1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gaul First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 22, 2020.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

"will you undermine your opponents"

I see what you did there FXS

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

One of the funny things about Gaul is what you don't really need cities on the coast.

3. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

Couldn't resist sorry.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They will probably have 1 harbor, where it can be adjacent to several sea resources or mines.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Indeed they do.

Meluhhan, TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  6. Cpt Chaos

Cpt Chaos Chieftain

As others have alluded to, this definitely seems to discourage coastal cities quite strongly (it will be extremely difficult to get even a +3 harbour unless a particular bit of coastline is full of resources and / or hills). The advantage would be no penalty for settling inland, meaning more land tiles to work (and fewer garbage ocean tiles).

They are also going to vie for the title of best early game war civ. Rough Rider Teddy gets the +5 bonus to all units - seems like Gaul should be able to exceed this with half decent planning, and then there's the +5 to city centres on top of that. Archers could easily end up stronger than Nubian Pitati archers (though with only 2 movement, and more expensive to produce). Eagle Warriors* and War Carts are overrated as it is so no contest there IMO.
    *in a purely offensive sense - free builders are still great.

7. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Definitely going to be my go-to civ for a while. Looking forward to surrounding an archer with 5 scouts and one what's his name warrior and going to town with that bunch, singing "Open the Door, Richard!"

MrRadar likes this.
  8. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

you know how Mansa Musa's agenda is called "lord of mines?"
    well move out Mansa Musa! We have new Lord of Mines here!

9. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

The markings look more grey than blue to me, which feels more appropriate given the setting

10. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

The only thing that actually increases Gauls production is specifically having quarries and strategic resources around. Unlocking apprenticeship early (presumably at ironworking) only grants a small window of extra mine power. The problem with relying on quarries and strategics is that it is quite fickle; it is far more powerful to build green districts and CHs to get huge Hansa adjacencies on command. In identical starts, Germany or any Civ could put mines on all the hills too. The culture bonus from mines is certainly nice but isn’t really production per se.

I don’t think people are saying Gaul is an OP Civ concept, boo to power creep, etc.
    We are looking at a Civ built around some cool mine and district rules, which seems pretty solid, and then noticing that bolted onto that is an extremely strong combat bonus that doesn’t really enhance the core identity of the Civ but is actually one of the strongest abilities out there.

Myomoto, nzcamel, Jkchart and 8 others like this.
  11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm a bit concerned that with all the hills and mining, Gaul is going to have issues with having enough population to support the districts that they will want to build.

conorbebe, Jkchart, Meluhhan and 8 others like this.
  12. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Regarding the UD... it STILL gets the +0.5 adjacency from mines right? As part of the civ UA... OR is it +0.5 further on top of the default +0.5 for IZs to begin with?

I'm thinking of +18 Oppidums (+3 mines default bonus, +3 mines civ UA, +12 from 6x2) surrounded by 6 strategic resource mines...

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

does that really happen though?

Meluhhan likes this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Cahokia will be their best friend, if they can get a little flat land.

15. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis King

NFP keeps hitting them out of the park. Ethiopia and Byzantium both wowed me and Gaul is no exception. What I love about the civ design is that everything is relevant. Culture from producing units and building mines is something you can use, and take advantage of in every game you play. Bonuses to production are always welcome as well. And they are a generalist civ that isn't pigeonholed to any particular victory or terrain type (ok maybe they want a lot of hills, but that's not really a problem).

Strong early game with lots of culture and production and great defense. It will be hard to go wrong with these guys.

16. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

For how these things usually work, the Civ bonus with mine adjacency will not “double up” for the IZ.
    However, even at +1 from mines, that would be like the old IZ rules- and they were considered quite weak back then.

acluewithout likes this.
  17. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I would like to comment on this civ's abilities, but ... that torso ... :faint:

Ondolindë, Haig and bite like this.
  18. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

Gaul will hope that Cleopatra is in the game, for some added food. And granaries will be a big priority. If you can afford to build them instead of builders and units.

19. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

The unique IZ will be fun, but won’t set the world on fire. Overall, their Districts,will be a bit sucky. Like Reverse Hojo.

But those. Mmm-hmm. Yes siree. It’s not even the production. It’s the culture that will rock.

20. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

It will be nice to be able to unlock Apprenticeship consistently in tech shuffle mode. Deeply hidden apprenticeship is such a massive pain.

This seems like a fun and strong civ to play. Lots of early culture will lead into easy science or domination games. Very powerful stacking strength bonus should allow a nice swordsmen push, but the fact it doesn't apply to cavalry units means it's a bit limited. Warring with other units is so slow.

I think you'll want to settle next to a bunch of mines in the first ring. Place mines in the first ring, culture bomb the second ring tiles and then place districts in the second.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.