[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

I think Bandar Brunei got in because Brunei was thought of as a possible civ addition, but dismissed. I think it‘s better than adding Singapore btw. Singapore has a relatively short history, while other historical city states have hundreds or thousands of years. It‘s great to have Bologna now as at least one of the Italian CS and to have Phoenicia which will probably have some of the most famous CS on its list. But honestly, there are so many more interesting CS than Singapore imho - as diverse as Malta, Palembang, Tangiers (very shortly „independent“), Bagan, the Pentapolis, or Ayutthaya.

I think Bandar Brunei got in because Brunei was thought of as a possible civ addition, but dismissed. I think it‘s better than adding Singapore btw. Singapore has a relatively short history, while other historical city states have hundreds or thousands of years. It‘s great to have Bologna now as at least one of the Italian CS and to have Phoenicia which will probably have some of the most famous CS on its list. But honestly, there are so many more interesting CS than Singapore imho - as diverse as Malta, Palembang, Tangiers (very shortly „independent“), Bagan, the Pentapolis, or Ayutthaya.

I think Bologna was added because they intend to include an Italian civ. Patches of Northern Italy were never part of the Italic League.

That said, I'm still surprised it was Bologna over Genoa, which rivalled Venice in influence. Or even Sicily. Meh.

Sort of changing gears, but I think one of the subtly great changes is the strategic resource accumulation. The game doesn't work if the AI doesn't want to trade you strategic resources.

Sort of changing gears, but I think one of the subtly great changes is the strategic resource accumulation. The game doesn't work if the AI doesn't want to trade you strategic resources.

And now I can happily start trading my resources since I know it doesn't guarantee my total annhiliation if I do.

This is another of the new Mechanisms that, it seems to me, could be broadened to include other resources: why not be able to stockpile or to require more Amenity Resources, to aid certain cities to grow or combat Unhappiness? How about some Bonus Resources being stockpiled as Food or Production amounts to 'boost' a new city?

Right now in Civ VI we have a peculiar situation in which a Builder can instantly build an Improvement, but Units, Districts, Wonders, and everything else requires the same old system of building turn by turn using whatever (artificial) Production Points the city has per turn. This results in such ludicrusities as a Slinger taking 200 years to 'build' in the Ancient Era. Instead, why not 'stockpile' Production Points from Bonus resources like Stone or Deer to 'rush build' a unit?
By tying this to only Bonus Resource Production it both keeps it in line with the Strategic Resource stockpiling and keeps it from being OP: unless you are settled in a sea of tundra full of deer (in which case your cities may have other problems!) you are not going to be accumulating a lot of Bonus Resource Production to stockpile, but it does give you another option - and players another reason not to 'chop' Resources.

What continues to boggle my mind is that we're two expansions in and there's no sign of Singapore, one of the few remaining examples of an actual city-state we have. It's quite a glaring omission when you think about cities like Mexico City (which arguably is the same city as the Aztec capital) and Cardiff showing up. And if there indeed is an unknown militaristic Asian city-state we don't know about, then I can't really imagine it being Singapore. I'd imagine them to be either economic or industrial.

The absence of Singapore is indeed a flagrant, as are other important city-states like Venice and Vatican City, and even important historical cities like Prague and Vienna. If there's a third expansion, it might be that some of them are there, but I'm inclined to think they've opted for new names this time around.

Bologna makes sense as a replacement for Stockholm as a science civ, because of the importance of the university. With reference to Siptah's post, Malta is already in with Valetta, and Palembang is in Indonesia's city list. As to Tangiers, personally I'd like to see Morocco make a return if there is a third expansion, though I suspect that demand for desert civs may already be sated.

This is another of the new Mechanisms that, it seems to me, could be broadened to include other resources: why not be able to stockpile or to require more Amenity Resources, to aid certain cities to grow or combat Unhappiness? How about some Bonus Resources being stockpiled as Food or Production amounts to 'boost' a new city?

Right now in Civ VI we have a peculiar situation in which a Builder can instantly build an Improvement, but Units, Districts, Wonders, and everything else requires the same old system of building turn by turn using whatever (artificial) Production Points the city has per turn. This results in such ludicrusities as a Slinger taking 200 years to 'build' in the Ancient Era. Instead, why not 'stockpile' Production Points from Bonus resources like Stone or Deer to 'rush build' a unit?
By tying this to only Bonus Resource Production it both keeps it in line with the Strategic Resource stockpiling and keeps it from being OP: unless you are settled in a sea of tundra full of deer (in which case your cities may have other problems!) you are not going to be accumulating a lot of Bonus Resource Production to stockpile, but it does give you another option - and players another reason not to 'chop' Resources.

I agree. I commented on this elsewhere. I hope for Civ 7 that they continue the logic of these changes and allow items to be purchased once the required resources are available. The only thing that should take multiple turns to produce in a city is a Wonder.

What continues to boggle my mind is that we're two expansions in and there's no sign of Singapore, one of the few remaining examples of an actual city-state we have. It's quite a glaring omission when you think about cities like Mexico City (which arguably is the same city as the Aztec capital) and Cardiff showing up. And if there indeed is an unknown militaristic Asian city-state we don't know about, then I can't really imagine it being Singapore. I'd imagine them to be either economic or industrial.

I think you have to consider city-states in game less as real-life important cities that are being represented and more as smaller representations of larger empires that aren't included as major civilizations. This is how the majority of VI's city-states act, not including some really important cities like Jerusalem. City-states like Mexico City and Cardiff are more about representing Wales and Mexico than they are about representing the cities themselves.

That said, I'm still surprised it was Bologna over Genoa, which rivalled Venice in influence. Or even Sicily. Meh.
As said before by @Hans Castorp, Bologna was added to replace Stockholm. As Genoa and Venice were commercial (I have no clue about what would fit Sicily), and as Bologna has the oldest and one of the most prestigious universities in Europe, it makes perfect sense for for it being a scientific CS to replace scientific Stockholm.

As to Tangiers, personally I'd like to see Morocco make a return if there is a third expansion, though I suspect that demand for desert civs may already be sated.

If there is indeed a third expansion, then there's no reason to believe they wouldn't include a civ that has some benefit from desert. Berbers/Morocco would be pretty cool. They can have a diplomatic or military flavor.

As to Tangiers, personally I'd like to see Morocco make a return if there is a third expansion, though I suspect that demand for desert civs may already be sated.

Arabia doesn't have a desert start bias and it doesn't look like Sweden will have a tundra start bias, so Morocco doesn't necessarily have to have a desert start bias.

As said before by @Hans Castorp, Bologna was added to replace Stockholm. As Genoa and Venice were commercial (I have no clue about what would fit Sicily), and as Bologna has the oldest and one of the most prestigious universities in Europe, it makes perfect sense for for it being a scientific CS to replace scientific Stockholm.

Oh yes as a Stockholm replacement it is fine. I just did not expect it to be the first Italian CS.

short question regarding the new resources mechanic.
will we get the stockpiles when we conquer cities from the AI , or lose our stockpile when we lose cities?

So the remaining(?) new wonder is visible in the Ottoman First Look (@1:02).

I guess it's Gopuram/Meenakshi Temple?
Gopuram is not something distinctive, but an architectural feature of most South Indian temples afaik. Minakshi is a good guess, I suggested it earlier as well. The color is a bit off though. I found a red one some weeks ago, but forgot the name. It‘s buried in the GS Screenshot thread somewhere...

short question regarding the new resources mechanic.
will we get the stockpiles when we conquer cities from the AI , or lose our stockpile when we lose cities?
I don't think we know yet. My guess is that you don't actually gain resources from the AI or lose them to the AI, but if the loss of the city lowers the max stockpile to a number below what you have, the excess disappears. But that's a good question for a livestream, I think.

Top Bottom