1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gay Marriage Wonder

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Aethelend, May 19, 2009.

1. Aethelend

Aethelend Warlord

I know, I know.

With all the buildings I've been asking for lately, I may as well learn to make them myself. Well, I've been trying to postpone the effort for that as long as possible. Besides, there's always the off-chance that there's a big gaggle of you building makers milling around with nothing to do. :)

So we all like contraversial wonders. Admit it: you have the Holy Inquisition and at least one Nazi wonder in your mod. So what about the other end of the spectrum?

Gay marriage. I invision it having the exact same effect as Universal Sufferage (for some reason) and be available with some kind of modern-age civil justice tech.

Preferrably, I think the graphic for it should be the almighty Flag o' Gay...

...mounted on one of those statue pedistal thingies.

If someone could do that, it would be super fabulous!!! :mischief:

*Ahem* I mean... uh... it would be pretty cool. Yeah.

2. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

I might give it a try...
    Do you want it with splash or without?

So I gave it a few minutes and the wip preview is attached:
    I will decrese the diameter of the flag pole by one pixel and add the missing shadow...
    For potential wondersplash I found something interesting:
    Spoiler :

only one problem.. it's too small (600x450) :( (the original filename says 600x600 so there might be an original 600x600 version somewhere out in the web...)

Attached Files:

3. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

that reminds me

4. Aethelend

Aethelend Warlord

Hey, that looks pretty good. I like it.

And I like that splash, too. But even if we can't work with it, then I'm sure another one wouldn't be too hard to find. Two guys in tuxedos would probably do for it. Which would also be kinda funny if we just use two random guys in tuxedos who aren't even gay.

5. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

I had just very little time the last few days so everything needed a bit longer than expected
    Somehow I messed up sizes for the splashs and thought I would need 600x600... using the real size 320x320 makes things a lot easier:crazyeye:
    So here is the current WIP:
    I added the shadow of the flag pole and the flag (not sure if I should extend the last one even more)
    I extended the constitution by stretching the upper part and paste and copying in the lower part.
    Also the idea of the tuxedos was nice (I won't use any pictures of real life persons) so I found a wedding card on which I based the alternative splash.....

Attached Files:

6. Aethelend

Aethelend Warlord

Wow, that's a beautiful fag... er, I mean flag.

The tuxedos are quaint, but I think I like the constitution much better as a splash. It conveys a more meaningful message.

OT: With Proposition 8 in California recently upheld by the supreme court, I feel that this wonder is now all the more relevant.

Could you post the files?

7. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

My two cents: The Constitution has nothing to do with gay marriage - there's no word in the Constitution of the United States of America that defines marriage. That has been, is, and (hopefully) will be a state's issue. Do NOT use the Constitution splash! The flag picture is a much more appropriate splash.

8. sum_aar_jam

sum_aar_jam Warlord

I agree with TopGun, Marriage according to the Constitution is a Right afforded to the States according to the Tenth Amendment in the Bill of Rights

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

I also agree with TopGun about using the Rainbow Flag. Its more apporpriate and Politically Correct.

9. Lord Gay

Lord Gay Emperor

I'll throw in my thoughts.

Gay marriage is a legal issue, as opposed to a military issue, housing issue, environmental issue, etc. As such, it seems appropriate to use a legal image. What else could you use to suggest a legal accomplisment? Would people recognize a govt building? Which one would you use? Would they recognize a state Con, or some other legal document? Would non-Americans recognize these symbols?

The two tuxedoes are nice since they don't show race, but they do indicate male, excluding lesbians. The Con is an easily recognizable legal document, something I think even foreigners might recognize, and the two male and two female signs on top show what the message is. A good pic should be able to convey a message without words, and I think the Con image does that better than the tuxedo one.

As an aside, perhaps it should be a gay rights wonder, instead of just a gay marriage one? That's broader, and IMO would fit better with the Con image.

10. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

@ Lord Gay: Clearly you did not get the point of my objection. It is simply factually and legally wrong to use the Constitution of the United States in a splash regarding gay rights, because that document does not define "gay rights", nor does it define "marriage".

We must not (ab)use it in this way.

11. Lord Gay

Lord Gay Emperor

No, I understood your objection. I didn't want to turn this into a gay marriage debate though, which is why I'm not going into what connection gay rights and the Con may or may not have. I was trying to discuss what an appropriate image would be from an artistic sense.

If we agree that gay marriage is a legal issue, do you agree that a legal image of some kind would be most appropriate? What sort of image could be used that immediately makes the viewer think "laws" and "gays"? For me, the image above does that, as the Con and the same sex symbols makes me think of laws and gays. But perhaps you think the image should say something else?

Since you don't like it, what do you think would be a good image? My understanding is that the flag statue is what appears in the city view, it's not a splash, leaving only the Con or the tuxedoes for potential splashes. What do you think is a good splash?

12. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

the flag Aethelend put in the opening post is a good splash. Overlay that with semi-transparent "legal paragraph" characters and you got yourself what you want.

13. Lord Gay

Lord Gay Emperor

Not as clear perhaps, but I suppose that works. :)

14. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

I think Top Gun's proposal is very reasonable... So i am currently working on the "paragraph flag"
    creative input is always wellcome, as my knowledge about the topic (laws about homosexual marriage in the US...) tends to zero....

edit:
    I twistet the flag jpg and extended the missing sky so it will fit for the 320x320 splash...
    I tried using a transparent paragraph icon but I am not really happy about it. (the non transparent version looks even worse)
    Also adding weddingrings instead of the icon did not work out the way I would like to have it.....

Attached Files:

15. 19Delta

19Delta Cavalry Scout

For the splash, why don't you use a cake with two grooms together and two brides together? I think that everyone would understand what an image such as that would represent.

16. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

Finding good pictures of a cake with the small figures (broom+bride) was bit difficult as there is a lot of crap out there...
    So my solution is something different now: using two wedding rings and colouring them in the gay flag style with some paragraphsymbols as background. (I first tried to use a sky but the pallete caused too many shading problems)

Attached Files:

17. da3dalus

da3dalus Warlord

As a non-American I would object to using the Constitution of the United States for different reasons. My country legalized gay marriage a few years ago, among many others around the world, and in all these cases the US Constitution had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Perhaps you could just use a generic looking scroll/manuscript to indicate legislation? Or even a judges gavel?

I like TopGun's idea about naming it Gay Rights instead of Gay Marriage, because Gay Marriage is really just a subset of the overall movement for full civil rights for homosexuals.

Interesting idea for a wonder, I like it! It's kind of like a cumulation of all of the progress made by a civ from stone age times to modern times, a completion of your civ's enlightenment. :D

@Samez: I like the multi-coloured rings dude, very nice touch!

18. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

I like the last posted graphic of the rainbow rings with the paragraph notepads the the best, as it gives it a general spin usable for all nations and still making it apparent what it's about...although it might be hard to tell what it is when it's the smaller variation of the graphic in the tech-tree for instance...but what the hey, that's what the titles for right? :goodjob:

19. Lord Gay

Lord Gay Emperor