[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

So Ed was talking about unit maintenance with strategic resources. It sounds like say tanks/planes/ironclads etc may just be unable to move if you run out of oil/coal/etc I your stockpile (and maybe your power plants stop working)?

That might make a lot more of a 'build new or maintain current' balance decision late game (and might make England's UA stronger than it appears).

Otoh that seems like a good candidate for "thing AI can't handle well" (let's pillage the AI coal mine and game over.) I'd almost hope they added a percentage bonus to the AI for strategic resources output for higher levels.

Makes me wonder if they will finally implement some type of manufacturing but I doubt they will implement such a game changing macro type event. Like Coal + Iron could make Steel than one could train or give buffs to certain types of Units etc.

Climate change is increasing the likelihood of something happening to a nuclear plant, or, more realisitically, something happening to waste sites.

I wonder how they are going to handle nuclear power. Does not produce carbon emissions, but the waste lasts a zillion years.

I'm only on page 22 of the comments and I'd really like for people to stop saying my country is an appendage of the United States, it really is insulting. We are vastly different, just in our healthcare system for starter, in our gun control policies and for having the only French nation in the Americas. Doesn't mean I wanted Canada in the game though.

Climate change is increasing the likelihood of something happening to a nuclear plant, or, more realisitically, something happening to waste sites.

I wonder how they are going to handle nuclear power. Does not produce carbon emissions, but the waste lasts a zillion years.

Use the same mechanic like in Civ IV. Have Nuclear Fallout where worker units are able to clean up.

Expecting major reworks this late in the development is a complete pipe dream. At most they can do minor tweaks like they did with R&F and offering input on minor tweaks can't really be done until we have more information and numbers.

We will know if the AI is improved once streamers start playing the press release. Either way, there's very little chance of anything happening with the AI at this point that hasn't already been done during the development of GS.

I disagree. The AI isn't a rework. It's teaching the computer controlled civs to use the new mechanics that have been created. It can barely start until those new mechanics themselves near their final state.

Now is exactly when Firaxis could - if they chose - invest money into the quality of the AI. Assuming the other mechanics are nearly complete, there are two months of possible playtesting and work on the AI. How much resources Firaxis chooses to invest in this area in this time frame might - just might, no guarantees - but might be impacted by their assessment of the payback on that investment.

So Ed was talking about unit maintenance with strategic resources. It sounds like say tanks/planes/ironclads etc may just be unable to move if you run out of oil/coal/etc I your stockpile (and maybe your power plants stop working)?

That might make a lot more of a 'build new or maintain current' balance decision late game (and might make England's UA stronger than it appears).

Otoh that seems like a good candidate for "thing AI can't handle well" (let's pillage the AI coal mine and game over.) I'd almost hope they added a percentage bonus to the AI for strategic resources output for higher levels.

It's also a candidate to simply give the AI a pass on, at least for higher levels. Same for climate effects. It might end up being a better game if only the human player needs to worry about managing these things.

Oh, speaking about climate change: what about AGRICULTURE?

Half of my country's emissions come from agriculture. Is this in the expansion?

Is the storm stream still available on YouTube? I am actually tempted to listen to it again; it's super soothing to have on in the background while working!
Here you go:

I think you might be confused with holy orders such as the Jesuits. The coureur des bois were in it for the money and the pretty girls.
Wait, what did I say that was wrong? The coureur des bois definitely did go live with natives and did strengthen French-native relations. They were extremely useful to French colonization efforts as they could learn the native languages, learn the lay of the land, and forge strong trade relationships with the natives there. It was these coureurs who were the first Europeans to chart the Great Lakes, after all.

It's also a candidate to simply give the AI a pass on, at least for higher levels. Same for climate effects. It might end up being a better game if only the human player needs to worry about managing these things.

That would be ridiculous and completely ruin the game.

Blizzards + Cossacks + Defender of the Faith = Glorious unconquerable motherland. Can't wait.

Don't forget modded Russia and the T-34s comrade!

But I haven’t played for the last 3 months because as someone else pointed out, once you play with the new expansion features that excitement fades away quickly and what really matters is the A.I. as far as true game longevity/re playability. Of course I am buying the expansion - take my money no matter what - but the key question is whether they can make the A.I. competent enough so it feels like a challenge and the fate of the game isn’t always decided by turn 100. If it’s like R&F , I’ll likely play for another hundred hours and stop.

That's interesting I think for me it's the new civs that is the draw. I can't resist buying the game for the city design, leader, units, mechanics and music of 8 new civs. If the AI is your thing then there is a mod called 'improved AI' which might tempt you to play longer. it's not perfect but the AI can wage war and take your cities competently. I think a lot of the time people complain about the AI but the same people will have 10 saved files to go back to when they mess up.

The new expansion looks good one of my biggest problems with the game is that every AI civ chops everything in site. Kongo AI even chops down all their rainforests for farms at the expense of getting to use their really good unique district. I'm not sure about all the new units though. I wish instead they would re skin the existing units for every civ instead of adding units that are culturally inappropriate, like the Indonesian Pike and Shot.

Wait, what did I say that was wrong? The coureur des bois definitely did go live with natives and did strengthen French-native relations. They were extremely useful to French colonization efforts as they could learn the native languages, learn the lay of the land, and forge strong trade relationships with the natives there. It was these coureurs who were the first Europeans to chart the Great Lakes, after all.

I'm not saying they did nothing of that, just that if they did, it was a fortunate side effect, because the guys themselves were in that trade for the money, not to act as diplomats or explorators.

Oh, speaking about climate change: what about AGRICULTURE?

Half of my country's emissions come from agriculture. Is this in the expansion?
The mechanic is probably tied more to deforestation, which is typically done to clear land for agriculture...so kind of in a way, yes.

This Byzantium conspiracy theory just won't die :lol:

I mean, I'm not saying I'll be devastated if they're in instead of Hungary (both worth inclusions IMO) but I really do trust the evidence of the leaks over the trailer scene which may or may not be hinting at anything.
Well if it's the Hungarians the question is which leader leak was the correct one: Arpad or Corvinus? And what kind of gameplay could each leader bring with him into the game.

Top Bottom