1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. diggerjohn111

diggerjohn111 Chieftain

The Janissary is so associated with the Ottoman Empire, it is even an adjective in English meaning, " a devoted follower or supporter". I don't think they need to make a different unit, though they might.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm surprised they haven't put out an announcement for a livestream tomorrow. They did them weekly right off the bat for RnF.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I saw a popup on my steam that an event was scheduled for Thursday at 3pm eastern. I can't find it anymore, but I think that's when the livestream demo for Hungary will be.

Haig likes this.
  4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

IF they can come up with the 'U-Boat' as a UU for Germany out of all the history of Prussian/German land warfare, then there is no telling what they will drag out of the dustbin for the Ottomans. Janissaries make too much sense, which to my mind makes them less likely.

We did see in one of the Screenshots a pair of horsemen with round shields, spears, pointed plumed helmets that looked a lot like Sipahis, but unfortunately they also looked a lot like everybody's poorly-armored Dark Age-Medieval Cavalry, including that of the Picts, Welsh and Dal Riada kingdoms of Dark Age Britain (no, no, no, I am not arguing that anything from that area or era will be included!)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  5. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Hopefully Firaxis views the Janissaries as indispensable to the Ottomans as the Legion is to Rome.

Besides which, they already have a Janissary model in the game from the old Polish scenario. If they designed the Ottomans with the Sipahi, let's say, I would be at a loss if they didn't simply throw the Janissary into the mix as well.

I think the mystery horsemen might be the new Courser unit that was spotted in the build queue.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Leyrann likes this.
  6. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I don’t know, it’s not like the U-Boat is an obscure pick for Germany, and given how much of Germany’s military history, at least in the mainstream consciousness, revolves around WW2, a late game unique unit was always a good likelihood.

Janissaries and Ottomans go together like Zulus and Impis or Vikings and the nonsensical Berserker. I will eat my börk if they don’t get one in GS.

Guandao, Leyrann, Kimiimaro and 3 others like this.
  7. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Don't get me wrong: I would LOVE for the Ottomans to get the Janissaries, not only because they are virtually Iconic to the Civ, but because there are so many different ways they could go with them: first regular infantry to use Volley Fire with muskets/arquebuses, infinite replacements from non-Islamic prisoners, Shock Infantry that at various times used powerful Archery, well-trained Swordsmen, or Muskets - in fact, just about the only unit with muskets/arquebus that could legitimately be called Musketmen instead of some form of Pike and Shot. In addition, they were used as administrators and had (later) a considerable Political Influence in the court.
    Drool.

As for the U-Boat, if WW2 is the emphasis in the popular conception of Military Germany, then far better would have been generic Panzers, specific Panther or Tiger tanks, Stuka dive bombers (a useful Fighter-equivalent UU for a change!), the first jet fighter in the Me-262, the '88' antiaircraft/antitank gun, early Mechanized infantry in the Panzer Grenadier - it's a little like out of all the polyreme ancient warships, they picked the Quadrireme, used only by Carthage and Athens, instead of the far more common Quinquereme, or the Hexareme or Decireme that made up the capital ships and flagships of the crowning polyreme battle at Actium.
    I'm all for introducing people to elements of history they were not familiar with, but sometimes, there is a reason that some military unit, system or piece of equipment is well-known...

Uberfrog likes this.
  8. Haig

Haig Warlord

U-boats were amongst the most feared German weapons in both world wars, they were deadly even as late as 1917.
    In WW2 they would have been even deadlier if they had produced them more and ahead of the war (glad they didnt though!)

Many German tanks like Panther had designs that caused malfunctions and spare part problems thru the war..

I say both u-boat and panzer are iconic though so they both have a place in the game. :)

(and I agree with Boris Gudenof Germany has a history full of interesting "units")

9. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Please don't eat any Icelandic singers. :mischief: Yes, I know her name is Björk.

Guandao, Kjimmet, racha and 2 others like this.
  10. Hawke9

Hawke9 Chieftain

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

It's something to do in the late game other than mash "Next Turn."

I don't think they were implemented well in Civ IV, but I can imagine some kind of Ed Beach boardgamey/cardgame approach that could be interesting.

12. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I think with some reworking of luxury resources, corporations could revolve around utilizing/monopolizing those in pursuit of some sort of economic victory.

13. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

If Hungary's Black Army forms an army, Matthias Corvinus would have a Black Army Army.

14. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Broken game, preorder cancelled

Duuk, Guandao, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Maybe if they were called Fekete Sereg it would be better. Then you would have a Fekete Sereg army, which would only be "Black Army army" to Hungarians. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Army_of_Hungary

Guandao and God of Kings like this.
  16. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

Yeah, that’s basically exactly what I don’t want.

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

18. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

What, corporations in general or corporations that revolve around luxury resources?

19. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

WillowBrook likes this.
  20. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

WillowBrook likes this.