1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Boccages

Boccages Warlord

Canada civ would be weird. It's an appendice to the USA really with federal institutions uniting two nations...

2. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

I agree that this expansion makes the game very complete, but there are always things they can add. They can improve religion, improve trade and add economic victory, improve the colonization system in other continents, improve the barbarians and separate them into different groups and even migratory movements. I really hope there is a third expansion to add the important civs missing.

3. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

I'll still defend Kristina. She might not have ruled for more than a decade as an adult (though she did at least rule unlike certain other choices), but her intellectual pursuits and patronage of artists, philosophers, and scientists would IMO make her a good choice for a Sweden that focuses on Culture, Science, and/or Great People. She's also a perfect fit for the "big personality" approach, from what I know of her.

Could be, but the leak did specify Matthias Corvinus, and he's usually depicted with a wreath and not the crown.

4. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

We have as many post-colonial civs than New World civs. Think about that. USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil vs Inca, Aztecs, Cree and Mapuche. But nice to know that Australia and Canada are more important than including Maya's in, even when the current-themed expansion is about natural disasters, and even though that the Maya's had an excellent female pick, which wasn't as farfetched as Sweden's pick. Australia of course is picked as a pick from Oceania, and Brazil seems to have replaced Portugal.

j51, darkace77450 and Zaarin like this.
  5. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Well. There you go. England got a rework.

A sad goodbye to the British Museum. We loved you, but it made no sense England having a British Museum and I’m guessing changes to the Culture Victory meant you were in trouble anyway.

Goodbye Vanilla Pax B. You were fun. I honestly have no idea what you’ve been replaced with, but it has a Trade Route, and well that could be fun.

Goodbye Sea Dog ... no wait. There’s still a Sea Dog? Well. I guess.

And Hello Trade Route, a whole Industrial Revolution thing, and ... something to do with Military Engineers. Yeah. Okay. I’ll take Military Engineers. Maybe they’re buffed in GS.

And Hello still having a RND. Good old friend.

AvianBritish and Hawke9 like this.
  6. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Okay... really? I'm not going to pretend I know much about Kristina but from what I can gather on Wiki she's mostly known for cross-dressing, probably being non-binary, being very educated, converting to Catholicism and abdicating.

Are you really comparing her to someone who collaborated with the Nazis in the persecution and mass killing of his own people?

7. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

She abdicated after a few years as monarch and did nothing of note, to my knowledge, while holding the crown. Sweden has a lot of big personalities to choose from who have actual accomplishments. Though TBH, if the leak is true, I'm more upset about Canada and Eleanor than Christina. Christina's merely disappointing; Canada and Eleanor are nonsensical.

SelmanV and darkace77450 like this.
  8. HanNorwood

HanNorwood .exe

I don't understand why, if the leak is right, we can't get Gustav II Adolf again. I understand Firaxis wants new representation, but there's some leaders that embody their civ's spirit, like Genghis Khan for Mongolia, Pedro for Brazil, and ... Gustav for Sweden!

Side note; ecstatic Hungary seems likely to be in the game, based on the accuracy of the leak. I've been fighting for them and Cornelius since I started playing Civ! (Sadly, it probably makes Wallachia/Romania with Vlad the Impaler less likely. :()

9. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Warlord

Yes, just like Frederick Barbarossa is often depicted with full-body platemail :^)

I mean, obviously this is hopeful speculation on my part based on the trailer, but I wouldn't bet on Firaxis relying on presenting their leaders in a necessarily recognizable facade. Not that it would hurt in this case anyway, the holy crown of Hungary is a prominent symbol of Hungarian nationalism and previously appeared prominently on their flag.

10. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

Okay I got a couple of hours sleep, and have gone through all the threads to update the Features Post - is there anything I missed?

Leyrann likes this.
  11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The stream video is now up on youtube.

12. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I'm worried about how my specs will run this expansion. Should I even worry in the first place? Specs for base games carry over into expansions, I know, but...

Or maybe I'm just overthinking? :(

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  13. local_hero

local_hero Prince

Ruled for a decade and had other merits which blackcatatonic and Lord Xavius has noted.

I'm glad if Sweden makes the cut but much more so if it is without a militaristic leader or military focus. The most recognisable monarchs internationally are probably Gustavus Adolphus and Charles XII I suppose. Both were accomplished in warfare, but what of their achievements lasted long term? I don't think they had particularly interesting personalities either so I'm quite content if Kristina is in. I would have liked Gustav III the most though!

Uberfrog likes this.
  14. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

There's the new "jersey" system they talked about for Civ colours - each Civ has multiple colour sets they can use depending on who else is in the game that they might otherwise clash with. I can't see it in the Steam page but it was mentioned in the stream.

15. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Honestly, Kristina is the only reason why I'm excited for Sweden in the first place. *Yawn* another Scandinavian Civ, *Yawn* another European Civ that *isn't* Portugal, Austria or Byzantium. Like, bring on a lesbian bookworm who was *soooooo* #OverIt with ruling and marrying and all that other aristocrat/puritan nonsense which distracted her from further deepening her already extensive knowledge of Inner Mongolian dialects, advanced Astrophysics and Classic Phoenician Literature. So what if she retired and went to Rome to become a one of the world's first socialites, spending the rest of her life on booze, women and the occasional Papal banquet? So would we all, don't lie. Role model to us all.

In sum, I support this choice ironically... and perhaps unironically as well? lol. :X

Oh and Canada being in over [insert your favorite civ here] sucks massively, but be happy there's only one ridiculous pandering civ choice in this XPac. Count your blessings, chickens, while this game is still Atawallpa-free.

16. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

Nope. She's pretty much synonymous with "traitor".
    Yeah, I am. Being a traitor is pretty much the legacy she has, much like Quisling.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    SelmanV likes this.
  17. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

There is always something missing :)

SirMediocrity likes this.
  18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Kristina had a very, um, "colourful" relationship with her chancellor and mentor, Axel Oxenstierna and her court educator, René Descartes. But Oxenstierna could be a good model for a Unique Governor.

That said, I won't deny that 1) Oxenstierna would be a good choice to lead Sweden outright (similar to Bismarck, Gajah Mada and Churchill), 2) There are other civs who could get a Unique Governor instead (Persia, Ottomans or maybe even as a part of Eleanor's ability)

SirMediocrity and Siptah like this.
  19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

United States: Experiencing one of the worst droughts ever in the Southwest including massive wildfires in California.
    China: severe air quality problems.

I could go on, that's just a taste.

20. local_hero

local_hero Prince

No, nowhere near as Quisling is. She may have been judged harshly by older Swedish historians, but no. I completely disagree.