[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

She abdicated after a few years as monarch and did nothing of note, to my knowledge, while holding the crown. Sweden has a lot of big personalities to choose from who have actual accomplishments. Though TBH, if the leak is true, I'm more upset about Canada and Eleanor than Christina. Christina's merely disappointing; Canada and Eleanor are nonsensical.
It might not be as immediately impressive as the military achievements of the great Swedish warrior-kings, but she did do a lot for the advancement of the arts and surrounded herself with major philosophers of the age, becoming known as the Minerva of the North. At least in my opinion her accomplishments make her a much more suitable candidate for Civilization than a lot of Swedish monarchs.

No disagreement on Canada or Eleanor, though. So many other notable civs to choose from, so many other existing civs that really could've used new leaders...

Yes, just like Frederick Barbarossa is often depicted with full-body platemail :^)

I mean, obviously this is hopeful speculation on my part based on the trailer, but I wouldn't bet on Firaxis relying on presenting their leaders in a necessarily recognizable facade. Not that it would hurt in this case anyway, the holy crown of Hungary is a prominent symbol of Hungarian nationalism and previously appeared prominently on their flag.
I still feel Hungary seems more likely, but fair enough. You could very well be entirely correct.

No, nowhere near as Quisling is. She may have been judged harshly by older Swedish historians, but no. I completely disagree.
It is undisputed fact that she is judged as a traitor. We're not discussing degree here. Picking a traitor in any case to lead a civilization is a very poor choice and I cannot understand why they would ever make such a decision.

The natural feature naming system is going to be great when you start a new game and discover how close (and who) your neighbors are prior to actually seeing them. This will save time when rage quitting because you discovered a river near your capital is NOT named after one related to your civ!

Just saw all the news about the new Civ VI expansion, and I am very impressed by what I have seen so far. Firaxis has yet to add a Finnish civilization to the game, but perhaps they could add it later on via downloadable content like they did with Australia.

2017 was the 100th anniversary of Finnish independence, so adding a Finnish civ to the game would have been perfect tribute. They added a WW1 themed scenario to the game, so adding Finland would have nicely complimented that. They have Sweden and Russia in the game now, so why not Finland?

Some of the civilization leaders chosen by Firaxis are questionable choices, but the overall game seem to be heading in the right direction. France needs a new leader, and the French Canadians or even the Acadians could use some representation, but maybe that will come in Civ VII. A simple city state like Quebec City (French Canadians) or Port Royal (Acadians) could address this as well.

In regards to gameplay changes, I absolutely love the ability to be able to make changes to existing tiles, as it would allow me to settle cities in locations I previously avoided. Nothing was more annoying, than have a water tile or non removable strategic / luxury resource inconveniently located where I wanted to place a district, wonder or city.

Meanwhile, I'm just interested in how good the production queue is. If the game actually finally has a darn unmodded production queue now that isn't plagued with unnecessary clicks then I might care a little more about this expansion.

My favorite part was at the end when they opened up for questions from the stream, 75% of the messages were asking about AI, and those were completely ignored to answer the other 25% of the peoples' questions. Yup, that's always a good sign.

Overall I really don't care too much for this expansion premise. Despite that they are trying to make random effects generally beneficially even if they're detrimental in the short-term, whenever a new system is added, I have to question "why is this necessary?" Loyalty was a way to make ICS less feasible, sure ok.

So you take that and ask here, "What is random events trying to solve?" Currently it just seems like a "because we think it's cool" mechanic. I don't really think it's that interesting outside of being shiny.

I guess the new stab at trying to make diplomacy better is something that helps address current problems in the game, but you just have to admit that nothing can ever really be done that doesn't make aggression the best strategy without straight-up limiting your options to go to war, which I know Civ won't do.

I am intrigued by how the AI will interact with the ramifactions of climate change. A player could theoretically play to mitigate all climate effects within her/his own borders, but I could see the AI churn out coal plants and oil platforms ad nauseum simply to remain hyper-productive, which means even the greenest of players will suffer the consequences of AI actions. Very interesting...

Ally with Teddy and tell him to bring his big stick to a diplomatic summit wherein you "gently" convince the rest of the world to knock it off.

I must admit that I'm a bit flummoxed by Canada being a civ. I thought the Cree had it covered, I guess.

Who would be a fitting leader for a Finnish civ? C.G.E. Mannerheim?

C.G.E. Mannerheim would be a decent choice, but my vote would be for the famous Finnish Composer Jean Sibelius, who made significant contributions to the Finnish quest for independence.

What is random events trying to solve?

One mechanic they are addressing is chopping down all your forest and rainforest which we already know is a huge exploit.

As for this expansion, I love it. It does seem that based on the price and size of this expansion this is all we will get. I still hold out possibility of small dlc after that, but I think it's clear we won't get another expansion.

but my vote would be for the famous Finnish Composer Jean Sibelius

funny enough, I just heard a piece from him on the way home from lunch with my ex on our classical music station (89.7)

About Kristina, since Vanilla civs were announced, I noticed that the Civ VI have a philosophy of choosing leaders, for most of the main civs, who probably would never have an oportunity to appear ingame due to other more famous figures who are always chosen. In some cases, it worked and was well accepted, like Trajan, Roosevelt, Hojo, Philipe II, etc., but in other cases, Like Catarina de Medici, it wasn't. I think Kristina is the second case. She could be well done, and make more people interested on read about her, but still won't be completely accepted by many people...

:rolleyes: (No, I'm not a climate change denier. I just think the politicization of the issue by both sides is inane.)

Fun fact: Here in Brazil, ou next Minister of Foreign Relations actually believes that climate change is a hoax made by globalists in the UN to fortify the Chinese economic growth, and to decrease the development of poor nations...
Back to the game, will the World Congress have such power?

Last edited:
Regarding a 3rd expansion: This expansion is giving us a fleshed out diplomatic system, a diplomatic victory, a more robust late game with an additional era, and a proper industrial revolution. And Ed more than once implied that the number of existing Civs is becoming cumbersome. What could they possibly have left for a 3rd expansion? Ideologies and maybe corporations and an economic victory? Is that enough to justify an expansion? Would you pay $30 to $40 for that and another eight civilizations?

Regarding the $40 price tag: Someone's gotta foot the bill for Ed's gallivanting about the globe in the name of research, and you can bet your bottom dollar Take-Two is going to be more than happy to pass that cost onto us. :p

I am about 90% sure that a third expansion is on the table. So I am not giving up all hope yet on getting my beloved Vietnam. That leaker from before seemed to get everything right, and the possibility of us getting a third expansion was another one of their posts. While the spread of civs in this expansion isn't the best, as a stepping stone to the next expansion I think it is pretty good. My only question is what would even be left to add after this expansion beyond new civs? We don't even know everything in this expansion yet and it already filled out my whole bucket list beyond the whole: I need vietnam thing. We will just have to wait and see, but I wouldn't spell doom and gloom for more yet.

One mechanic they are addressing is chopping down all your forest and rainforest which we already know is a huge exploit.

As for this expansion, I love it. It does seem that based on the price and size of this expansion this is all we will get. I still hold out possibility of small dlc after that, but I think it's clear we won't get another expansion.

funny enough, I just heard a piece from him on the way home from lunch with my ex on our classical music station (89.7)

In my humble opinion, Jean Sibelius is the greatest composer and his Spring Song, Karelia Suite or Finlandia would be a perfect theme song for a Finnish Civ.

The only criticism I have of Sibelius, is that he burned some of his compositions, depriving the world of whatever was written on those manuscripts, which allegedly included an 8th symphony.

Top Bottom