1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

He's supposed to be the unique governor for the Inca since we already have Yzma as one (Reyna reminds me of her). :p

2. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Warlord

Haig and tedhebert like this.
  3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Jafar and Kronk fit right in the with art style of the existing governors, don't you think? :D

4. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The big Q we don't have is whether the governor will replace a current governor, or be in addition. And if it is in addition to the current ones, does that mean that civ is allowed to run 8 governors instead of 7, or will they still be capped at 7?

I would expect it would still have a full tree of benefits, but obviously they will be custom to the civ in question, and probably fairly strong. Definitely it's the one unique piece I'm most interested in.

5. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Good point. I had assumed it will be an additional governor, but it could be a more powerful version of an existing governor.

Anybody want a better Magnus?

6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Watch it be Hannibal, a replacement for Victor, for Dido of Phoenicia.
    One of his promotions lets your units move through mountains. :crazyeye:

7. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Don't they have all have a title like Reyna the Financier or Pingala the Educator tho? It could easily be, I dunno, Darius the Satrap.

8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I know: Satrap Mazaeus the Provider.

He was Satrap of Babylon for almost 20 years, ending under Darius, when he collected and equipped the massive Persian cavalry army that fought at Gaugamela, then carefully arranged to surrender Babylon to Alexander so that the city was neither pillaged nor damaged, was Reinstated as Satrap under Alexander, provided two sons who became commanders in Alexander's Companion Cavalry and Governors/Satraps under Alexander, and died in bed in his 80s - from a generation of Persian nobles of whom very few died peacefully at all.

Let's see, cheaper Units, especially mounted units, can provide Governor Bonuses to another city in addition to his own, prevents a city from being Pillaged...

And, IMHO, one of the most intriguing Unknown Historical Figures from Antiquity...

Guandao, Icicle, pokiehl and 4 others like this.
  9. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

Well, dislike the current implementation of governors, though I could get behind just one unique governor per civ. That's a whole lot of unique bonuses to come up with though, and if you have just one that doesn't provide much "what should I unlock" strategy.

This makes me a bit sad though they governors weren't historical figures that could be recruited in some style like Great People.

SelmanV likes this.
  10. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I suspect they might receive more governor titles to compensate for this

darkace77450 likes this.
  11. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I wonder if the civ that is getting the unique governor will start with a governor promotion as well, or get one earlier than others.
    I doubt that it is an additional governor, honestly. It will be a better version of an already existing one. Since none of the governors is middle eastern yet, that may point to Persia or the Ottomans. (as I see it, we have Pingala from India, Reyna of the Inca, Victor from Spain, Amani from Sudan/Horn of Africa, english Magnus, Moksha from India (again!), Liang from China).

12. Sirimiri

Sirimiri Chieftain

Because Moksha is bald, I would guess he represents a Buddhist monk. While not great considering his name, I guess this points towards SEA as a possibility?

Guandao and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I thought the same, Thailand or Laos especially because of the orange color and free shoulder. But the name...

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Moksha is a Hindu term which can apply to all the places of SEA before Buddhism came along. Keep in mind that Reyna is a Spanish name even though she doesn't look originally Spanish.

Guandao, TahamiTsunami and Siptah like this.
  15. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

If it would be a leader specific unique, then either Pargalı Ibrahim Pasha or Rüstem Pasha. But if it is a civilization tied unique it could be a family name, either Çandarlı (a family who delivered 5 grand viziers between 1364 and 1499) or Köprülü (a family who delivered 6 grand viziers between 1656 and 1711). The last name can also be remembered from Starcraft as the Köprülü sector.

But I don't consider grand viziers as governors, as such I would opt for a real governor of a vassal. Possibilities I see are Kavalalı Mehmet Ali Paşa/Muhammad Ali (the first Kedhive of Egypt and founder of the Muhammed Ali Dynasty) or a Giray, a khan of the Crimean Khanate. The last one was a title, but is also used as a name.

Another possibility is to use Hayreddin Barbarossa/Hızır Hayrettin Paşa, who captured lands around Algiers as a corsair and became Sultan of Algiers. Later he joined the Ottoman empire and became the Ottoman pasha of Algiers. Later during the reign of Suleiman he became the heighest Admiral as Kapudan-i Derya of the Ottoman Navy. He could also tied to corsair related uniques.

These are the possibilities I see if the Ottomans are in and will get the unique governor.

16. Sirimiri

Sirimiri Chieftain

If Moksha is "Hindu", he should have long hair in theory. If Moksha is not Hindu, then why use a Hindu term for the name? They could have chosen Bodhi or Arhat... While Reyna is e originally from Spanish Reina it is spelled in an Andean way which at least fits semi-historically. Moksha is not a Buddhist term, and while both religions have been practiced in some of the same areas historically, I don't think it is a good way to represent the culture, albeit very vaguely put

Guandao and Siptah like this.
  17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Well SEA still does have a population that worships Hinduism and I believe many of the monks and priests still do shave their head. I agree they could have gone for a Buddhist name, but all in all I always pictured him as Southeast Asian descent in the first place, and it never mattered to me which religion he would belong too.

18. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Dude.... Roxelana!!!!

Haig likes this.
  19. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

There are 6 civs left. And 6 UU, 2 UD, 2 UI, and 2 UB. And 1 UG. So it all looks pretty conventional with the exception of the UG.