[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

I wonder if they misspoke then, because the future city tileset has a definite Hong Kong vibe.
Pretty sure they said they were inspired by Singapore for the future era in general, not just the tileset.

We do now: it's a globe.

Today's first look made it easy :) . Still I'd favor the suggestion on the FL topic that the image should dynamically change game to game in order to show the specific game continents distribution ;)

In Canada FirstLook video a barbarian infantry unit is destroyed by Mounties, the infantry has new colors, not sure are the helmets new as well?

Today's first look made it easy :) . Still I'd favor the suggestion on the FL topic that the image should dynamically change game to game in order to show the specific game continents distribution ;)
That might be challenging to implement in an aesthetically pleasing fashion...

That might be challenging to implement in an aesthetically pleasing fashion...

I'd argue that current pic, even being where we live, is not all that aestetically pleasing either… and I'll add that changing projection from a square grid (*) to a polar one is just a simple calculation. It does not have to be exact, as the one pictured is not exact either.

(*) just remembered we have hexes now, which might make things a bit more difficult… but just a Little - it still relatively easy to Split the map in rows-columns, that should be turned into circumferences-sectors.

It's a Musketman. All the barbarian units appear to have been recolored with more red, but otherwise the Musketman model is unchanged.

I would love for all units to be recoloured properly, tbh. I've played a fun game as Persia a few days back and all of my early-game units had red overtones (swordsmen, archers, horsemen), while my neighbour Nubia's units were navy blue in colour. :crazyeye: I know the in-game unit colour is randomized for every player, but it's a tad ridiculous to see blue units that belong to a civ whose colours are grey and chocolate. :shifty:

I would love for all units to be recoloured properly, tbh. I've played a fun game as Persia a few days back and all of my early-game units had red overtones (swordsmen, archers, horsemen), while my neighbour Nubia's units were navy blue in colour. :crazyeye: I know the in-game unit colour is randomized for every player, but it's a tad ridiculous to see blue units that belong to a civ whose colours are grey and chocolate. :shifty:

Fairly sure people spotted team colors (which basically also meant that civ colors are now included in the units)

Also just noticed that Cultural Hegemony civic has no boost, and is the only Civic other than Code of Laws and Ideology to not have a specific boost. So either it's they

A. Didn't design boosts for that civic by the time they filmed it

B. Future Civics and Techs have no Boosts (but are instead randomly generated in terms of where they place in the tech tree)

C. Cultural Hegemony is just unique like Ideology.

It's a future Civic. I don't remember the specifics entirely, but the Civics and Tech trees of the Future era are randomized at the start of the game, meaning that it's often difficult to come up with a suitable Eureka or Inspiration for them. (Also because these Civics and Techs haven't been developed yet as of right now.)

Any idea what this futuristic looking building is?

Spoiler :
SmartSelect_20181212-083302_Chrome.jpg

A glimpse at the mysterious upgrade to knight.

Speaking of Hong Kong, why are they using Japanese palace and city art in game?

I've no idea why Hong Kong has the Japanese palace. Nan Madol has the Chinese one right now.

From the helmets (and the icon), they are quite clearly Cuirassiers.

Spoiler :

Specifically, a Cuirassier of the 1st French Empire. This is very appropriate (probably more than Firaxis knew) since the French Army kept using the term 'Cuirassier' to refer to tank units right down to World War Two and after: for a unit that gets Upgraded to Tanks, this is Spot On!

If I'm not mistaken, the video confirmed the ski resort as a tile improvement placed on mountain tiles. (It doesn't have the district symbol in the Civics tree). So I'm predicting (aka praying) that Inca terrace farms will be able to be built ON mountain tiles rather than adjacent.

Toronto and Vancouver are in a midst of major condo construction booms.

Very likely would futuristic skyscrapers dominate the skylines of both cities.

Here are then-futuristic buildings in Toronto that could be considered futuristic today:

Spoiler :

Toronto City Hall

Spoiler :

Robarts Library

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom