[GS] Gathering Storm OST

cosmicmangobear

Warlord
Anyone know when the soundtrack will be released? Or am I just gonna have to wait for the game itself to come out?

If I remember correctly the R&F soundtrack released the same day as R&F. I still don't understand why we can't get an official OST for the DLC civs...

Or why the base OST only contains half of the themes, with two of the four eras for each civ, and in a seemingly-random order.
Maybe you should re-download it? At least the OST that came with the Deluxe Edition has all four eras for all the civs in the base game + Aztec. :confused:

I actually recall official soundtrack for r and f coming out a day before the game's release in YouTube to my surprise. It might be the same for gs where firaxis will release it on Wednesday.

I actually recall official soundtrack for r and f coming out a day before the game's release in YouTube to my surprise. It might be the same for gs where firaxis will release it on Wednesday.
I think you're right, but I don't think it was available for purchase until release day.

I think you're right, but I don't think it was available for purchase until release day.

My recollection is that the R&F OST was released for purchase at the same time as the game.

I cannot recall when the soundtracks are released for purchase as they may be released on game's release as Phoenix said. But at least ost can be heard on the YouTube channel a day earlier.

Maybe you should re-download it? At least the OST that came with the Deluxe Edition has all four eras for all the civs in the base game + Aztec. :confused:

I think what they mean is that the OST is incomplete. Not all songs are on it, regardless of what version you have. It's quite annoying.

I think what they mean is that the OST is incomplete. Not all songs are on it, regardless of what version you have. It's quite annoying.
It's true the ambient tracks are missing, but they specifically said half the era tracks were missing--which isn't true of the official OST.

It's true the ambient tracks are missing, but they specifically said half the era tracks were missing--which isn't true of the official OST.

@Zaarin, I think they were referring to the OST that comes separate from the game (read: the standalone one you can purchase from iTunes or Amazon). Unlike the digital copy that comes with the game and contains all era themes from each base game civ, the OST sold separate from the game contains only 2 of the 4 themes for each civ. It is annoying and seemingly complexing on why they chose to release it in this way.

That said, anyone who owns the base game for PC/Mac should be able to access the digital OST music files from their computer. I suppose the issue is more of a problem if you only own the iPad or Switch version.

@Zaarin, I think they were referring to the OST that comes separate from the game (read: the standalone one you can purchase from iTunes or Amazon). Unlike the digital copy that comes with the game and contains all era themes from each base game civ, the OST sold separate from the game contains only 2 of the 4 themes for each civ. It is annoying and seemingly complexing on why they chose to release it in this way.

Indeed, this is what I was referring to, though I was unaware that the OST that comes with the Deluxe Edition is more complete. I'd happily upgrade to the Deluxe Edition if that were an option.

I think they were referring to the OST that comes separate from the game (read: the standalone one you can purchase from iTunes or Amazon). Unlike the digital copy that comes with the game and contains all era themes from each base game civ, the OST sold separate from the game contains only 2 of the 4 themes for each civ. It is annoying and seemingly complexing on why they chose to release it in this way.
Wow, that's downright weird. Glad they didn't do that with the R&F OST. :undecide:

That said, anyone who owns the base game for PC/Mac should be able to access the digital OST music files from their computer. I suppose the issue is more of a problem if you only own the iPad or Switch version.

Okay, maybe you have a different version from the one I have, but let's simply compare. I have an OST (got it for free with the game) that has four america themes, totalling for 14m:35s. Then I took all the music files from the game folder, recoded them to ogg, and painstakingly have been dividing them into the correct groups (they are numbered only, in a random order, so you have to listen to which song is from which Civ). America is 46m52 seconds. So if you guys have the latter, you are right. If not, you are wrong.

When I first listened to the official OST (the one I have at least) I immediately noticed an ancient era song from Greece, that I love, isn't on there. Or is that what you mean by 'ambient tracks'? A song isn't ambient to me when it has only one instrument and plays a simple, slow melody. That's still a complete song. America's ancient theme with just a slow, picking banjo is still a full song someone can learn to play. It has as much right to be on a soundtrack as any other song. Mongolia's throatsinging is another example. Or Cree's chanting.

When I first listened to the official OST (the one I have at least) I immediately noticed an ancient era song from Greece, that I love, isn't on there. Or is that what you mean by 'ambient tracks'? A song isn't ambient to me when it has only one instrument and plays a simple, slow melody.
"Ambient track" as in it is an additional song that plays in the background when you play as that civ, as opposed to that civ's theme ("Hard Times" for America) that plays when you play as the civ, open the civ's diplomacy screen, or have that civ in your game. I agree these ought to be on the OST, or at the very least they ought to release an OST of the ambient tracks. Though it's really not uncommon for game soundtracks to be "curated," unfortunately.

Still not out, I wanted to listen to it today at work :(

Still not out, I wanted to listen to it today at work :(

You know what I am thinking? We may not get it until Friday, when most albums drop. Tuesdays used to be the norm, but a few years ago the industry made Fridays the day new music releases. Of course, video game OSTs may follow a whole other rubric.

I do know that RnF OST dropped same day, but I can’t recall the exact day or whether that followed normal music releases.

In any event, the sooner, the better!

Last edited:
Of course, vudeo game OSTs may follow a whole other rubric.
Usually they release with their games (ergo usually on Thursdays). I generally purchase OSTs via Steam or Bandcamp, but I can confirm that the R&F soundtrack released on iTunes the same day as R&F, a Thursday.

Peaches Lamb has uploaded all the Gathering Storm tracks on their YouTube account and you can listen to them on there including all the Ambient tracks, same as with all the previous expansions.

My question is, where are these tracks stored in the steam installation folder? I would like to listen to them including the ambient tracks without having to have to do it via YT.

Top Bottom