[NFP] Gaul district placement.

Tech Osen

Emperor
So yeah, I can't play the Gaul because of that odd rule. But what I want to know: is there any sort of historical justification for this rule?

Is there any justification at all, not even historical? :D
It bugs me too, although rethinking everything about district planning is nice, I'm too much missing harbors adjacency towards city center

Is there any justification at all, not even historical? :D
It bugs me too, although rethinking everything about district planning is nice, I'm too much missing harbors adjacency towards city center

Yeah, I think it's more about a different gameplay mechanism, rather than anything necessarily historical (not that I am an expert at their history or anything). But I would agree that the harbor adjacency loss is annoying - I'd definitely like to see the restriction relaxed to instead be "land districts may not be next to the city centre", and would also definitely love to see them get a larger bonus to compensate (standard +1 adjacency per mine instead of +0.5 would be fine, given the placement problems).

If they exempted harbors from the rule I think I'd have been fine with it. I think the mine adj tradeoff was an even trade even though its sold as a bonus. Having to push other districts off the city center didn't bug me but the harbor thing is a bit of a nerf.

Reactions: PiR
Possibly some historical flavour brought about by the stereotype of Gauls disliking large urban centres

I was unaware of such stereotype.

Why are you settling cities on the coast? If you're not playing the Highlands map with Gaul you're doing it wrong.

It's a gimmick civ, like Khmer and Wetlands, Portugal and water maps, Vietnam and wet rainfall, Canada and huge/cold, etc. (not hating, these are some of my favorites to play)

Why are you settling cities on the coast? If you're not playing the Highlands map with Gaul you're doing it wrong.

It's a gimmick civ, like Khmer and Wetlands, Portugal and water maps, Vietnam and wet rainfall, Canada and huge/cold, etc. (not hating, these are some of my favorites to play)
Eh not everyone tailors the map to their civ.

Eh not everyone tailors the map to their civ.

Agreed. I always play maps with lots of sea. Continents and Islands or Small Continents, with high sea level.

Reactions: uhu
The Civilizations Expanded mod does away with the Gaulic district placement nonsense.
I'd give it a look if you haven't tried it before - it even makes Babylon not a meme.

You enjoy naval play or something?

It's mostly that I would like the amount of land vs sea to resemble earth's 30% vs 70%. It still doesn't come close enough to my liking. And yes, I like the naval play, too bad the AI is even less of a match on water compared to land.

People who act like settling on the coast is bad dont seem to get the meta of civ VI. More cities is better than fewer so if settling one city on the coast opens up more spots inland then that's the way to go.

Coastal cities aren't remotely as bad as people make them out to be. But more often than not, that's contingent on getting good harbor adjacency. Having it adj to the city center is 2g 2p once you get the shipyard. More with the right cards.

With Gaul you lose that and it turns out to be a bigger nerf than one might think in the long game.

People who act like settling on the coast is bad dont seem to get the meta of civ VI. More cities is better than fewer so if settling one city on the coast opens up more spots inland then that's the way to go.

Coastal cities aren't remotely as bad as people make them out to be. But more often than not, that's contingent on getting good harbor adjacency. Having it adj to the city center is 2g 2p once you get the shipyard. More with the right cards.

With Gaul you lose that and it turns out to be a bigger nerf than one might think in the long game.

Yeah, by far the thing that annoys me most when I play gaul is that all my harbors are worse

But that's the point isn't it? Gaul has strong bonuses already so a nerf by restricting district placement including harbors make sense to me. Furthermore, playing Gaul you want lots of mines and it is more aimed at playing hills and inland, rather than naval.

If they exempted harbors from the rule I think I'd have been fine with it. I think the mine adj tradeoff was an even trade even though its sold as a bonus. Having to push other districts off the city center didn't bug me but the harbor thing is a bit of a nerf.

I think harbors should get same benefit (bonus) from being adjacent to an encampment as it does for a city center.
That'd fix the Gaul problem (with harbors).

Reactions: PiR
Strong bonuses? The mine adj is a tradeoff at best. In most cases itd be easier to group districts like any other civ can. The culture bomb isnt a normal culture bomb in that it can't steal territory. The oppidum is just an extra defensive shot v an opponent that can't threaten a normal civ and loses the sweet spot triangle with the city center and Aqueduct. The UU is decent but the Man at Arms rush, which is gauls best strategy, kind of limits its usefulness.

Call me crazy but I'm just not seeing what justifies a nerf.

What's the bonus(s) that compensate in your mind the +2 adjacency to harbor? (true question)

Strong bonuses? The mine adj is a tradeoff at best. In most cases itd be easier to group districts like any other civ can. The culture bomb isnt a normal culture bomb in that it can't steal territory. The oppidum is just an extra defensive shot v an opponent that can't threaten a normal civ and loses the sweet spot triangle with the city center and Aqueduct. The UU is decent but the Man at Arms rush, which is gauls best strategy, kind of limits its usefulness.

Call me crazy but I'm just not seeing what justifies a nerf.
Well, my opinion is that each civ should have positives and negatives. Gaul works with mines and that goes well towards a CV (it worked well for me at least). Mines are for hills and inland and don't synergize well with naval, so I think you should avoid the coast. So harbour adjacency is not such an issue anyway.

Just my opinion, you may well disagree. But in the spirit, I find the game too easy to win as it stands, so I'm all against OP civs with only buffs and no nerfs.

Top Bottom