1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Only the aus UU is late game.

2. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Nope :)

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  3. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Brazil and the US are also late-game... but sure, let's stop adding the US to the Civ franchise and see how well that goes down :crazyeye:

Also, this expansion does seem to be geared at making the late game more interesting. Adding another late-game Civ makes sense.

4. Haig

Haig Warlord

I agree with Pistol90 couple of pages back that free cities should get something done with.

Like when a free city separates from an empire, congress could vote to give it back to it's new owner, original owner or grant it independence.

5. Vahnstad

Vahnstad Chieftain

Vesuvius erupted in like 72AD. Rome felt apart in 3th century, and Western Roman Empired ceased to exist in 5th century. I mean, there is literally no connection to it. Vesuvius referred to inclusion of natural disasters, phenomens and mechanics and Vesuvius itself will 100% certainly be added to the name list of volcanoes.

6. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Chieftain

Or every civ can decide on whether it recognizes it as a free city or not and based on the Congress consensus, the civs might get diplomatic favour (or lose) from it.
    Spoiler :
    *Kosovo is Serbia intensifies*

I think he was just being facetious.

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I thought about what the addition of a new era means for the game as it is. As I understand it, this will mean additional turns and not just making other eras shorter and stay with the same turn limit.

Surely, SciV needs a rework as it should happen at the end of the tech tree. The devs announced a rework and I think it will be putting the techs for the mars colony at the new end of the tree and not much more. A rework to CulV was also announced. This is more puzzling to me. I understand that CulV should also be a long game that finishes near end of the civic tree somehow. I hope it's not just a slower acquisition of tourism. Maybe a new-era alternative third tier culture square building with a new set of great people?

Considering Great People: will Firaxis introduce living ones? Invent people?

There's a slight buff to late game wonders with the additional era: the Maracanã will now be a half way decent wonder to build. Polar Station and Sydney Opera will rise above garbage.

I (very slightly) reduces the benefit from earlier chopping.

Anything else?

CivLuvah and Hawke9 like this.
  8. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

In the PC games (?) interview they mentioned that there will be essential techs or civics (I assume like Computers) for winning a Culture Victory that are placed in the Future Era.

Siptah likes this.
  9. masda_gib

masda_gib Chieftain

I'm sure the expansion will be awesome. These are just my wishes for cool/flavorful/funny tidbits for the expansion that use the new mechanics. :)

1) A "Vengeful Nature" pantheon that gives faith for each damaged improvement/building durin a catastrophe.
    - settle near volcano
    - get burnt
    - say your people angered the nature spirits and you need sacrifices
    - Profit!

2) Since they teased 3 future governments, I hope those are... Purity, Harmony and Supremacy. And that this time they are fun. ;)
    I don't think that'll be the case, but it's a funny thought.

What are your hopes?

TahamiTsunami, CivLuvah and Infixo like this.
  10. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

They may just shunt in names from Beyond Earth (or even XCOM).

SS-18 ICBM, Eagle Pursuit and Hawke9 like this.
  11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

They can use my name. I hereby give them permission to use my name. :)

They may just shunt in names from Beyond Earth (or even XCOM)

I would prefer SMAC names.

12. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Wouldn't Future Era Great People be the promising people of our time?

I got a nomination for Great Writers at least. Brandon Sanderson. (we also need Terry Pratchett for Information Era or perhaps even Atomic Era btw)

blackcatatonic, tedhebert and Kjimmet like this.
  13. Cossackaiser

Cossackaiser Chieftain

Perhaps they will use names of the developers?

Hawke9 likes this.
  14. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

After reading the official site a bit more thoroughly I got a bit triggered after reading this :
    "Of course, this gets tricky when a civ like the Netherlands discovers a Volcano – in that case, it will be named for a civ that isn’t in the current game".

Why do most people always forget about the Caribbean Netherlands (Saba, St Eustacius and Bonaire):

On the isle of Saba we have a volcano. At 887 metres (2,910 ft), Mount Scenery is also the highest point within the Netherlands.
    And on St. Eustacius the island is saddle-shaped, with the 602 meter-high dormant volcano Quill, (from Dutch kuil, meaning 'pit') to the southeast and the smaller pair Signal Hill/Little Mountain (or Bergje) and Boven Mountain to the northwest.

So if for some off chance someone from Firaxis reads this, please use these (or maybe the indonesian ones) instead of random ones.

15. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Perhaps because no one (alright, almost no one) in the Netherlands would consider that a Dutch volcano, and would rather consider that a Caribbean volcano?

Uberfrog likes this.
  16. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Well, isnt Batavia in the Dutch city list, too?^^"

17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I think it's quite obvious why people forget about the Caribbean Netherlands! Same reason people forget about the British Caribbean (and the volcano-filled South Sandwich Islands), and the French Overseas Departments. They're not exactly considered core territory, especially to an international audience.

However I agree that using these volcano names is a more elegant solution than choosing entirely unrelated ones (or Indonesian ones, considering Indonesia is, er, in the game already). The French could likewise have La Grand Soufrière from Guadeloupe, and the English could name Soufrière Hills from Montserrat or Mt Belinda from the South Sandwiches.

TahamiTsunami and CivLuvah like this.
  18. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

I also hope that they will closely connect the natural catastrophes with the religion system. They could cause faith loss or gain, dependent on your policy or government. You could even get a small chance for a prophet.

19. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Yes yes it is, as is the Netherlands Caribbean

20. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

People on those 3 isles (Saba, St Eustacius and Bonaire) are dutch citizens and vote for the Netherlands/European Parlement and the isles are (overseas) municipalities.

For example on the other hand Curaçao, Aruba and St Maarten are citizens but are self ruling countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

And international audiences probably haven't heard of half the cities, rivers and volcanoes of the other civilizations either.