[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

What benefits could settling on a fault line (and thus risking earthquakes) offer?
Mountains. Volcanic soil. Resources. Geothermal features.

Mountains are more likely to be located near fault lines.

After all, many mountain ranges are located at or near plate boundaries and most mountains are formed from numerous earthquakes over millions of years.

True, but you're doubling up on the risk with volcanic eruptions and earthquakes at that point. I like me a nice Campus adjacency bonus as much as the next guy, but if I'm going to spend half the game digging my library out from under a carpet of volcanic ash or rebuilding my mines after earthquakes then there'd better be a really compelling reason to settle on that fault line as opposed to two or three tiles away.

True, but you're doubling up on the risk with volcanic eruptions and earthquakes at that point.
As California, Japan, Anatolia, Mesoamerica, etc. are well aware. ;) In human history, despite the risk, volcanic regions and flood plains have been the two most desirable locations on the planet because the reward outweighs the risk--I hope (and it looks like) Gathering Storm captures that. Or as the Ferengi say, "The riskier the road, the greater the profit."

What is Lily Lancer and others that like to chop their way in 150 turn science wins going to do now that chopping all your trees creates disasters of your soil?

I would say I feel bad for them but I would be lying, lol.

Who else noticed that Spearman making short work of that barbarian horseman unit? Did they properly buff or fix anti calvary vs mounted units?

There's no way to know until it comes out. Early versions will probably not be fully optimized, so even someone who's played it won't be able to tell you.

I guess I'll be joining in the hype train until I am sure I will reach my destination. By that I mean assurance that despite having these dynamic features like storms, dynamic tiles and climate change/rising sea levels, my computer can run GS well as it would normally do with just R&F. If that won't be the case then I might probably end up in the wrong station (not be able to run the expansion at all with my present settings)... or I must find other means of transport (lower... my settings...:cry:)

Another thing I forgot to mention I'm hyped about: plate tectonics! I hate the way Civ6 randomly generates continents, so this makes me super excited.[\QUOTE]
What do you mean with plate tectonics? As far as I know there are no earthquakes and no plate tectonic.

Or did Firaxis say anything about how the world map was created that has to do with plate tectonics?

What is Lily Lancer and others that like to chop their way in 150 turn science wins going to do now that chopping all your trees creates disasters of your soil?

I would say I feel bad for them but I would be lying, lol.

Who else noticed that Spearman making short work of that barbarian horseman unit? Did they properly buff or fix anti calvary vs mounted units?

Chop lovers will probably reduce the global warming option to minimum in the start menu.

Chop lovers will probably reduce the global warming option to minimum in the start menu.

Yeah but how little environment effect does that provide?

Some of the chop guys like to chop out an entire army on deity. Who cares about your capital if you need a fast army to take your neighbor out in order to catch up.

The guys that chop at the very end for space projects, might chop at the very end as usual so maybe it will not affect anything after all. End game it probably does not matter. You will already have the population you need.

Yeah but how little environment effect does that provide?

Some of the chop guys like to chop out an entire army on deity. Who cares about your capital if you need a fast army to take your neighbor out in order to catch up.

The guys that chop at the very end for space projects, might chop at the very end as usual so maybe it will not affect anything after all. End game it probably does not matter. You will already have the population you need.

I guess it depends on how fast global climate change catches up with you. Can you chop like mad and win a domination victory before the disasters wipe out your army? But even then, it will likely harm the ai as much or more than you.

The whole strategic resources change has me most excited. Having to acquire Iron, then let it accumulate so you can spend it to buy/upgrade to units that require iron could have a real impact on early warfare.
And having to power cities and districts in the late game sounds great.

Top Bottom