1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Warlord

I've been a broken record on these same things for the last few years. The balance and pacing of the game is so out of whack. Every time there is a new mod that promotes balance or pacing changes I try it out. Unfortunately, I just haven't quite found one that does the trick. Civ6 is a super fun game but the lack of a challenge from the AI and unbalanced mechanics really make it more of a city builder and roleplaying game than a strategy game.

In anticipation of the new Total War: 3 Kingdoms, I've begun watching the 90+ episode "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms" Chinese TV show.

oedali likes this.
  2. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Practice makes perfect. You're merely preparing for the expansion, nothing wrong with that.

Hawke9 likes this.
  3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

No, but they were leaked by someone who got everything else right about gathering storm so far.

4. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Will the Maorii UU be a warrior or a war canoe?

I hope it is a warrior, so I can patu some heads and eat some hearts.

5. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

My speculation is that with Victoria losing the British Museum ability (and so, England losing a "Culture" focus), we could also see a similar re-focus for France and Catherine (towards more diplomatic stuff) - leaving Eleanor as a "Culture" leader for both nations. This would be consistent with the fact in Poitiers she ran the "Court of Love", which was a highly cultured court, inhabited by poets, troubadours and devoted to the principles of chivalry and courtly love.

Hawke9 likes this.
  6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'd go with the Maori and Mali.
    In a future expansion or DLC they can give them Byzantine architecture when they release Byzantium. :mischief:
    But for right now I expect they will have the Mughal set.

7. Proclo

Proclo Warlord

I don't know if this interview has been posted already https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-gathering-storm-natural-disasters , It gives a little more information but it opens the door to multiple interpretations and speculations and that is what I'm about to give you:
    • Power will give maximum yields to late eras buildings. If you don't have resources or power plants those buildings will still work, but with lowered capabilities.
    PCGN: So there’s no downside having insufficient power. Is it all upside?
    Beach: It’s true that there’s no major growth penalty or production penalty on the city, but you’re losing a lot. [Without power] those buildings are, I think, weaker at the endgame now than they used to be. So if your city’s not powered you’re not performing as well as in Rise and Fall or the base game.
    • The randomization of the Future Era techs/civics is produced at the start of the game, so we get to chose what tech/civic want to research, but the unlocking order of them change every time you start a game. So for example, the first time you play the XP you unlock the "Cold Fusion" through "AI" but the next time can be the other way around.
    PCGN: What’s the new era called?
    Shirk: We just call it the Future Era. The interesting hook with that is we’ve looked ahead at things like ‘what could the future of governments look like? What could the future of military forces look like?’. We’re not going to give out all the information about that right now. But one of the interesting things about that era is, because it’s about technologies and civics that mankind hasn’t got to yet, the rigid structure of a tech tree didn’t make much sense. What happens now in that era is there’s a randomisation that goes into it each time you start a game, so its technologies and civics don’t always hook up the same way.

• Diseases are not YET implemented in the game, so that give me hope to see a 3rd XP or a DLC that will bring them as a new feature.
    PCGN: Gathering Storm will add two new scenarios – one based on the buildup to World War I, and one based on the Black Death. Is disease one of the disasters in the main game?
    Shirk: No, no. We didn’t want to have disease yet, but that scenario definitely has disease in it. That was a really fun exercise. Something Ed’s touched on in the past is that scenarios give us a really great development field for trying out ideas. This is definitely one of those places, and it was actually pretty successful. Black Death is a really great race against one of the more unfortunate parts of our planet.

• I don´t remember if it was mentioned in the First Gamplay Stream, but in order to win a DV you will need to win not just one voting but a few through the Eras, starting in the Modern Era. So I think we recover the Civ5 World Congress-United Nations' dynamic: the World Congress will be summon when the first civilization finds all the other civilizations in the game and will become the UN when the World reaches the Modern Era.
    PCGN: You mentioned the new diplomatic victory – how has that changed?

Beach: Through the modern era and beyond, in most sessions of the World Congress there will be a resolution to see whether someone gets points towards a diplomatic victory. That’s something we’re balancing right now: how many times you need to win that vote. We’re trying to make sure that all the different victories are roughly equal in difficulty. But you won’t be able to just win that vote once and claim the diplomatic victory – you’ll have to show diplomatic leadership over several eras of the game, and win that vote multiple times, in order to achieve the diplomatic victory.

Shirk: Others can also take your diplomatic victory votes away from you [via the negative side of the diplomatic victory resolution], which is why it’s really important to play the favour game if you want to focus on the diplomatic victory.

oedali, KayAU, Hawke9 and 12 others like this.
  8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Do we have any clue if there will be prior warning to natural disasters, so that you can evacuate units? I mean, volcano eruption usually aren't occurring out of the blue these days.

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Poi dancers?
    I remember having to do that at school, how uncool.

BTW, anyone liking the rugby Haka.... it's just one of many... try this one, much better, great movie with bad actors

10. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

At least with Volcanoes, Ed mentioned that you will see them become active before they actually erupt.

11. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Warlord

IIRC eruptions are the most unpredictable disasters (or is it earthquakes? I'm not sure). And even if we can predict them the turn before (or two), you won't be able to have this technology before Modern or Atomic era.

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

one can predict neither well.
    Volcanoes there is often a swelling first and certainly heating as the lava rises.... but nada for earthquakes.... they are a pressure build up with a sudden shear.

if people are unaware ... the Hatepe eruption of taupo in NZ was the largest eruption in the last 5000 years... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taupo_Volcano.
    If you ever visit NZ I recommend a visit to white island, something I will never forget.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Hawke9 likes this.
  13. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

That's because none of those mods addresses the root problem, which is the production cost formula. Every column of the tech tree has a production cost for all units in that column, a production cost for all buildings in that column and a production cost for all wonders in that column. It is also always higher than the last column. That leads to two things:

1. Production costs escalate too much, meaning even in the late game you need a lot of time to build just one item. Because there are so many more options in the lategame, this means you don't have the production that you need.
    2. Production doesn't take balance into account. This is why, for example, anticav is so weak. If they would be 30% cheaper than they are (perhaps even if they were 20% cheaper) they would be much more useful. They might lose one on one, but you'd have more of them.

It was like 5 years ago a few dozen people in a Japanese National Park died to an unexpected eruption. Sure we can get some clues, but we don't actually know.

14. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Probably it'll be the Maori and Inca. I'd love if they made one for Latin America though, or at least changed Brazil from the Aztec one to the Mapuche one.

Hawke9 likes this.
  15. IdiotStyle

IdiotStyle Warlord

Don't incas have some sort of building technique to resist earthquakes too? seems interesting for the expansion :3

16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Maori is a good bet for a new artstyle.

17. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Congratulations. You got me reading articles about volcanoes and the like on Wikipedia.

I don't expect to be done any time soon...

CPWimmer, VermelhoRed and WillowBrook like this.
  18. Civbra

Civbra Warlord

there is a thread where we are arguing about the EQ system and How could work. I know that a lot what is in the trailer, not necessarily is on the game, but I guess Machu Picchu natural wonder is back (ow Yeah) and I'm pretty confident that the Incas will get something attached with natural disasters and/or volcanos.

Plus about the speculation on the 3th EX, I kind believe that is not a nonsense at all and maybe could happen. I said in another post, Firax are daring more on this game, risking and testing new stuff so woudn't surprise me. Matter of fact I would love it.

19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Machu Picchu natural wonder? That even worse than Machu Picchu world wonder!

Hawke9 likes this.
  20. Civbra

Civbra Warlord

Sorry I wrote that wrong Machu Picchu as a world wonder*. I liked it on Civ V. And could fit with the natural disaster system, giving some kind disaster mitigation or increase profits.

Hawke9 likes this.