[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

I must be doing something wrong. I play on Standard Speed - Small map - Fractal and I end up in a Dark Age roughly half the time on Deity for Ancient/Classical.

Really depends on how much of a late bloomer my civ is. I don't go out of my way for era score though.

Barbarian camp farming yields most of those early era points. So on smaller maps there is less space for barbs to spawn, so fewer camps to crush for era points.

Barbarian camp farming yields most of those early era points. So on smaller maps there is less space for barbs to spawn, so fewer camps to crush for era points.

Exactly. Playing on Large Maps, and being an aggressive 'Scouter' I wind up stacking up GA Points from Barb Camps, Goodie Huts, etc. I doubt that I would manage a fraction of the points on a smaller map or if I played, say, an Island map where I couldn't even access most of the map until the Classical Era or later...

Which, to my mind, makes the entire Golden/Dark Age system 'map dependent' and therefore not adequately Game Balanced.

Also. Sarah posted a video of herself recording in a sound booth today and commenting that her shirt was appropriate for it.

It is a "What Does the Fox Say?" shirt. When I commented on it, she responded with a fox sticking its tongue out.

Now, I checked and the band Ylvis which sings it comes from Norway not Sweden. So does that song or just foxes relate to any other civs? Because, if they are recording it now, it probably won't be the civ for next week.

Now, I checked and the band Ylvis which sings it comes from Norway not Sweden. So does that song or just foxes relate to any other civs? Because, if they are recording it now, it probably won't be the civ for next week.
Fox hunting was popular in England. Or fennec foxes are found in North Africa where Mali is located and the Phoenicians settled. Or maybe she mistake Sweden for Norway?
Who knows it could just mean Ottomans are confirmed! :crazyeye:

Also. Sarah posted a video of herself recording in a sound booth today and commenting that her shirt was appropriate for it.

It is a "What Does the Fox Say?" shirt. When I commented on it, she responded with a fox sticking its tongue out.

I'm afraid the fox as an animal motif is second only to bears or cats - they're everywhere.

In addition to the song her shirt promoted, there's Elton John's The Fox, Steeleye Span's the Fox (and Album), there's a Czech opera called 'the Sly Little Vixen' (don't ask me to spell it in Czech!)

In folklore, the Fox is almost always a 'trickster' and shows up in tales from Finland, Scotland, France, Germany, Greece, and China (where in one story he's actually a shape-changer) - indicating maybe that the whole thing is a trick to make us all crazy?

I don't know enough about Ottoman or Malian leaders - were any of them nicknamed 'The Fox'? The epithet was applied to several rulers and diplomats in Europe...

Maybe the list was wrong after all and we're getting the Fox/Meskwaki people as a surprise new civ. :crazyeye:

More seriously, maybe it's related to whoever the unique governor is?

I'm afraid the fox as an animal motif is second only to bears or cats - they're everywhere.

In addition to the song her shirt promoted, there's Elton John's The Fox, Steeleye Span's the Fox (and Album), there's a Czech opera called 'the Sly Little Vixen' (don't ask me to spell it in Czech!)

In folklore, the Fox is almost always a 'trickster' and shows up in tales from Finland, Scotland, France, Germany, Greece, and China (where in one story he's actually a shape-changer) - indicating maybe that the whole thing is a trick to make us all crazy?

I don't know enough about Ottoman or Malian leaders - were any of them nicknamed 'The Fox'? The epithet was applied to several rulers and diplomats in Europe...
The fox is also a shape-shifter in Japanese folklore...
Mhrm...could we consider Eleanor a "shape-shifter"? :p

The fox is also a shape-shifter in Japanese folklore...
I was going to point out that he forgot what is probably one of the more famous fox trickster, Kitsune. :p (Probably second only to Reynard...)

Mhrm...could we consider Eleanor a "shape-shifter"? :p
That's actually an excellent theory.

The only thing that really surprises me is that they are still producing videos. Or maybe it's an edit. I would've thought they had all those done prior to the initial announcement.

While I suppose they could have it edited together before Tuesday, I doubt this is the next one.

On the topic of foxes:

The United States could get a revised film studio (after all, Disney purchased 21st Century Fox). The sale includes the regional Fox Sports channels, but not the OTA channel called FOX (and definitely not the FOX affiliates) nor Fox News Channel.

Terry Fox could be added as a Great Person as well (science boost with longer roads and generates a large number of points for all ongoing and future World Games). After all, many countries have a Terry Fox run, not just Canada where Terry Fox ran half of the country with a prosthetic leg before dying.

Zorro could perhaps be added as a Great Work of Writing. After all, zorro is Spanish for "fox." However, Zorro is copyrighted in most countries (including the United States, Canada (thanks to the USMCA as Zorro re-entered copyright in Canada), and the EU).

Last edited:
there's a Czech opera called 'the Sly Little Vixen' (don't ask me to spell it in Czech!)
I'll do that for you. It's Příhody lišky Bystroušky, and the opera was written/composed by Leoš Janáček :)

Maybe it's Sigismund of Luxembourg, King of Bohemia, Hungary, Holy Roman Emperor, etc. He is called "the Ginger Fox" (Liška ryšavá) by the Czechs :p

I wonder what will happen if the seas rise and flood the city center of a capital city. Will we need a navy?
City Centres and World Wonders are unaffected by the rising sea levels; however as shown in the Hungary part of the Maori stream; if the sea levels rise so a city touches a newly flooded tile, you can now attack and take that city with melee naval units.

Fox...hmm.....

Rupert Murdoch as an alt leader for Australia!

Speaking of Australia....I'll be glad if this expansion does in fact stop the mad rampage against city-states. I was playing in a game with Australia as a neighbor. Got so incensed seeing him run around conquering CS's in disregard of his own agenda.

The AI has such a hate for civ's that they'll go way out of their territory to grab'em, way out of their own loyalty range.

Top Bottom