many hours I get out of Civilization games compared to almost everything else, it will end up being very good value for money.

I also just appreciate the business model more: fewer, larger expansions rather than bits and pieces of content which end up costing more, while doing less for the overall experience.

It seems Gathering Storm will have a lot of new stuff, and I think it will be worth the price.

It's slightly overpriced, agreed. Very likely I'm gonna buy it anyway although I'll wait a bit and watch some more... Furthermore there will always be a promotion somewhere: 20% brings you down to 32 bucks... That sound about right to me...

It's not that bad, but I'm biased because of regional pricing I paid a lot less in dollars.

I think its too much to add on to an existing game. Its the price of a full game in of itself; but that's not what we've got with it.
Yes - there is good new content (hopefully good anyway!) but its not as simple as made out - a lot is made "new districts" etc - but many of these are unique districts that come along with the unique new governor for a new civ. So its 40 bucks for disasters, new wonders, diplomatic victory and world congress, 9 new civs and 2 new districts (I think there are too many districts anyway - they make the map look all clunky and unrealistic and out of scale). Maybe you think it's a good deal. Personally, I think it's a tad high....ten dollars too much I think.

40$ is a bit much, but yea... I'd pay 60$ if only the game had an acceptable AI. I'm not asking for skynet, just something better than the current AI. The game is simply too monotonous with this AI. So, for me personally, it has very little to do with the amount on money. I already paid ~118$, so another 40$ isn't the problem - the problem is just the basic game (AI etc.). Some of the agendas are actively making the AI worse too...

Top Bottom