1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gaul First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Potworny

Potworny Warlord

Will they? That's ironic :p

Though the only thing that is missing for me in this civ is hat.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Meluhhan, conorbebe, Kjimmet and 10 others like this.
  2. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

Good remark from the game mechanic twitch stream : oddly the archer at 1:17 only gives +6culture when it should be 12 based on production cost, and it's in normal speed. Could be there have been votes for -50% production costs of military units.

Hawke9 and hhhhhh like this.
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

If it's not a dunon, it's a very strange unique, since every settled people in the world have villages. :p

nzcamel, Caprikel and Guandao like this.
  4. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

It's possible they changed the bonus between 10% and 20% between recording sections of the video, but yeah, I noticed that math didn't add up correctly.

5. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

I know they are non-coastal but I cannot stop thinking about a strategy where a city simply produces galleys with +100% policy so effectively you turn 40% of the production of that city into culture. Can be good when you need some key civic. (or produces land units with +50%, that turns 30% of the production into culture.)

6. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

To be fair, yes Oppudium was a roman usage and was meaningless. But the modern usage of Oppodium have a specific definition : "...considers as oppidum any fortified settlement from the Iron Age located in western and central Europe, without any particular area size criteria. This definition focuses above all on the functional characteristics of the oppidum, which is a position at the center of a territory bringing together economic, political and social activities, even if the presence of fortifications remains essential.".

-Dunon
    is just the Gallic termination of Oppidium cities name :

For exemple, Vellaunodunon was a Gallic oppidium (modern definition of oppidium), named later in latin as Vellaunodunum .

So Oppidium is an urbanistic identification term for Gallic fortified cities, -dunon is the gallic naming for these cities.

The naming of the civ 6 district is just bad because, the district don't look like an Oppidium, but look like the Asterix village. Firaxis just needed an "unique" name.
    It's just look like any Gallic farm. Yes, it's important, Gallic poeple had concepts of land ownership.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/53/3d/6c533d863d5b09c5ae41a354c516ec1c.jpg

7. Zaarin

Yes, scholars use oppidum to refer to what the Gauls called a dūnon based on Caesar's usage, but dūnon would still be more accurate for a Gaulish civ.

Incorrect. Dūnon was the Gaulish word for a fortified settlement, cognate to Irish dún. Since most Gaulish cities were fortified, it naturally shows up in a lot of names.

Agreed.

Jkchart, Guandao and Narcisse like this.
  8. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Under the hood what happens is every district has a list of things that can give it adjacency.
    So +1 science from mountains is an entry for the campus, so is +2 science from reefs, etc.

Then there is a table that says “if you have THIS trait, then disable THAT adjacency bonus.” A trait in this context is just a tag that says what Civ/leader you are.

So what is happening for Gaul is they get modifiers attached to their trait that add minor adjacency from mines to all districts, one for each district. Then, they have a set of entries in the second table that disables the minor adjacency from districts, for each district.

Changing anything else is extra work that you have to go out of your way to do. On the flip side, adding adjacency to the Oppidum also has to be intentionally done; unique districts don’t just inherit all the adjacency of the base district by default.

Nothing restricts you from having all the district adjacency effects be the same yield, by the way. If you wanted you could make an IZ get +1 production from quarries and +1 food from farms, or what have you.

Kmart_Elvis and 8housesofelixir like this.
  9. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

I believe it is on -50% production costs of military units. Look at 1:02, a city with 25.2 production is getting a Gaesatae in one turn, which cost more than 40 production (40 is the cost of regular warrior). Unless last turn has a huge overflow and it's on +50% policy. Its production cost is probably halved.

10. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Ok, but from the game perspective, you wouldn't like to have a condition to build the district that profits from adjacent hills on hill itself. Besides it's adjecy bonus is already restricted by nerby querrys and strategic resources, so adding hill requirement would limit its placing flexibility. Remember, gameplay over historical accuracy ;)

11. Zaarin

Seowon?

Kjimmet, Jkchart and 8housesofelixir like this.
  12. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

^ So callin' this Gaul IZ with the latin term that Romans also called their village rather than Dunon is still okay?

13. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

How do you change the leaders name, it should be Vercingetorix, or Vitalstatistix.

14. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

I think it's just the 0.5 minor adjacency per district that's removed I think, not bonuses from Government plaza or the Aqueduct bonus for IZs. That one is usually not that consequential and will be more than compensated by a minor adjacency from mines. Also, 1 culture from mines is a ridiculous amount of culture. Gaul will almost certainly have some sort of hill or mine bias.

King Rad likes this.
  15. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

But this is exactly what I have written :) Oppidum which is a Gaulish unique Industrial Zone has its own adjacencies similar way to the Mayan Observatory (that dont have any bonuses from mountains or reefs). The rest of districts are keeping their bonuses
    (apart from +1 adjacency from another district) :)

16. lotrmith

lotrmith King

Holy Power Creep, Batman!

17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I feel like Japan is already that civ but without the city center requirement. Unless they bend the rules then you couldn't build an Encampment or a Harbor unless you were on the coast.

I'm going to assume it would come at Ironworking.

18. JesseS

JesseS Warlord

Yeah I think Gaul is really a domination-focused civ. Their warrior can get +22 strength against "stronger" enemies, before accounting for regular flanking/support bonuses. Stack in oligarchy for +5 and you're at nearly musketman strength in the early classical era, which is probably enough to conquer 2-3 civs before needing to upgrade to muskets (or turn them into corps/armies for the meme of having 57/64 strength warriors). The culture bonuses help you hit the key era military civic timings earlier, culture-bombing lets you claim better tiles quicker, and the unique IZ lets you get decent production early. Only real downsides are that there are no Great Generals that work with ancient era units and your army will be pretty slow.

19. Zaarin

I still think we might see a civ that is the opposite of the Maya with a super-buffed capital and weaker supporting cities. If we do get Babylon instead of Assyria, that's what I'm expecting of Babylon TBH.

Kjimmet, Alexadamz, Hawke9 and 5 others like this.
  20. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Seowon doesn't require adajacent quarries or strategic resources to be efficient itself ;) Placing it on hill gives you flat +4 science. ;)
    I would say Ethiopian stone church is a better example here. But still I think this "must be built on hills" requirement for Opidium would limit placing flexibility to much.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020