1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gaul First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Jay247

Jay247 Chieftain

what time does this dlc come out? desperate to play em already :)

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Probably 12pm EDT Thursday.

nzcamel likes this.
  3. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Prince

Oh you're right. So I guess that, for the purpose of Gaul UA, diplomatic quarters and government plaza cannot be built adjacent to the city center. Also, I will revise mu judgment of specilists districts as: "districts limited by your population"

8housesofelixir and nzcamel like this.
  4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Haha

I'm hoping that they're able to rework maps for the next civ so that AQ (and rivers) are between hexes

MrRadar likes this.
  5. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

You can, but why would you?
    If you build units, you can have a very powerful early rush potential as you fuel Agoge and Oligarchy at the same time, giving a potential similar to Aztecs and Sumeria.
    Comparing to, say, Sumeria, you could use the war cart defensively, but again, why would you when you could use them offensively?

You can certainly turtle with Gaul (esp. with the Oppidum), but you wouldn't leverage the culture gain from unit production by a lot during the time when it's most valuable.
    And if you do leverage it by building a lot of units for defensive purposes, you essentially "wasted" a lot of production except in niche situations where you have an early massive invasion on your doorstep.

Production is also not necessarily the bottleneck regarding infrastructure, because getting the Oppidum up, while giving you production, takes away an available district slot.
    Personally I'd still get the Oppidum in most cases, but it would be with the caveat that I might have to sacrifice some early campuses, comm hubs or holy sites, or at least delay them for a while.
    Germany for instance does not have this issue, since they essentially get a "free" district slot in addition to the Hansa, allowing them to immediately plop down another district once the Hansa is finished regardless of population.

6. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

Vid said 'Specialty Districts' ... Anything that requires a city to earn some levels to build if the first one has already been built.
    Anything that can generates GPP.
    And ANYTHING that counts amongs Math boosts (Builds 3 different specialty districts).
    Aqueducts and Neighbourhoods did not counts among Specialty districts.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  7. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Huh, no Gaul theme today, it seems.

8. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

what about airports, government plaza, entertainment complex and Diplomatic Quarter?

9. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Actually Aqueducts Dams, Canals and Neighborhoods count for the two boosts(Math, Civil Engineering)...

10. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

AQ? Do you mean rivers are inside hexes?

11. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

IMHO Gaul is more like a dwarf civ by this design with tons of mines under the hills and early handicraft industries, the only thing left is Mali-style mines produce tons of golds. An emphasis on culture fits dwarves well, but much less for the Orcs.

Edit: If follows the same logic it seems Maori is kind of an elf civ with unimproved woods bonuses.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  12. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Are you the one that came up with the idea to include the "It was luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut, they couldn't hear the barbarians coming." quote in the game?

Most likely this, ie the same combat strength values used when calculating damage dealt.
    If it stacks with Tortoise, you could pretty much become immune to Archer fire (40 vs 25, -15 CS diff, E(16dmg)) and should do ok versus Crossbowmen (40 vs 40, 0 CS diff, E(30dmg)). Oligarchy increases the gap further.

Eyswein, Kupe Navigator and nzcamel like this.
  13. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

To my knowledge @Andrew Johnson [FXS] joined FXS in this January. So probably no. IIRC he did write the explanatory notes of Eurekas and Inspirations.

14. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Since dwarves, like elves, are part of an imaginary world that paralleled pre-war Europe, including Germany and France, I suppose there is a kind of circular logic at work here.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  15. anonxanemone

anonxanemone Chieftain

The developer livestream confirmed that it is possible to settle next to districts as Ambiorix. The Settler Lense showed the 4th tile was NOT red even if the adjacent tile was a district. (Whew... my boot is safe.)

Kjimmet, nzcamel, Datgingah and 2 others like this.
  16. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

The oppidum unlocks at iron working according to the dev livestream and loses all adjacency bonus EXCEPT the Gallic mines bonus; the quarry bonus; the strategic resource bonus; and +1 from the govt plaza.
    No green districts. Really makes it terrain dependent.

Datgingah likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's not like you need one in every city though.

18. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

Gaul looks really, really good imo. I can't wait to play it.

19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Actually, wait about 11 hours and 45 minutes . . .

nzcamel likes this.
  20. Datian

Datian Warlord

That's quite a blow. Specialty districts are meant to be among the best, but oppidums will more often than not stay at 4-6 production.
    Yes they come slightly earlier, yes they're half priced, yes they can fire... but I can't help to think that a production specialty district should produce a lot.