[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

With the weekly first look videos and livestream, you will never notice that we are getting closer and closer to release date.

What I am worried about is how to manage my time on Valentines Day. :)
Convince your significant other to celebrate on the Friday or Saturday before or after, so you can truly make a night of it.

You could make a date out of it. Buy copious champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries. Challenge each other to a game of hotseat multiplayer, duel map, domination only. Give yourselves 2 eras to build up, then fight. Remove an article of clothing for each city taken.

If the Ottomans get the unique governor, it might be a generic governor named "Pasha".

How about a unique Ottoman governor, that amongst other things grants a city the ability to build the rumoured "Corsair" unit (Barbary Pirates)?

I was very critical of the art style of Civ 6 when it was first announced, but it's grown on me. I like how pretty the map looks with all the little animations and vibrant colors.

I agree. It’s definitely more cartoony than 5, but no more cartoony than 4 in my opinion. It is beautiful though, I would argue more beautiful than 5. Unless you’re in a dark age :( :( :(

Agreed for the most part, but I still resent those open forests and rainforests, and specifically that the rainforests are basically a bunch of palm trees. Civ V had such beautiful forests...

How about a unique Ottoman governor, that amongst other things grants a city the ability to build the rumoured "Corsair" unit (Barbary Pirates)?

All civs can build Corsairs though... I'm still hoping it's Roxelana!

I need to stop thinking about GS or else the next 2 and a half months will crawl.

Agreed.

It looks like the game is going in a really good direction. England “fixed”. Looks like production is getting some rebalancing, maybe even IZ and IZ buildings too. Looks like Military is getting some rebalancing via new resource rules, ... and maybe FXS might even tweak anti-cav at the last moment? Also, relatedly, resources are being made more important. Diplomacy is getting cleaned up. All good stuff.

Then there’s some little things that are looking very cool. Like, seriously, skirmishers. They look fun. Nothing amazing, but maybe recon will have some more utility?

The more I’m hearing... the more I’m actually not interested in hearing any more. I’m almost tempted to just pre-order and switch off (...but I won’t. I’d rather wait until the inevitable hotfix and a few reviews here.).

I’m still curious about how other Civs have been reworked (esp China), improvements to air combat and the new governments and techs... but I can’t see there will be any shockers there. It looks like FXS have got this under control (although who knows what’ll happen with the AI ...probably not much).

Yeah. Maybe that’s the way forward. Get on with other things and hopefully - blink - I’ll be playing again in around Feb... er... March... ish... next year...? Or something.

(BTW, if GS is really that good, and we’re all playing again come March... and then we start getting DLC or noises of another expansion... well... 2019 is going to be very busy, that’s all I’ll say...)

Last edited:
... We apparently can no longer ignore the troops on the border message.

If this is the case, I hope the algorithm chooses the "lightest" DOW available in the casus belli list.
And we need an UI confirmation of this, so we know for sure and don't have to wonder about it.

Last edited:
@Leyrann ”Looks like” is the key part here.

FXS are introducing a power system. It’ll involve Industrial Zones. Power will boost yields. People have been complaining about IZs, IZ buildings and production costs as well as other things eg England. We know a lot of those “other things” have been buffed / reworked.

Based on the above, I’m guessing it’s at least 50:50 they’ll buff IZs and their buildings, either directly or indirectly. But no, it’s not guaranteed.

I’ve got my own mod that buffs IZs and IZ buildings. If those are still rubbish after GS, I’ll try to polish it up and release it.

With the weekly first look videos and livestream, you will never notice that we are getting closer and closer to release date.

What I am worried about is how to manage my time on Valentines Day. :)
Stay single or have a date night with Jadwiga, Wilhelmina, Eleanor, Kristina etc. or Chandragupta, Alexander, Latuaro for the other way.

My girlfriend keeps glaring at me with indignation even as I reassure her that the release date will fall on the 15th in New Zealand, and thus our Valentine's day is safe!

My wife's a Civ nut and when we were engaged and travelling by train for 12 hours... we Civ'ed away the time. She couldn't be happier the expansion is coming out Feb 14th...

I'm really surprised more CFCers haven't adopted Matthias for their avatars.
I'll be honest, I'm happy about that. I feel uncomfortable when I see him, a bit unsettled.

Top Bottom