Gave up on C4; returning to C3

Having played Civ3Complete on my Mac Ibook, and Civ4 on my son's Dell laptop (it runs, but slow), I have decided that I prefer Civ3. First, it does run on my Ibook, and it will likely be several years before I have a Mac that will run the Mac version of Civ4. Firaxis and Aspyr, take note. Civ4 requires either a massive upgrade or a new computer. Second, I like the editors for Civ3C that I can use on my son's laptop to tinker with the game, since I am both a military historian and a weapons expert. Third, the Civ4 screen is so cluttered with information that I keep losing track of where units are verses where I want them to be. Yes, some of the graphics are great, but the game itself feels "clunky". Also, you have these terrific graphics, but ancient Greek and Roman galleys did not look like Viking Ships. And using Stealth bombers in the WW2 North African scenario just does not cut it at alll. Ditto with the tanks used in the scenario. I would have taken more accuracy and less 3D graphics.

Now, if I could just get a good Civ3C conquests editor for my Macs, I would be in Civ3Complete gamers heaven.

Padma said:
Face it: People in the Civ2 forums like Civ2 better; people in the Civ3 forums like Civ3 better, and people in the Civ4 forums like Civ4 better! How odd is that? :crazyeye:
I beg to disagree. :)
I do like CIV a lot better than C3C...and you know what that means.
However, I rarely visit the CIV fora, because:
1) CIV and SGs doesn't work.
2) While my machine can run CIV without problems - I simply cannot patch. And I *know* I cannot install Warlords, as well. Thus I wouldn't even know wghat to discuss on the CIV strategy forum.
3) The discussion on the Civ3 fora is way more mature. Several of the CIV fora are not much more than an annoying display of leetspeak, bragging and lack of basic history knowledge.

So, despite me clearly prefering CIV (if it would only run properly on my machine...) and being totally done with Civ1-3, I prefer this subforum by a wide margin.

I got Civ4 back in March, and loved it (it was my first Civ game, in fact, the only other game I have is Pirates!). I couldn't wait when I heard about the expansion pack.

Then my wife and kids got C3C for me for Father's Day since I was becoming a Civaholic!! And I haven't played Civ 4 since!!

The first thing that stood out to me was the smoothness in the way the game played. I like some of the new things added in 4 (government civics/ religions, etc), but i could do without the 3D graphics. Our computer should run Civ4 fine, but the slow-down in mid to late game really took away from the Civ experience.

Eventually, i may get the Warlords expansion pack, but not for quite awhile, cause I'm hooked in C3C

Iron Jack Flint said:
I got Civ4 back in March, and loved it (it was my first Civ game, in fact, the only other game I have is Pirates!). I couldn't wait when I heard about the expansion pack.

Then my wife and kids got C3C for me for Father's Day since I was becoming a Civaholic!! And I haven't played Civ 4 since!!

The first thing that stood out to me was the smoothness in the way the game played. I like some of the new things added in 4 (government civics/ religions, etc), but i could do without the 3D graphics. Our computer should run Civ4 fine, but the slow-down in mid to late game really took away from the Civ experience.

Eventually, i may get the Warlords expansion pack, but not for quite awhile, cause I'm hooked in C3C
:goodjob: that's great! :goodjob:

and an 'un-tarnished' opinion, too! :thumbsup:

Lev Bronstein said:
Gave up on C4 a month ago*.

While shopping in Wmt, I saw C3 for $10-& couldn't resist.

*Left some reasons for my flip/flop in C4 section.

I found out C3 even contains the 1.29 patch.

I don't love C3-either, but it's playable & clearly superior to C4 (says I).

Chessmaster 9,000, AOE1, & C3 (all $10), are the only games on my computer.

Having some fun as the Hellenes.:king:

Almost a carbon copy of my own story, I keep trying civ IV now and again in case I missed something yet to find it if I have, the mod and scenarios around for Civ III is incredible.

I bought CivIV when it first came out and played it a little while. Granted, it does have potential, but I feel that it won't be achieved for maybe sometime. I do agree with the consensus of this thread and the reasons to dislike CivIV. The graphics are appalling, although my son, who is under three, likes them, he laughs at them when the units move. Also, I find it hard to look at the screen in CivIV, too busy. Also, regarding the graphics, why did Firaxis think it's so great to have smoke coming from a village, or a waterwheel turning at a mill, or any animated structures ? Big whoopie doo !

I'm a warmonger, and I feel CivIV has degraded the military aspect of the game. Although, I like the unit bonus idea, but it needs tweaking.
Thankfully, Dale's combat mod looks to remedy some of CivIV's combat woes.

CivIV is an attempt to drag in new gamers from other markets, while somewhat neglecting their Civ3 fanbase.

I feel what would push C3C over the top, is if they (Firaxis or whoever) put out an expansion with a more powerful, flexible editor. Of course all that is discussed in another thread.

vingrjoe said:
I bought CivIV when it first came out and played it a little while. Granted, it does have potential, but I feel that it won't be achieved for maybe sometime. I do agree with the consensus of this thread and the reasons to dislike CivIV. The graphics are appalling, although my son, who is under three, likes them, he laughs at them when the units move. Also, I find it hard to look at the screen in CivIV, too busy. Also, regarding the graphics, why did Firaxis think it's so great to have smoke coming from a village, or a waterwheel turning at a mill, or any animated structures ? Big whoopie doo !

I'm a warmonger, and I feel CivIV has degraded the military aspect of the game. Although, I like the unit bonus idea, but it needs tweaking.
Thankfully, Dale's combat mod looks to remedy some of CivIV's combat woes.

CivIV is an attempt to drag in new gamers from other markets, while somewhat neglecting their Civ3 fanbase.

I feel what would push C3C over the top, is if they (Firaxis or whoever) put out an expansion with a more powerful, flexible editor. Of course all that is discussed in another thread.
You echo some of my sentiments exactly.Like I already mentoned here, they went after a new breed. That of the new console player.

You can guess why. Its the direction their heading in Take Two's(parent company) big money games strategy, merging the CIv series into somewhat console- somewhat PC( internet, keyboard/mouse adabtable etc) Franchise. Well have to see but I think the next gen of consoles will be there.. Thanks for sharing the a older/wiser, opinion.( not saying havin a two years old makes you ancient though :) ) you could be 17!

I've finally upgraded my laptop to run C4 smoothly. Tried a few games, and while fun in their own right, C3C keeps coming into mind. There's a feeling of something important lacking amidst all that stuff that is C4, though can't really put my finger on it. I don't mind the graphics though, it's something else.

Sashie VII said:
I've finally upgraded my laptop to run C4 smoothly. Tried a few games, and while fun in their own right, C3C keeps coming into mind. There's a feeling of something important lacking amidst all that stuff that is C4, though can't really put my finger on it. I don't mind the graphics though, it's something else.

I agree I would say its lacks character, in civ IV I would just play it turn after turn, not overly bothered about what was going on as I felt I had little effect on things, they would happen anyway. For me I feel part of the Civ III world and therefore an interest on what happens in it.

Sashie VII said:

Freedom! In Civ 3 I have the whole world in my computer and if I think, I need this or that building for my next game, I can do this mostly without problems. With Civ 4 this is impossible for me.

When Firaxis introduced Civ 4, they said, modding Civ 4 would be different to modding Civ 3. It´s much more team-work.

And now I provoke a little bit ;), please don´t misunderstand this :

Civ4 is something like a "Commie"-game concerning modding. A great utopia (with Civ 4 you can mod everything) and a very poor result for most of the people (with Civ 4 most "men from the street" can mod nothing themselves, that leads to satisfying results).

On the other side, modding Civ 3 represents the free world. Of course here are also a lot of limits, especially by the editor and there is a reason, why so many people hope, that this editor can be improved. But the restrictions for me, to give me a "free world" in Civ 4 are much, much bigger.

And something else could be this:

In Germany many years ago, a new baking-powder was invented. It must only be shooted in a form and -bang - you got a nice cake. The product didn´t sell well. The manager wondered why. Than they made the same baking-powder, but now people had to whirl in that form to get a good cake. It got a bestseller.

To streamline things in gameplay could be good. But you should carefully consider what to streamline away. The worst decision about "streamlining a game too much" in my eyes was MOO 3. There they did streamline away the player.;)

Civinator said:
Freedom! In Civ 3 I have the whole world in my computer and if I think, I need this or that building for my next game, I can do this mostly without problems. With Civ 4 this is impossible for me.

When Firaxis introduced Civ 4, they said, modding Civ 4 would be different to modding Civ 3. It´s much more team-work.

And now I provoke a little bit ;), please don´t misunderstand this :

Civ4 is something like a "Commie"-game concerning modding. A great utopia (with Civ 4 you can mod everything) and a very poor result for most of the people (with Civ 4 most "men from the street" can mod nothing themselves, that leads to satisfying results).

On the other side, modding Civ 3 represents the free world. Of course here are also a lot of limits, especially by the editor and there is a reason, why so many people hope, that this editor can be improved. But the restrictions for me, to give me a "free world" in Civ 4 are much, much bigger.

And something else could be this:

In Germany many years ago, a new baking-powder was invented. It must only be shooted in a form and -bang - you got a nice cake. The product didn´t sell well. The manager wondered why. Than they made the same baking-powder, but now people had to whirl in that form to get a good cake. It got a bestseller.

To streamline things in gameplay could be good. But you should carefully consider what to streamline away. The worst decision about "streamlining a game too much" in my eyes was MOO 3. There they did streamline away the player.;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

you compared civ4 to communism! :yeah: if that's the case then i dislike it even more now! :goodjob:

I don't think we shall ever see a perfect civ game, it will always lack in areas(and I think if they would fix everything perfectly, why would the buyer keep buying? They could keep doing things with the scenarios in the net, never paying the companies a dime). Having said that and played both civ3 and Civ4, I think civ 3 still wins, since the sum of the negative/positive things about it, is higher than Civ4.

And I will disagree with those saying that civ3 was pretty much crap when it came out and it improved later, so Civ 4 will follow the path. Not true, Civ 3 did improve, but it was an amazing game from the start. Civ 4 is a good game, above average(no civ game could be average or less with Syd onboard), but it's less than civ 3. I believe that's why they're giving the player the ability to mod everything, in the long run, Civilization games are about historical accuracy, and with such potential, this will be its strong point. If Civ 3 loses from civ 4(and not Civ 5 which might benefit from CIV drawbacks) it will be for that aspect alone IMO.

Eventually more people will learn how to mod it properly. Civ's power lies in the mods mostly, not the core game.

I like CivIII more. I dunno why, but it more feels like chess to me then IV. The whole 3d-thing is just enoying.. So CivIII ftw!

Cant find any store with c3c :/ I really whanna try it..

Top Bottom