[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Something Ed Beach said in the Hungary livestream (in that sort of ingenuous "golly gee whiz, we just kinda noticed that was happening one night and being dedicated to improving the AI, we popped right in and sorted it out" way), it was mentioned that the behavior would be reined in, and compared it to how the mad pursuit of religion was reined so that only about 2/3 actively pursue a GP.

Of course, I still can't get a religion most of the time, so we'll if this curtailments amounts to having more than a few CS's left by the medieval era. Could just be that the net effect is still CS's getting crushed left and right, but merely in a way that concentrates them into the hands of aggressor civ's.

I don't want to just see less CS aggro, but rather also more civ's actively taking an active hand in liberating them. In this same game, Crichton's agenda did not proc against his fellow maniac neighbors. In fact, everybody was getting along fine, all crammed together like bugs in a bell jar but green happy faces everywhere nonetheless. It was weird. Holiday cheer, I s'pose.

This is something that really needs addressing. Curtin isn't the only offender.
That is being address through a new "City State opinion flavour".

So just like the new "Religion flavour" which some Civs will actively try and get a religion, some Civs will avoid trying to get a religion and some Civs are indifferent, now some Civs will actively attack city states (like Germany), some Civs will abstain attacking city states (Hungary, Pericles' Greece, America, Australia, Canada*) and other Civs are indifferent and will only attack if they actually see any benefit from conquering them.

This may have been asked at some point but I don't really feel like going through 130 pages so sorry if I'm repeating a question here. :p

Does global warming effect tundra or snow tiles? If so it could be a good thing for most civs but for Russia or Canada it could negatively impact them.

Does global warming effect tundra or snow tiles? If so it could be a good thing for most civs but for Russia or Canada it could negatively impact them.
Nothing has been said or shown to suggest that's the case.

This may have been asked at some point but I don't really feel like going through 130 pages so sorry if I'm repeating a question here. :p

There's nothing indicating either tundra tiles turning to marsh or the related plains to desert/grassland to plains sort of desertification.

So with the trading/trader bonus Mali has, where does this put Phoenicia. I think earlier speculation that they will gain bonus to routes over water is even stronger now. Like I mentioned before, it is something new to this expansion, and this civ seems the best to use it (it's not like we have Portugal). What else could they get. Mali gets free traders, and bonus to trade route gold as it is.

And then what about the Ottomans? I actually think they may go for a warmongering focus with them this time around since we already have so many trade route orientated civs (including the Inca, and Phoenicia that makes 3).

So with the trading/trader bonus Mali has, where does this put Phoenicia. I think earlier speculation that they will gain bonus to routes over water is even stronger now. Like I mentioned before, it is something new to this expansion, and this civ seems the best to use it (it's not like we have Portugal). What else could they get. Mali gets free traders, and bonus to trade route gold as it is.

And then what about the Ottomans? I actually think they may go for a warmongering focus with them this time around since we already have so many trade route orientated civs (including the Inca, and Phoenicia that makes 3).

Seafaring plus trade route bonuses makes sense for Phoenicia, but they could also do something with 'colonizing' (i.e. loyalty for dispersed empires), or early 'science' (writing, currency, etc.). Differentiating from Mali, I doubt they'll have a strong faith focus (or food bonuses like the Inca/Mali). They may get some sort of coastal bonuses.

I agree this points to a warmongering focus for the Ottomans (especially as Hungary is the only other dom focused one so far). Hopefully they'll have something more than that though, and not a repeat of Civ 5's "most boring civ in the game" implementation.

Seafaring plus trade route bonuses makes sense for Phoenicia, but they could also do something with 'colonizing' (i.e. loyalty for dispersed empires), or early 'science' (writing, currency, etc.). Differentiating from Mali, I doubt they'll have a strong faith focus (or food bonuses like the Inca/Mali). They may get some sort of coastal bonuses.

I agree this points to a warmongering focus for the Ottomans (especially as Hungary is the only other dom focused one so far). Hopefully they'll have something more than that though, and not a repeat of Civ 5's "most boring civ in the game" implementation.

They have given us a Mobile Start mechanism for the Maori, which I think should be Moddable into other Civs (Nomad on Land Start for Scythia and Mongolia, for starters) so I would hope that Phoenicia will give us another 'variation' on the basic Civ Model by giving us a City State mechanism. Perhaps a big boost to colonization/spitting out Settlers, but the cities they start, for example, might each have a separate set of Specialty advantages: one for Religion, one for Military, one for Trade/Commercial, one for Science, etc. There is an Iroquois Mod Civ for Civ VI that has some good ideas for this...

There might even be a 'variable loyalty' mechanism where some of the new cities might or might not be completely controllable by the player - provide a trade partner/Gold and cultural/religious points/influence, but not build or provide Units, for instance.

GS appears to be enlarging the Options we get in the way Civs will start, play and work, and I hope Phoenicia, Sweden and Ottomans continue that trend.

GS appears to be enlarging the Options we get in the way Civs will start, play and work, and I hope Phoenicia, Sweden and Ottomans continue that trend.
The Ottomans have a long history of being boring in Civ, which is unconscionable with their long and varied history IRL. Here's hoping we finally get a better Ottoman civilization...

The Ottomans have a long history of being boring in Civ, which is unconscionable with their long and varied history IRL. Here's hoping we finally get a better Ottoman civilization...

Dear Attaturk, yes!

Just in the military sphere, and without even using UUs (Sipahis, Janisseries, Great Bombards), they could go for Massive Armies (lower maintenance costs/unit), a naval bonus (the 'other' Red Beard), a pillaging bonus, a bonus to raising military units from fighting other religions (they could call it the 'janissary bonus' in fact).
Their cities could get an 'automatic' amenity bonus if they have Water Access (the 'Hammam Bonus')
Their land trade routes could get a distance or effect bonus (they did start out as pastoral mercenaries with control over a wide swath of the Eurasian steppe, after all).

And on, and on.

Here's hoping.

So here's the current summary of the announced features, which ones we know, and which ones are outstanding:

TLDR; we are still missing:
  • 2 world wonders
  • 2 natural wonders
  • 7 units (3 unique, 4 common)
  • 1, maybe 2 common improvements
  • 2 unique buildings
  • 1 common district
  • 1 unique governor
  • 6 techs
  • 6 civics
  • And of course, 3 civs and 4 leaders
Spoiler Lists 'n Stuff :
World Wonders (7)
  1. Golden Gate Bridge
  2. Panama Canal
  3. Great Bath
  4. Macché Picchu
  5. Orszaghaz
  6. ?
  7. ?
Natural Wonders (7)
  1. Mt. Vesuvius
  2. Sahara El Beydar
  3. Pamukkale
  4. Ik-Kil
  5. Chocolate Hills (suspected)
  6. ?
  7. ?
Units (18, 9 unique)
  1. UU - Black Army (Hungary)
  2. UU - Huszar (Hungary)
  3. UU - Toa (Maori)
  4. UU - Mountie (Canada)
  5. UU - Warak’aq (Inca)
  6. UU - Mandelaku Cavalry (Mali)
  7. UU - ? (Sweden)
  8. UU - ? (Phoenicia)
  9. UU - ? (Ottomans)
  10. U - Courser
  11. U - Cuirassier
  12. U - Giant Death Robot
  13. U - Rock Band
  14. U - Skirmisher
  15. U - ?
  16. U - ?
  17. U - ?
  18. U - ?
Improvements (15/16?, 4 unique...Qhapag Nan was not initially included in the unique count per Eddie B)
  1. UI - Pa (Maori)
  2. UI - Ice Hockey Rink (Canada)
  3. UI - Terrace Farm (Inca)
  4. UI - Qhapag Nan (Inca)
  5. CS - Nazca Line
  6. CS - Moai
  7. I - Mountain Tunnel
  8. I - Railroad
  9. I - Solar Farm
  10. I - Wind Farm
  11. I - Offshore Wind Farm (suspected)
  12. I - Geothermal Plant
  13. I - Seated
  14. I - Ski Resort (suspected)
  15. ?
  16. ??
Buildings (9, 4 unique)
  1. UB - Thermal Bath (Hungary)
  2. UB - Marae (Maori)
  3. UB - ?
  4. UB - ?
  5. B - Flood Barrier
  6. B - Hydroelectric Power Plant
  7. B - Coal Power Plant
  8. B - Oil Power Plant
  9. B - Nuclear Power Plant
Districts (5, 2 unique)
  1. UD - Cothon (Phoenicia)
  2. UD - Suguba (Mali)
  3. D - Canal
  4. D - Dam
  5. D - ?
Governors (1 unique)
  1. UG - ?
Techs (9)
  1. Buttress
  2. Global Warming Mitigation
  3. Cybernetics
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
Civics (10)
  1. Cultural Hegemony
  2. Environmentalism
  3. Optimization Imperative
  4. Distributed Sovereignty
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?

I guess the unique governor is going to replace the unique infrastructure for one civ...

So here's the current summary of the announced features, which ones we know, and which ones are outstanding:

TLDR; we are still missing:
  • 2 world wonders
  • 2 natural wonders
  • 7 units (3 unique, 4 common)
  • 1, maybe 2 common improvements
  • 2 unique buildings
  • 1 common district
  • 1 unique governor
  • 6 techs
  • 6 civics
  • And of course, 3 civs and 4 leaders
Spoiler Lists 'n Stuff :
World Wonders (7)
  1. Golden Gate Bridge
  2. Panama Canal
  3. Great Bath
  4. Macché Picchu
  5. Orszaghaz
  6. ?
  7. ?
Natural Wonders (7)
  1. Mt. Vesuvius
  2. Sahara El Beydar
  3. Pamukkale
  4. Ik-Kil
  5. Chocolate Hills (suspected)
  6. ?
  7. ?
Units (18, 9 unique)
  1. UU - Black Army (Hungary)
  2. UU - Huszar (Hungary)
  3. UU - Toa (Maori)
  4. UU - Mountie (Canada)
  5. UU - Warak’aq (Inca)
  6. UU - Mandelaku Cavalry (Mali)
  7. UU - ? (Sweden)
  8. UU - ? (Phoenicia)
  9. UU - ? (Ottomans)
  10. U - Courser
  11. U - Cuirassier
  12. U - Giant Death Robot
  13. U - Rock Band
  14. U - Skirmisher
  15. U - ?
  16. U - ?
  17. U - ?
  18. U - ?
Improvements (15/16?, 4 unique...Qhapag Nan was not initially included in the unique count per Eddie B)
  1. UI - Pa (Maori)
  2. UI - Ice Hockey Rink (Canada)
  3. UI - Terrace Farm (Inca)
  4. UI - Qhapag Nan (Inca)
  5. CS - Nazca Line
  6. CS - Moai
  7. I - Mountain Tunnel
  8. I - Railroad
  9. I - Solar Farm
  10. I - Wind Farm
  11. I - Offshore Wind Farm (suspected)
  12. I - Geothermal Plant
  13. I - Seated
  14. I - Ski Resort (suspected)
  15. ?
  16. ??
Buildings (9, 4 unique)
  1. UB - Thermal Bath (Hungary)
  2. UB - Marae (Maori)
  3. UB - ?
  4. UB - ?
  5. B - Flood Barrier
  6. B - Hydroelectric Power Plant
  7. B - Coal Power Plant
  8. B - Oil Power Plant
  9. B - Nuclear Power Plant
Districts (5, 2 unique)
  1. UD - Cothon (Phoenicia)
  2. UD - Suguba (Mali)
  3. D - Canal
  4. D - Dam
  5. D - ?
Governors (1 unique)
  1. UG - ?
Techs (9)
  1. Buttress
  2. Global Warming Mitigation
  3. Cybernetics
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
Civics (10)
  1. Cultural Hegemony
  2. Environmentalism
  3. Optimization Imperative
  4. Distributed Sovereignty
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?

I guess the unique governor is going to replace the unique infrastructure for one civ...

We did observe a new wonder today, which is likely the University of Sankore. And we know the last one is some kind of temple at Civil Service.

So the bazaar could still be a market replacement for the Ottomans right? :mischief:

So the bazaar could still be a market replacement for the Ottomans right? :mischief:

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that Mali got a Commercial Hub replacement, but I had already taken it as a given that the Ottomans would get it with the Bazaar. I guess there's no reason it couldn't be a Market instead. What other unique building could they get, now that we know it's a building?

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that Mali got a Commercial Hub replacement, but I had already taken it as a given that the Ottomans would get it with the Bazaar. I guess there's no reason it couldn't be a Market instead. What other unique building could they get, now that we know it's a building?

The Hammam, or 'Turkish Bath', could be a possible City Center building, or a replacement for the Arena providing extra Amenity and some other benefit...

Top Bottom