1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

None of these female leaders were as pretty in real life as they are generally portrayed in Civilization.

I'm not complaining.

Leyrann, King William I and Guandao like this.
  2. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Eleanor was supposed to be a bit of a stunner by twelfth-century standards...

Zaarin likes this.
  3. Rayyy

Rayyy Chieftain

Sorry if someone already pointed it out but in the Rise and Fall trailer 0:23-0:33 it's a Dam being built, right?

dam.png

4. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Well, by that I also mean that they are also usually portrayed as much younger than they were when they came to power.

Wilhelmina, alas, can't seem to catch a break. :D

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

My main concern about trade routes is you don't really have a say in the route it takes. There may be times you want them to build roads, but other times you may want them to take a water route to make more money. I hate it now when I want my trade route to make roads, but takes a shorter water route instead. I like traders making roads, I just wish it was easier to make our own as well. and I kind of hate choosing crappy trade routes in order to get roads built.

I have no idea what this word means. Urban Dictionary wasn't very helpful in explaining it either. Maybe I'm showing my age here. :)

VermelhoRed likes this.
  6. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Eleanor was either 13 or 15 when she became Queen of France so I guess it's a good thing she doesn't look any younger in the game :lol: She was around 30 by the time she became Queen of England, though, in fairness.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

And Victoria was 18 when she was crowned, but that's not the age at which she's remembered. :D

rattatatouille, bbbt, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  8. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Let me enlighten you! :D

It's the Japanese spelling of the English pronunciation of the word "wife" and generally refers to a fictional character one has declared to be one's "wife". Basically, one's favourite. It started kinda as an anime-nerd/geek thing, but has expanded since then.

9. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I don't suppose there's any chance we could stop comparing the leaders based on their looks, is there? Isn't there a subreddit for this somewhere?

I know the leaders are now cartoons, but they're based on real people who shared physical features with current people, some of whom may be reading our comments into their own sense of self worth.

(Also, get off my lawn you whippersnappers! :old:)

Elhoim, Leathaface, Reckoner and 6 others like this.
  10. AvianBritish

AvianBritish King

I have been doing some research into Sweden and these are my findings...

I have never had Swedish Meatballs before... But these are delicious!
    That and Swedish people are so nice and kind and friendly!
    (I am traveling to Riga from London with a connecting flight in Warsaw. Missed my flight due to delays so LOT put me on a flight to Stockholm and then Riga. Now I have 2hrs of Swedish food and hospitality~)

On a serious note though, I am very intrested in what Kristina and Sweden will like. But more-so on the reaction from those not so fond of her...

Haig and Guandao like this.
  11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Urban dictionary doesn't have "waifu?" That's a real blower.

No.

Please tell me you're being ironic and not serious.

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

That's a few too many layers to be so thin-skinned. If self-worth is damaged by such a reach the best action is self-reflection, not hoping the internet will be nice.

Wow, I'd have not guessed that! What an oversight!

13. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

You know that TV sit-com stock plot of one character trying to go on two dates at once without either of the dates catching on? I imagine that's how that would work for a War of the Two Eleanors, with her hastily making up excuses for leaving each army and changing her clothing every 20 minutes until she screws up and greets the English army by saying "Bonjour!"

CPWimmer, Leyrann, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  14. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Nevermind, it does have "waifu"; I just checked. He must have misspelled it.

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

No I never said it wasn't there, just that the definition wasn't helpful. It seemed to be talking about something different than the context we were discussing Eleanor and Kristina.

16. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

You've been informed here so it's too late, but some things aren't worth knowing tbh.

17. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The world returns to normality. Not sure where I stand in the Civ 6 waifu wars though.

Leyrann and Guandao like this.
  18. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Tbf my explanation was rather tame given the extents of some extremes.

19. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

True! If only that definition encompassed all of it!

Cerilis and pokiehl like this.
  20. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Realistically, which I'm sure is not where they are going with all this, the amount of Resources used/required should increase dramatically with the Industrial Age or Era: the example I've used is Iron, of which about 200 tons would equip an entire Roman Legion with armor and weapons, but the same amount will barely build a single kilometer of (light service) railroad. 'Industrial Quantities' of some resources, like Iron, should change the requirements for that resource dramatically when you change from equipping a unit with individual weapons and start trying to manufacture Military Machinery: one medium-sized Ironclad requires, for another instance, 10 times the Iron or Iron Ore as it would to equip 10,000 Knights. Of course, when those kind of increases came into play, Deep Mining had been increasing access to ores for over 100 years and Steam Power applied to mining increased access again.

Leyrann and Trav'ling Canuck like this.