[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

I can totally see the Cothon as functioning as a Commercial Hub / Harbor hybrid.

I think so too, it could be that the cothon could end up generating both great admiral and great merchant points, as well as more gold. It seems fitting to me to make Phoenicia rely on settling near the coasts and being a trade based civ. I like the suggestion made earlier too about them being only able to buy units.

Ah yes, it says "adjacent Cothon tile" not "adjacent Cothon". I didn't really expect it to be a building, but this makes it even less likely, as this would be sloppy wording if referring to a Unique Building that could be built in the Phoenician city centre, for example.
I sware there is an instance of "Adjacent to building [in district]" presently in the game but I cant remember what it is... I can't rember if it was just the colossal heads achivement or an actual mechanic.

I can totally see the Cothon as functioning as a Commercial Hub / Harbor hybrid.

The Cothon of Carthage was build inland like a Canal, if you will... I think it's a Harbour that can be built like or functions as a Canal, somehow.

The Cothon of Carthage was build inland like a Canal, if you will... I think it's a Harbour that can be built like or functions as a Canal, somehow.
I think it will be just that! A harbour you need to build on a land tile adjacent to the coast which can act as a canal. Maybe they will also include a fortification/walls bonus symbolising the chains they used too. (No district range attack though)

I think Cothon will end up as a unique Canal replacement, available earlier and generating extra gold. There seems to be a rule with civ 6 to not include two unique replacements for one district.

A Cothon could be a harbor that you can build on flat land adjacent to coast as well as on coastal tiles. And I can imagine it having walls and a health bar...

Oh I don't think the Cothon replaces the Canal district. I think it's a Harbour District that can be built on land, so long as it's adjacent to the city centre and coast, and can merely be used *as a canal district* in terms of unit movement.

I think Cothon will end up as a unique Canal replacement, available earlier and generating extra gold. There seems to be a rule with civ 6 to not include two unique replacements for one district.
Well we thought that you couldn't have two unique buildings of the same building; but then the Khmer came along with their Temple replacement along side Norway's Stave Church.

I mean I can see their point but yeah a Cothon as a canal would be just weird.

Wow... I've never seen *that* picture before. That looks AMAZING! I never knew they got that big!

But yeah it's why I resist the Canal replacement idea. It would just be far more appropriate to be a Harbor that generates gold. I'm basically a fan of making Phoenicia into this really trade-focused civ that generates a LOT of gold, with the drawback being the inability to train your own land combat units. That way you'd rely on purchasing them much like Mercenaries.

It would also indirectly incentivize building cities on the coast beyond any Unique Abilities.

UA could be something like doubled distance to sea trade troutes with additional gold based on the difference in resources between the cities. +1 culture to sea resources.

I mean I can see their point but yeah a Cothon as a canal would be just weird.

That vaguely resembles an ancient era dock in game however.:think:

I sware there is an instance of "Adjacent to building [in district]" presently in the game but I cant remember what it is... I can't rember if it was just the colossal heads achivement or an actual mechanic.

Colosseum Wonder can only be built adjacent to an Entertainment District with an Arena. That may be what you were thinking of?

The cothon was not a canal, it was a walled harbor. There is very little in common between a canal and a harbor. Harbors are for docking ships and protecting them from ocean weather; canals are for transporting ships between bodies of water. Harbors must be wide because ships must maneuver in them; canals can be very narrow to the point of being only a few feet wider than the largest ship that uses them. Just because a harbor looks so large that it appears to go a bit inland does not make it a canal.

Maybe part of the problem is that Firaxis is using the canal graphic for port cities. This is both visually jarring (especially in the early ages) and incorrect; port cities did not usually have canal-like structures leading inland, especially when they did not also have a harbor. It looks like some kind of giant ship driveway, which is not how real ports operate.

It's curious that in this game you're required to build an Aerodrome in a city to build aircraft, but there's no requirement for a Harbor to build ships. It's true that the earliest boats could be built on the naked shore, but it's also true that the earliest aircraft could take off from any grassy field. And currently you can base aircraft in any city, but inexplicably you cannot build them there.

I just figured out what's bothering me about canal graphics and why they stick out so much: it's because they're the only map structure that is built to unit scale, rather than the map scale. So while it's cool that we'll get to see ships moving through the canals, the canals are totally out of scale with everything else on the map. This is inevitable for the canals themselves, but deciding to put the canal graphics in every freaking port city is, in my opinion, a huge mistake.

Last edited:
Maybe part of the problem is that Firaxis is using the canal graphic for port cities. This is both visually jarring (especially in the early ages) and incorrect; port cities did not usually have canal-like structures leading inland, especially when they did not also have a harbor. It looks like some kind of giant ship driveway, which is not how real ports operate.

It's my only issue with this expansion. And possibly Eleanor leading either one of two civs.

I've been thinking more about Canada and what their abilities could be...
  • Laurier has done many great things including trying to strengthen the ties between French and English speaking Canada, proposing bills to assist their allies (Their overlords of the UK in the case of the Naval Bill). Perhaps his bonus should be your cities exert loyalty pressure on your other cities twice as far away. Your votes in the World Congress count as double if the proposal was made by an ally. Your ally's votes in the world congress count as double on proposals you made.
  • Canada's Unique Ability might resemble something to represent it's fame for being the second largest nation in the world; perhaps Canada's cities can work up to four tiles away but they cannot settle a Canadian city within 4 tiles of another Canadian city. If a tile with a forest is claimed by Canadian borders, it culture bombs tiles adjacent to that forest. Canada cannot declare a Surprise War or Formal War.
  • I would like for Canada's unique infrastructure to be the Sugarbush/Sugarwood/Sugar-Shack/Sugar-Shanty tile improvement which will provide a housing and then Food and Gold for each adjacent forest tile.
  • The Mountie is likely to be Canada's unique unit; a cavalry replacement providing +1 loyalty to the city it's in (both friendly and enemy) representing the RCMP. (alternatively; if they wanted to represent Canada's air force history, the Arvo Arrow).

This set up would allow Canada to have very large but distant cities that quickly claim adjacent forest tiles in a chained culture bomb from either settling a city or boarder expansion allowing them to have lots of production from lumber mills but also lots of food and gold from their unique tile improvement between forests. They will seem very diplomatic as they can only declare war through Casus Beli and Joint Wars whilst also getting additional powers at the world congress. Their unique unit will be able to strengthen the loyalty of their far flung cities and can help return rebellious free cities to them using the presence of the Mountie.

What do you guys think?

Top Bottom