1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Gauntlet Suggestions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, May 14, 2017.

1. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Post them in here.

Here are the main things we are looking for in gauntlets.

• Unusual/interesting game setup
    • Maximum participation
    • Atrractive to non-HOF players

If you have an idea that fits in with the above, let us know. Give us as many details as you can about the game setup.

If someone suggests an idea that you like, also let us know in this thread.

Just remember that posting about an idea in here doesn't mean that we will use it in exactly the form you have proposed (or even at all). :D

2. trendy

trendy Chieftain

Tomyris, Domination, King, 6 armed snowflake, Small

Personally, I'd love to play a huge map, any VC, deity, but that's not going to draw lots of people.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Is it possible that both we as all AI get the same VC ?

I think that is easier for starters.
    Say you play religious, you are not that fast and an AI scores Science

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

I would like to see some limitations/handicaps against wide play - maybe a 5 city challenge. Or a no conquering allowed and domination disabled gauntlet. I think it's pretty easy to exploit the AI deficiencies in combat to get early religious and cultural victories so I think some limitations there would make for more interesting games. Most of the earliest times seem to basically come down to domination anyway.

5. Sumorex

Sumorex Chieftain

I really enjoyed the last gauntlet with Saladin despite my usual aversion to the pangea setting. So really any settings work for me apparently! But you want suggestions so here ya go:

If you follow the pattern of repeating victory conditions then a continental space race game with Victoria is interesting to me.
    I love island maps.... John Curtain as a religious zealot or cultural superstar
    City state challenge.... Germany + maximum number of city state + pangea

6. Ozbenno

Thanks for the feedback.

They are good examples of what (in IV and V HOF) are G-Minor and G-Major gauntlets. Look at this as an example.

Unfortunately everyone (AI included) has to have all victory conditions enabled.

Unfortunately we can't put these limitations on gauntlets

You picked the pattern :lol:

John Curtin (I am Australian so will pick up on this ;)) and other DLC is hard, as not everyone has them and we don't want to limit (too much) participation but will use them from time to time.

7. Rakish

Rakish Chieftain

Well I'd be interested if you guys could engineer a game to be more conducive to peaceful builder play. If setting house rules like no warring/ only certain Casus belli allowed/ finish with so many positive relationships etc is off limits (fair enough). Maybe a settings like large/huge map with Tiny/small number of civs, 0 CS with a infrastructure focused Civ e.g Germany, Australia, Kongo, Rome, Egypt, Japan. Science or Culture Victory.

If that's a bit much to ask well a Kongo,England or Persian Science victory could be interesting with their affinity for gold or an Aztec Science victory so we can see some really impressive times.

8. Sumorex

Sumorex Chieftain

Asking for peaceful builder play made me realize I haven't played a game out to a score victory (not that warring wouldn't be integral to a good score). I used to enjoy playing Civ IV games out to the very end, but Civ VI is a different animal because of how culture works. It isn't as simple as keeping one civ alive with one horrible city. Though I realize it would limit participation, a Score victory might be a fun G-Major idea.

9. Ozbenno

It is hard to generate a "peaceful builder" game as the idea behind gauntlets are to get the fastest finishing time and unfortunately warring is pretty much required to do this. You can always play the gauntlets to your style and be a peaceful builder (which is usually what I do when I play) but it is unlikely to be among the fastest (which I am not). The settings can (somewhat) negate this so we'll see what we can do...

10. trendy

trendy Chieftain

You could try running TSL earth map, and specify the civs so that you are heavily isolated (like have your civ in the americas/australia while everyone else is in europe). That should make a peaceful builder-type game not so bad, maybe even optimal.

11. Ozbenno

Problem with an earth map is that you know the shape of the map. Its why we don't allow multiple attempts using the same map, as knowledge of the map is very useful in planning your expansion etc.

A suggestion for those who want to play a peaceful game, you could start a Succession Game (or single player similar) in the Stories and Let's Play forum and you can make the game have whatever restrictions you want. This was very popular for Civ IV back in the day, particularly to make your own restrictions about war etc, and was a very good way to improve gameplay. For whatever reason it never took off for V and that has carried on to VI.