1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Chieftain

In case you're talking about that one specific thread made by a disgruntled Swede, his first source was an opinion piece by a "pop-historian" in a tabloid, and the second one points out that she's not regarded as a traitor today. Naturally it's hard for those reading to know this, as I assume most people on the sub can't read Swedish, which made it easy for the OP to present it in a way that supports their view.

The thread has gone to the dumper last I checked, evolving into a war of yelling (as depressingly many Reddit threads do) between those who don't mind Kristina's inclusion and those who do.

Haig, TahamiTsunami, Leyrann and 4 others like this.
  2. Civbra

Civbra Chieftain

One thing I definitely like about Civilization is the background about every civ they decide put in the game. I am that kind of guy who read the entire manual and has a fall for history so civilopedia is a piece of cake. I definitely love when they put some civ or a Leader unusual in the game. The Kingdom of Georgia was one of thoose for me. Aside from be a game for fun, Civilization brings also information, knowledge and history and I love that.

3. Hawke9

Hawke9 Chieftain

Same here, I think civilization is a main reason why I'm interested in geography and history.

4. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

For me it's the opposite: it's because I have a genuine interest in geography and history that I like Civ (aside with paradox games)

5. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

Because of this game I now have three history books in my shelf.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I have been playing games with the new stuff in mind. Droughts seem to be there to stop deforestation. Weirdly now I am leaving a tree on a hill ... strange being gamey when there is no reason to

kryat, Leathaface, tedhebert and 5 others like this.
  7. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

I believe Kristina is a decent choice if they wanted Sweden to be a diplomatic/Nobel prize civilization and not a militaristic one. As others have pointed out, pretty much all famous Swedish rulers were very militaristic (incidentally, I have seen Charles XII mentioned - wasn't he pretty much a mentally handicapped obsessive whose claim to fame was losing a war to Russia?)

As for Eleanor, I agree that there are leaders of both England and France who would be more apt - but if they want to try a leader who could (arguably) be both a ruler for France and England, there is probably no better choice.

Overall, stoked for the expansion. However, surprised there is no Venice - because if anything screams "canal district", it's Venice. Maybe they will come as a DLC?

8. Civbra

Civbra Chieftain

I bet it will, and it will be a super canal district. maybe with plus gold for trade routes passing through the city.

SelmanV likes this.
  9. Zyntax

Zyntax Chieftain

I'm just curious. What is it about Kristina that makes you believe that she would be a good pick? And i agree somewhat on Karl XII. He didn't really do things well for Sweden, but on the other hand, he was attacked by Russia, Prussia,Denmark, England etc. There wasn't much he could have done anyways...

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  10. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

WARNING. this post contains massive spoilers for the upcoming expansion. If you want to remain unspoiled DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS SENTENCE.

Kristina HAS to have a science, great person or governor focus (or a combination of all three). There's no other reason to choose her as a leader for Sweden, other than her obsession with bringing great people to her court.

Of the spoiled leaders, it is Eleanor's potential ability intrigues me the most. Everyone else has some clear focus: (warning: this is where i get carried away with my spec)

Kupe: Mythical discoverer of Aotearoa, so probably something exploration related. Resistance to rising sea levels of also an option (Agenda: either "Explorer" or "Environmentalist".)
    Kristina: She's the "Minerva of the North" so, I'd say enhanced great scientist recruitment and/or an advantage in winning Nobel Prizes (agenda is probably a reverse of Pedro's; she should like Civs that recruit Great People)
    Laurier: Longest serving Canadian PM, somewhat of a conciliator and mediator, so I'm guessing he gets a bonus towards earning Favors through diplomatic interactions. (agenda: likes civs that owe him diplomatic favours?)
    Dido: Married rich and got a lot of land through a crafty oxhide trick; so I'd say Lowered land purchasing costs and more grievances from betrayals (likes civs that maximize trade routes, hates civs that pillage them?)
    Mansa Musa: Golden Pilgrimage, probably a bonus towards Religious tourism, or gold generation from mines. ("Moneygrubber" type Agenda)
    Suleiman: The most iconic Ottoman ruler, so something related to Era Score or culture (Civilized (anti-Barb) Agenda?)
    Pachacuti: aka the "Earth Shaker", So some military bonus (cheaper units? Fewer Grievances from city capture?). I'd throw in a gimmicky anti-Drought ability as well, referencing El Niño. (Agenda: respects civs with high growth?)
    Corvinus: Corvinus was the elected monarch of *two* countries, Hungary and Bohemia. This screams Diplomatic Victory to me. (Agenda: wants to have as many great works as possible? (cf: the Biblioteca Corviniana)

Eleanor is a massive question mark, though. What is her ability? Extra diplomatic favour per turn? Extra culture from improvements? Her agenda is *probably* a variation of the generic "Cultured" agenda, but I struggle to come up with a suitable ability which has synergy with both Grand Tour AND Workshop of the World. Maybe she is the leader with the Unique Governor, after all (by which i mean: Eleanor *is* the Unique Governor *as well as* the Alt Leader for England and France. Can someone cradle Zaarin when he faints after reading this post?)

11. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Chieftain

I still think Suleiman is the most likely to have the Unique Governor, in this case Roxelana. He could also have some siege bonuses to match his most notable accomplishment.

12. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

He's on his last years. ;):lol:

Chicken-egg, egg chicken... for me it's both, oddly.

Hmmmm
    ...hopefully we'll have a DLC that has Italy in it
    *if you say it more and more it'll come true...*

13. Absolution

Absolution Chieftain

You see, that's what I'm talking about. What's the meaning of that comment?
    Neither is accurate. A more accurate form would be קרת חדשת, which is, if anything, closer to qrt hdst, which is bad as well.
    I see no better in your version over mine, both are representations, and are not accurate.
    They are ugly to read, surely to pronounce when read among English lines in the game. Why bother oneself with such instead of having a flow of language.
    And asking for inclusion of other scripts in the English version of the game is crazy, 99% of CFC top contributors won't be able to understand a thing.
    If you like to get some authentic feeling, a good idea is to add another version of the name to be visible when floating with the mouse over the city name, written also in an appropriate scipt.

14. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

Sorry but are those leaders confirmed already? If so where?

15. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

16. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Chieftain

I think it means two new sets of city architecture, like how in R&F we received a new "Eastern European" set of architecture for Georgia, Russia and Poland, and how an entirely new type of city architecture was made for the Cree.

SelmanV, CPWimmer, SS-18 ICBM and 2 others like this.
  17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

two new graphical sets. Surely, one is for the Maori. The other one... maybe Scandinavia gets a different one from central Europe? Maybe Mali gets a unique one as well? Maybe the Ottomans? All would certainly deserve it.

Actually, from my point of view, I would give them to the Ottomans and Mali. I don't want Mali to have the Kongolese architecture. And I don't want Mughal or Sumerian looking Ottomans. Not that anything already present would fit the Maori well, though.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

the artwork.

19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

With Machu Picchu and Pompei that prominent in the trailer, I haven't lost all hope for archeological wonders - even if they were not announced. Which makes them incredibly unlikely. ... ... :sad:

20. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

I would if I could. US and Aus have horrible music, and Brazil always annoys me.