[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Hopefully next week.

I am interested in the Black death scenario, do you think theres combat and conquest like in my fave scenario 'Into the renaissance' or just survival from plague?

Could someone with twitter ask Ed? :mischief:

On which day were the R&F "Deep dive" livestreams? Surely we'll see a similar pattern with GS...

Here is the schedule for first looks and lets play:

Tue - Nov 28 - RF Annoucement
Tue - Dec 05 - Korea Reveal
Tue - Dec 12 - Netherlands Reveal
Tue - Dec 19 - Mongolia Reveal
Wed - Dec 27 - India Alt Reveal
Tue - Jan 02 - Cree Reveal
Tue - Jan 09 - Georgia Reveal
Wed - Jan 24 - Scotland Reveal
Tue - Jan 30 - Mapuche Reveal
Tue - Feb 06 - Zulu Reveal

Devs Play

Wed - Dec 13 - Korea
Wed - Dec 20 - Mongolia
Wed - Jan 12 - India Alt
Wed - Jan 19 - Georgia
Wed - Jan 25 - Scotland
Tue - Feb 06 - Mapuche
Wed - Feb 07 - Zulu

Thu - Feb 08 - Release date

Considering they announced earlier and are releasing later ... they might opt to skip the holidays.

Still it would be nice to get something Xmas week. Even if it's just the alt leader reveal like last time. It helps to get that drug to tie us over. :) Perhaps they could do the reveal on Wednesday since Xmas is on Tuesday.

Did anyone notice on the scene in the trailer with the Oosterscheldekering that the chyron says Kamperland is safe? Kamperland is apparently the portion of the Netherlands protected by it. So that is definitely the specific flood barrier they are showing there.

Having been there (and having occasionally seen it on the news when there's a storm coming) I have to say I didn't need to hear that as confirmation that it's the Oosterscheldekering (I can only imagine what a disaster it must be for people that don't know Dutch to write that, by the way). It's super distinctive with the "towers".

'Oosterscheldekering'

It's not nearly as bad as, say, "Grossergefechtskurtwendung' from German naval history, or the infamous lake in Massachusetts that starts with 'Char-gog-a-gog' and goes on for about 25 syllables: try getting That onto the map as a place name!

Here is the schedule for first looks and lets play:

Tue - Nov 28 - RF Annoucement
Tue - Dec 05 - Korea Reveal
Tue - Dec 12 - Netherlands Reveal
Tue - Dec 19 - Mongolia Reveal
Wed - Dec 27 - India Alt Reveal
Tue - Jan 02 - Cree Reveal
Tue - Jan 09 - Georgia Reveal
Wed - Jan 24 - Scotland Reveal
Tue - Jan 30 - Mapuche Reveal
Tue - Feb 06 - Zulu Reveal

Devs Play

Wed - Dec 13 - Korea
Wed - Dec 20 - Mongolia
Wed - Jan 12 - India Alt
Wed - Jan 19 - Georgia
Wed - Jan 25 - Scotland
Tue - Feb 06 - Mapuche
Wed - Feb 07 - Zulu

Thu - Feb 08 - Release date

Considering they announced earlier and are releasing later ... they might opt to skip the holidays.

My prediction which I posted on the poll for the 1st first look video was:

20 Nov - Gathering Storm announcement
27 Nov - Maori led by Kupe (Obviously seen in the opening cinematic)
4 Dec - Inca led by Pachacuti (Seen into the Intro cinematic and are a popular favourite)
11 Dec - Hungary lead by Matthias Corvinus (link it to Saint Nicholas - the original Santa [Before Coca-cola made their red variant] so needs to be released in December [but conflicts with Eleanor for Christmas Day])
18 Dec - Sweden lead by Kristina (She was born on this date in 1626)
25 Dec - Eleanor of Aquitaine as an alternative leader for England and France. (Coronated for France on this date in 1137)
1 Jan - Mali led by Mansa Musa
8 Jan - All Content/Features explained video
15 Jan - Canada lead by Wilfred Laurier
22 Jan - Phoenicia lead by Dido
29 Jan - Ottomans led by Suleiman (most popular fan favourite)
5 Feb - Embargo lifted
12 Feb - Gathering Storm release

They didn't not do the Christmas holidays; be it a day late or so; but with Kristina, Eleanor and Hungary (Saint Nick) all being relevant to around that time I doubt they won't have some scheduled first looks.

'Oosterscheldekering'

It's not nearly as bad as, say, "Grossergefechtskurtwendung' from German naval history, or the infamous lake in Massachusetts that starts with 'Char-gog-a-gog' and goes on for about 25 syllables: try getting That onto the map as a place name!

And also with the adition of volcanoes ingame, people in Brazil will suffer with pneumoultramicroscopicossilicovulcanoconiótico (both with trying to remember the name of the disease and with actually dying of it)

Having been there (and having occasionally seen it on the news when there's a storm coming) I have to say I didn't need to hear that as confirmation that it's the Oosterscheldekering (I can only imagine what a disaster it must be for people that don't know Dutch to write that, by the way). It's super distinctive with the "towers".

When people first started talking about it I was dismissive, thinking it was modeled after it, but not intended to actually represent it. But with the name of the region right there, I changed my tune.

And also with the adition of volcanoes ingame, people in Brazil will suffer with pneumoultramicroscopicossilicovulcanoconiótico (both with trying to remember the name of the disease and with actually dying of it)
Dom Satan deserves it. :p

'Oosterscheldekering'

Wait, you think "Oosterscheldekering" is a difficult word? Cute.

Oh, sudden Brain Storm. Does anybody know if we are going to get the option to Add Placenames or change them during a game? like, if Peter gets wiped out early by the Scythians, can they change the Don River to the Tanais? And, if you win a battle can you name the Battlefield (and perhaps Guarantee a later Artifact there?)

Well, at least in the US most of the Native Americans were killed but a lot of their place names for things kept, so it's certainly not unprecedented to keep the former civs place names (like they do with city names).

I'm curious how the power plants will work, since I'm assuming they're still the tier-3 IZ building. If you build a Coal Power Plant, are you stuck with that building for the rest of the game? Or have they implemented a way to now upgrade existing buildings to a different one? I hope the latter.

I'm also curious as to whether or not "submerged" coastal tiles actually means that flooded coastal tiles are, well, coast terrain now. That would mean that terrain can now dynamically change, rather than just features. Again, I really hope that when the sea level rises that means that the sea is actually rising. In any case, hill tiles have gotten even better as locations for city settlement, as hill tiles are safe from river flooding, and (presumably) coastal flooding.

I also hope (but am not expecting) that aircraft and spies can bomb/sabotage canals and dams. It would be very interesting if you could cause floods by destroying a dam or cut trade routes by destroying a canal. I doubt you can do either, though.

Yeah, that is not a real word.

The word consists of three parts:

Ooster: Means "Eastern".
Schelde: Name of the river. The Oosterschelde is the eastern (or arguably northern) branch of it when it reaches the sea.
Kering: Blockade. Except it's not an actual blockade because it has been designed to normally let water go through and with the possibility of closing it when a storm occurs. (note that a tsunami, like in the video, is very unlikely in the Netherlands, because the North Sea isn't deep enough for it, plus there are neither volcanoes nor earthquake-prone spots nearby to generate them)

I also hope (but am not expecting) that aircraft and spies can bomb/sabotage canals and dams. It would be very interesting if you could cause floods by destroying a dam or cut trade routes by destroying a canal. I doubt you can do either, though.

The Netherlands actually had a habit of doing that defensively, protecting the core by flooding a line of polders around it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Water_Line

Then WWII happened and the Germans just paradropped and bombed behind it...

Wait, you think "Oosterscheldekering" is a difficult word? Cute.

I think it is a polysyllabic word, which many people find daunting until they are used to it. I had trouble getting my mouth around Blagoveschenskaya when I first ran into it in a German Kriegstagebuch while researching the attack on Moscow in 1941, but I'm feeling much better now...

Top Bottom