1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gaul First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 22, 2020.

1. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

All I can say is after having tried a couple of starts with Gauls: Do not try to rush your neighbor using the Gaesetae. I repeat: DO NOT try to rush your neighbor using the Gaesetae. They will die just an archer looks at them. It's borderline ridiculous, you pump a lot of resources into them, and two archers will leave them completely helpless. From what I can say, anybody who thought this was going to be a good civ for early domination was thoroughly mistaken.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  2. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Warlord

It's definitely something we try to do, at least now. In VI there's a real effort to reach out to historians, linguists, etc. - people who would know. At times, even, this can be disconcerting - Elizabeth I in a real Elizabethan accent isn't going to sound a lot like Cate Blanchett, which might thwart peoples' expectations. At times, too, we have to deal with what we've been given - we're not experts on everything. Finally, there are other considerations: sometimes the guy with the French accent also has a really great laugh.

3. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

It's a bad fit but it's worth it if you get an early natural wonder since it will likely feed a settler or two during monumentality. Most of the pantheons aren't that good for Gaul to be honest. I did forget to mention God of the Forge, which is really good for the early Archer rush. But you're correct, Earth Goddess is not a particularly good choice for Gaul.

Gaesetae rush is pretty bad but you can definitely rush with Archers + a few blocker units. +8-12 strength archers murder everything.

8housesofelixir, Kyuss and Uberfrog like this.
  4. Kyuss

Kyuss Chieftain

I think the key is surround the Gaesetae with many military units as possible, ideally archers. I have conquered all my giant continent with 5 Gaesetae AND support units (my two scouts were incredible useful to cut supply lines and siege the city).

This game with Gaul is one of my best plays, about 1570BC I had 11 cities with a decent culture output thanks to mines. I think Gaul is a little overpowered IMO.

Siddharth Venkatesh likes this.
  5. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

That's because Gauls are designed to be a defensive civ againt stronger opponents, not an offensive civ for early rushes.

6. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

You should not rush with them too early. You need to have lots of units to make Gaul work. First you should have good production so build couple of builders and get those mines going, couple cities, maybe oppidum or two. Then spam a lot of Gaesatae and archers, if you have iron you should add some swordsmen to your horde, spearmen too if enemy has cavalry units. Also dont forget to get military traditon for flanking and support bonuses. Although Gaesatae only have 20 base strength you can get them to 40-50 strength in most situations. With Gauls its best to attack with a carpet of doom and try to keep the pressure on and overwhelm your opponent.

At least on Emperor I had very easy time conquering my neighbor (Arabs). It was so easy that I dont see why It wouldnt work even on harder difficulty.

The key to success is not the Gaesatae unit as such. Its the extra combat strength you can get from "King of the Eburones" + flanking and support bonuses. It can get pretty ridiculous.

Meluhhan likes this.
  7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

My first starting position, life is cruel, looking forward to the game despite few hills in sight
    upload_2020-9-25_14-28-28.png

8housesofelixir and topsecret like this.
  8. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

That is my impression as well.
    Tried yesterday in multiplayer where a mate was Gaul, and he struggled a lot early on with Gaesatae, but it picked up good once he had a horde down (especially with archer backup).

That said though, I thought the Gaesatae didn't upgrade into Swordsmen?

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You should be able to find a nice spot amongst those thermal vents for a good campus though. So not all hope is lost. Pray for iron, niter, coal, and uranium.

10. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Warlord

They don't. You can still make swordsmen, though!

11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm playing a mostly peaceful game. I had a Russian threat from the South, but the Gaesatae presented their superior facial hair and they retreated in shame.

12. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Played through my first Gaul game yesterday. I really enjoyed it but it was like playing on easy mode. The Gaulish Death ball of archers and Gaesetae feels like a rugby scrum slowly pushing its way inorexably towards an opponent's capitol.

I found that since you are less reliably able to maximize your adjacencies for speciality districts, that I had far more specialized cities with 2ish solid adjacency districts in each. Conquering Macchu Picchu was a big deal. Those mountain adjacencies really helped me get more decent districts. Next time I should know better how to plan...

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  13. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Settle on the Gypsum. Desert tile can be used for an aqueduct and you have plenty of space for districts. Early georthermal vents provide a nice early trickle of science.

14. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I built MP, because I had so much production, why not? It's a magnificent wonder for Gaul.

8housesofelixir and Leucarum like this.
  15. topsecret

topsecret Believer

And that's a volcano, which = mines!

16. Leucarum

Leucarum King

That and the Mausoleum - though the latter requires a district you'll probably only ever build one of.

17. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Well, as a language nerd myself, I can say that the extra effort you guys have made in Civ6 both to make the voice acting more lively and the language more accurate is appreciated (even if I nitpick sometimes). :D (Though when Lizzy does return, I do really hope she gets a proper Elizabethan accent and quotes voluminously from her own speeches and poetry--and if she quotes some Shakespeare, Ben Jonson, and Edmund Spenser, I won't object...)

18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Dost thou desire a trade agreement with England?

19. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

*You. It would be the height of impertinence to address another leader as "thou"--even too impertinent for Elizabeth I. :p Unless it's her brother-in-law; I imagine she addressed Philip II as "thou," especially when sending her condolences for his missing armada. :mischief:

20. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

You lose an incredible campus though by settling the Gypsum. It's also off freshwater.

Ondolindë likes this.