1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gay Marriage - Yay!, or NEIGH?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dr Jimbo, May 17, 2004.

?

What do you think of the legalisation of gay marriage?

1. About bloody time - I'm off to Boston!

35 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. I agree in principle.

69 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. I'm pretty indifferent.

28 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. It's the begining of the end for civilisation...

37 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. When will it be legal to marry radioactive monkeys?

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Welcome to the New World Order! :goodjob:

2. Ossric

Ossric Hedonistic Ruler

like Liz Taylor being remarried 5 times (or is it more). Wow, what a commitment, i have a longer "relationship" with my car!

3. EzInKy

EzInKy Excentric

What you and your car do in private is between you and your car, and I'll even stand up as the best man at your wedding when you marry your car. Until rust do you part and all that!

BTW, can I take it from your post that we are agreed that gay weddings will not hurt the institution of marragie in any way?

4. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Are they? If so, I've missed when it was allowed, and www.ne.se is out of date.

5. CurtSibling

Only when his fanclub says so, it seems!

6. Håkan Eriksson

Håkan Eriksson Commander of the Swedes.

Your lack of knowledge is astonishing!

Riksdagen (the parliament) voted on the issue in June 2002.

The law came into use the 1 February 2003.

The first adoption were decided by the social welfare board in Umeå oktober 2003. Allowing a woman to addopt her partners biological child as her own. (as a curiosity you can add that the board were unanimous for the adoption, althu the Christian Democrat woman made a speciall statment against homosexualls beeing allowed to adopt.... I still have an article about it put up on a wall in my room).

7. Grav

Grav Chieftain

Gay marriage wont ruin the institution, hetero marriage already has. What's the divorce rate at now? 50... 60%? Hypocrates.

8. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

The point is that you are putting a societal stamp of approval on practices that are wrong and will further the breakdown of our society. BTW, I'm not comparing homosexuals to the likes of incest and such. However, by turning marriage into a "civil-rights" issue, which it is not, it allows any others who wish to marry, in other untraditional manners, to declare that their rights are being violated. This world is just becoming completely silly and twisted, in my opinion. Why do I believe this kind of thing is wrong? Simple. If everyone was homosexual, then the human race would die. That is why it is wrong to be homosexual. Therefor, I do not believe society should stamp an approval by allowing homosexual marriage. In any case, its not the people who approved this, but several judges.

9. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

I wonder how many people would suddenly turn homosexual and break up marriages because some homosexual couple in MA got married.

Besides, historically, a lot of marriages were arranged.....so traditionally, we should go back to that.

I don't favor or disfavor homosexual marriage because it doesn't affect me....I'm not homosexual. I think the couples should at least get the rights and laws associated with heterosexual couples that are committed to each other. So whatever it's called, marriage, civil union, coupled bliss, whatever....at least give them the visitation rights and inheritance and so forth that hetero couples enjoy.

10. CurtSibling

John;
    Your religion is not the hallmark that judges humanity.

I am not concerned about homosexuals, and I do not even approve of marriages.

But anything that damages religionism's position is welcome.

11. The Yankee

And the judges serve the people. Besides, not the entire human species would turn homosexual because of marriage, so there's no need to worry about lack of reproduction. It sounds like "Oh God! If Bob and Rob get married.....EVERYONE will turn GAY! AAAHHH!!!" That simply won't be the case. I know I won't turn gay because some people got married in Boston yesterday. Throwing out these arguments does nothing to support your cause.

12. Immortal

Immortal Chieftain

What fallacious logic! Not everyone is homosexual, and since there are straight people in the world, the human race will not die.

13. Grav

Grav Chieftain

Well your argument breaks down at the point when you said the human race would die. The point is, NOT EVERYONE IS GAY. If all it took was a simple law to convince THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF EARTH to turn gay, then damn, we're in more trouble than we thought, if the fundamentals of ours lives can be so easily changed by a pen. Furthermore, even if everyone turned gay, by some bizzare act of god, the human race would not cease. There is artificial incemination, turkey basters, and whole other crazy ways to get pregnent without having sex.

Crap, I just realized you were trolling.

14. JohnRM

That is not the point. Obviously, not everyone is gay. Not everyone is racist, either. That does not mean we should be tolerant of it.

EDIT - And, no, I wasn't trolling. I did not ask for your response. I was merely stating my beliefs.

15. The Yankee

No...but they still have the right to think however weird they want, racist or not. The KKK is still around, obviously. It's when they do something to harm others, that is when it is something illegal.

Besides, if you know that we won't all turn homosexual and die out, then why the heck did you even make that statement?

16. Grav

Grav Chieftain

*playing allong anyway* Obviously it is the point to you. You said we would cease to exsist if *everyone* is gay. Now you're saying not everyone is gay. So where did you go with your previous claim? You said the previous claim as a reason why gays should not marry.

17. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Fine by me. It is no skin off my back that different (from me) variety couples get the legal bnefits/cost of marriage, or that they get same word, "marriage" for it.

18. The Yankee

I agree. No heterosexual couple will get a divorce on the basis that homosexuals are wed. I don't see where this huge Armaggedon-like threat is coming from.

19. JohnRM

I AM RECONSIDERING MY STANCE ON THIS ISSUE.

20. The Yankee

There are other ways to reproduce now. Besides, who says a homosexual woman can't get a man to have sex with her and make her pregnant?

It still doesn't explain why you tossed that horrendous argument about the entire species dying out into the ring.