[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Do you think that some names of Geographical Features could be shared by several Civs?
I don't know if it has been already said here. I got the idea when trying to figure out the possible Deserts and Mountain Ranges of Sumeria in the other thread.

This is likely, since some civilizations occupy very similar spots. For example, Greece, Macedon and Persia. Also, Canada (assuming it's in), Crees and the US might share a few. The Rhine would be shared by France, Germany and the Netherlands - but they could use local language translations here (Rhin, Rhein, Rijn).

Still, the bilingualism of Canada is something you don't have in the US.

Very much so where I live. It wasn't always this way of course, but it is now. And I took that language as well in high school, and remember virtually nothing. I can't seem to learn a 2nd language. We also have significant Hawaiian, Filipino, Korea, and Chinese./

Wasn't a lot of Civ5's music licensed?

Civ 4 most certainly did since the main music in the game wasn't done by the game composer, but famous pieces. I still love Nixon goes to china song (The People are the Heroes Now). I love that song. It most certainly is copywrited.

There’s scant few here in Virginia,

I noticed them when I returned 2 years ago. First time I was in Newport News/Norfolk/Virginia Beach in over 20 years. Of course they were mostly the ones cleaning the rooms. So there aren't that many.

It would be an unfair and maybe annoying solution to see local tranlations.
First, I wouldn't like to see both the Rijn and the Rhein in the same game.
Second, having non-Anglicised version of names is always least favoured in my opinion. I would like to see Damascus, not Dimashq. Carthage, not Qart Hadasht. For the sake of convinience and neat-ness. Anyway you can't reach absolute accuracy here.

Second, having non-Anglicised version of names is always least favoured in my opinion.
I'm of the opposite opinion. I'd like to see fewer Anglicizations, more accurate transliterations. TBH I wouldn't mind seeing Russian names in Cyrillic, Arabic names in Arabic, Chinese names in hanzi, Korean names in Hangul, etc., but I realize that's a lot to ask for general audience so I'll settle for accurate transliterations.

Anyway you can't reach absolute accuracy here.
Yes, you can, but the general audience won't like it. :p

Qart Hadasht
Qart-ḥadast, actually. :p

Having local translations is not what Firaxis typically does, so I do not think it would happen anyway. I imagine if the Rhine is taken by Germany, France will just take it off its list like city names when you have the same Civ multiple time in the game. It will actually allow to see more names coming up. I do like seeing local names myself, although not in local alphabet I am unable to read ;).

Thinking about this sentence, doesn't that mean that there is not only a leader with an additional UU, but also a leader with an additional unique infrastructure (they are also nine)?
In that case I could see Mali getting a mud mosque as well. The treasury I mentioned earlier could be a part of Mansa Musa’s leader ability.

I do like seeing local names myself, although not in local alphabet I am unable to read ;).
Pfft. I can't read any scripts but Roman, Greek, and Syriac (which no civ in the game uses); with difficulty I can make out bits and pieces of Cyrillic and Hangul. That doesn't change the fact I still want local scripts. :shifty: :lol: Gilgabro's cuneiform is going to be the real challenge here. :p

Sidenote, I was thinking about the climate change mechanic and I'm not sure whether this was addressed: Aside from ice caps melting, will other tiles change accordingly as well? For example, would forest areas be transformed into plains or plains into desert?

It wasn't mentioned on the feature list, so I suspect it isn't happening.

It certainly would be an interesting feature if it did happen, though it would require a more complicated climate model, since terrain type depends as much on precipitation as on temperature, and precipitation would be expected to increase in some regions and decrease in others as rising temperatures alter weather patterns. You might, for instance have plains tiles change to desert on side of a mountain range but change to grassland on the other side. For forests and grasslands/plains you actually could reasonably predict a change in either direction, since many grasses use a photosynthetic pathway (C4) that would be favored over trees' C3 pathway by warmer conditions but disfavored by higher CO2 concentrations.

De Rhine Delta in the Netherlands has many rivers as the Rhine splits in the Netherlands into several distributaries so we could also use the Waal, the Lek, the Nederrijn (literately Lower Rhine) and the IJssel together with the Schelde and Maas (Meuse)

Oh no. If hotseat text strings are still generated the way they are now, you could end up looking at a feature with a name localized to someone else's script on your machine.

The only way to stop this would be if you enforced transliteration with no variance for localisation.

Thinking about this sentence, doesn't that mean that there is not only a leader with an additional UU, but also a leader with an additional unique infrastructure (they are also nine)?

Ooh, well observed! Might be someone getting a new variation on a pre-existing district, like Brazil getting the copacabana, though

Now, would Cleopatra use Greek letters or hieroglyphics? That could be fun actually :).
Historically it should be Greek, but given the way Firaxis portrayed her I'm guessing Demotic (hieroglyphics would be a bit of a challenge, even though most of them have been added to Unicode). Coptic (basically Greek + a few symbols) might be a compromise?

Historically it should be Greek, but given the way Firaxis portrayed her I'm guessing Demotic (hieroglyphics would be a bit of a challenge, even though most of them have been added to Unicode). Coptic (basically Greek + a few symbols) might be a compromise?

Not to mention the little problem that if, for example, Egypt's Alternate Ruler was Hatshepset or Akhenaton or Rameses, you'd have to have everything in both Greek (Kleopatra) and Heiroglyphics - and I believe a couple of different kinds of hieroglyphics, although I'm not certain when the changes took place. Likewise, would Frederick Barbarossa and every other pre-20th century German leader have everything printed in Fraktur? Every American Alternate Ruler before Webster's dictionary have everything in English spelling rather than American? You do know that Russian Cyrillic used some different printing conventions before the mid-19th century - printed Russian for Peter I will not appear identical to that for, say, Lenin or Nicholas. I foresee a transliteration Can of Worms here...

Likewise, would Frederick Barbarossa and every other pre-20th century German leader have everything printed in Fraktur?
That would give me as a reason to play as Barbarossa again. :D Does Robert the Bruce get Insular script for his cities? Might have to play as him again, too. :p

Every American Alternate Ruler before Webster's dictionary have everything in English spelling rather than American?
I think we spelt our cities the same. :p

That would give me as a reason to play as Barbarossa again. :D Does Robert the Bruce get Insular script for his cities? Might have to play as him again, too. :p

Yeah, me too. And maybe Harald's titles all in Runes...

But not all of our place names and geographical features - admittedly, often because we adopted or stole these from the natives. I know, having grown up near it, that there were at least three different transliterations or spellings for the Susquehanna River, because it was 'translated' by English, German, and Scots settlers, each slightly differently.

Oh, sudden Brain Storm. Does anybody know if we are going to get the option to Add Placenames or change them during a game? like, if Peter gets wiped out early by the Scythians, can they change the Don River to the Tanais? And, if you win a battle can you name the Battlefield (and perhaps Guarantee a later Artifact there?)

Do we get drawings for Montezuma I? After all, pre-Columbian Nahuatl consists purely of drawings.

Top Bottom